Ardbeg 10

Jan. 21, 2017, 1:22 p.m.

apparently they are making great scotch in of all places … Japan

Jan. 21, 2017, 4:13 p.m.

they are famous for their high quality everything, even whiskey. but they don't make scotch, only the Scots do!

Jan. 21, 2017, 4:44 p.m.

Central City has just released a single malt.

http://centralcitybrewing.com/product/lohin-mckinnon-single-malt-whisky/

They describe it as being in the style of a Glenfiddich. They've got something more peaty in the works for release later in the year.

http://vancouversun.com/life/food/raise-local-spirits-for-robbie-burns-day

Jan. 22, 2017, 4:23 a.m.

If you get your hands on one, try it. I am still angry at myself that I did nit buy a couple of bottles when I was in Japan last year. Cheaper there than over here.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 22, 2017, 8:12 a.m.

yeah and Champagne can only come from the Champagne district BUT apparently one of the "scotch like whiskey makers" in Japan beat out the scots at a world taste off in recent years

Jan. 22, 2017, 9:36 a.m.

The Scots are understandably protective of their brand. They made several legal attempts to prevent the Glenora distillery in Cape Breton using "Glen" in their "Glen Breton" product names.

If you're ever in Cape Breton, its worth making a visit to Glenora, its a cool little spot.

Jan. 23, 2017, 11:15 a.m.

And it happens on a more regular basis, I remember reading a statement by one if the judges of one of the tastings that Scottish whisky has lost all its creativity.

Not sure about that though, maybe just politics again since there are hundreds if not thousands of distilleries worldwide making awesome whisky. Different strokes for different folks.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 23, 2017, 11:29 a.m.

Welcome to 2014 ….

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/best-whisky-in-the-world-prize-won-by-japanese-malt-for-first-time-as-scottish-distilleries-lose-out-9835583.html

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 23, 2017, 11:34 a.m.

And it happens on a more regular basis, I remember reading a statement by one if the judges of one of the tastings that Scottish whisky has lost all its creativity.

Not sure about that though, maybe just politics again since there are hundreds if not thousands of distilleries worldwide making awesome whisky. Different strokes for different folks.

It may be true of many of the big Scottish distilleries, but Bruichladdich in particular has been pretty freely developing different recipes. They had a collection called the "sixteens", a bunch of different 16 y.o. caskings. The bourbon sixteen is f*cking awesome. I got two bottles before they became near impossible to find.

Lots of smaller distilleries like Edradour doing a lot of experimentation, too.

Jan. 23, 2017, 11:41 a.m.

Welcome to 2014 ….

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/best-whisky-in-the-world-prize-won-by-japanese-malt-for-first-time-as-scottish-distilleries-lose-out-9835583.html

So 2014 is recent and I let you find it all by yerself, besides that just means its been aged another 2 years

Jan. 23, 2017, 12:05 p.m.

So 2014 is recent and I let you find it all by yerself, besides that just means its been aged another 2 years

If 2014 is the year they won a "best whisky" award from Jim Murray, you can be sure they've been making good whisky for a LOT longer than that.

Also, aging in the bottle is meaningless. Once it's out of the cask, aging has little effect on the whisky.

Jan. 23, 2017, 12:23 p.m.

Also, aging in the bottle is meaningless. Once it's out of the cask, aging has little effect on the whisky.

Which makes it so easy to rationalize buying the good stuff. God dammit.

Jan. 23, 2017, 1:50 p.m.

yeah i know bottle aging doesnt do anything but my point would be they likely have some more sitting in casks which is now 2 years older then it was in 2014

Jan. 23, 2017, 3:41 p.m.

You think Japanese whiskey is surprising, try a bottle of Amrut. If good water is a key to good whiskey, how does a distillery in India make something that good??! And I have had some very, very good Amrut.

Currently enjoying an Edradour Ibisco sherry cask (cask strength) which is exquisite. Cracking a 20y/o Laphroaig tonight. I don't think either can be bought locally, a friend of a friend is apparently an importer/distributor. I didn't ask, I just enjoy :)

Jan. 23, 2017, 3:52 p.m.

You think Japanese whiskey is surprising, try a bottle of Amrut. If good water is a key to good whiskey, how does a distillery in India make something that good??! And I have had some very, very good Amrut.

I've got a cask strength, heavily peated Amrut (15, I think) at home. Haven't had much of it. It's crazy strong neat, so def needs a bit of water to be palatable.

Currently enjoying an Edradour Ibisco sherry cask (cask strength) which is exquisite.

Lots of nice choices from this distillery. Also, a great little tour if you're in the area.

Cracking a 20y/o Laphroaig tonight. I don't think either can be bought locally, a friend of a friend is apparently an importer/distributor. I didn't ask, I just enjoy :)

That's an oldish bottle. Laphroaig dropped the 20 and 30 about 10 or 12 years ago. Instead their standards are now 18 and 25 (for greater turnover). I still have a little bit left in my 30 bottle. Very cool to do a back to back with a dram of quarter cask followed by the 30. It's like the same only more o's in the smooooooth.