Apple watch and products rant

March 21, 2018, 11:49 a.m.

My growing distain for Apple and how they back consumers into a corner via integration is becoming very loud!

Latest, I got an Apple watch for XMas 2016, about 15mos ago. I actually quite like it! Its been very useful traveling for work as it has the best alarm Ive every had and navigating and using Strava - I'm more of a traditional Swiss watch kinda guy but this Apple watch has caught me by surprise how much Ive liked it, until about a week ago when the digital crown just stopped working. No hits. Nothing to note, it just stopped working.

I googled and found that this was a not-uncommon problem and I tried the three fixes and no change.

Go into Apple and wait until a so called Genius can see me and sure enough, no fix outside of $300 to fix Apples defect/problem within my watch.

Outrageous. I told them to pound sand and they could not have cared less.

Does anyone know any local independents that will fix Apple watches? Many fix their phones but I cant find one to fix a watch. I can order tools and parts on the net but I'm not sure exactly what part I need.

March 21, 2018, 12:24 p.m.

I have the series 2 in stainless, like it a lot.  No issues yet, fingers crossed.

March 21, 2018, 1:49 p.m.

You need to buy "Apple Care for life" as Apple's service isn't what it used to be.

March 21, 2018, 2:05 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Go into Apple and wait until a so called Genius can see me and sure enough, no fix outside of $300 to fix Apples defect/problem within my watch.

That seems expensive considering that getting a Series 3, base price would be $429.00. The $129 premium for an updated watch seems to be worthwhile if you end up wanting to buy a new watch.

Also, I'm sure that there is a bit of planned obsolescence built into the watches, you can't put it past Apple.

Last edited by: rnayel on March 21, 2018, 2:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.