Aparently Being Native...

Feb. 6, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

If only the Serbs and the Croats had a guy like you around to help them out. I'm kicking myself for not suggesting this solution to them at the time. Imagine if you'd only been around for the Irish after the Potato Famine. Or for the Ukrainians after the Holodomor.

It wasn't just the Irish who had to deal with the Patato Famine. Same time as the Irish had the problem it also occurred in the Highlands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Potato_Famine

Which caused 1.7 million Scots to leave.

Now while we are talking about moving on and moving forward. Found this tidbit,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

In 1847, midway through the Great Irish Famine (1845–1849), a group of Native American Choctaws collected $710 (although many articles say the original amount was $170 after a misprint in Angie Debo's The Rise and Fall of the Choctaw Republic) and sent it to help starving Irish men, women and children. "It had been just 16 years since the Choctaw people had experienced the Trail of Tears, and they had faced starvation… It was an amazing gesture." according to Judy Allen, editor of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma's newspaper, Bishinik, based at the Oklahoma Choctaw tribal headquarters in Durant, Oklahoma. To mark the 150th anniversary, eight Irish people retraced the Trail of Tears,[76] and the donation was publicly commemorated by President Mary Robinson.

if you think about it, you get kicked off your land, lost the world you know, forced to move, many of your people do not survive. Every reason to not want to help yet some Choctaw still wanted to help.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 6, 2013, 6:10 p.m.

Actually it's not because it's not actually happening. You just want to believe it is.

Today a non native man paid more for his smokes than a native man did. True story.

Feb. 6, 2013, 7:06 p.m.

Today a non native man paid more for his smokes than a native man did. True story.

Today a native child wasn't fed dinner because her mother was only taught how to drink and be dysfunctional by her parents who were kidnapped and sent to residential school.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 6, 2013, 7:48 p.m.

Today a native child wasn't fed dinner because her mother was only taught how to drink and be dysfunctional by her parents who were kidnapped and sent to residential school.

Truth ^^^

Feb. 6, 2013, 9:21 p.m.

Oh that's why, I see.

Feb. 6, 2013, 10:01 p.m.

It wasn't like that at all where I grew up, but it was bad at smaller places where the church schools went in.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 6, 2013, 11:21 p.m.

Today a non native woman went to a Mohawk smoke shop in Tyenndinaga and paid less then the non native man.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 7, 2013, 5:15 a.m.

It wasn't like that at all where I grew up, but it was bad at smaller places where the church schools went in.

It's the smaller,more remote reserves where the problems are the worst. I wonder if thats why urban Canada doesnt understand how bad it is for some of these folks.

Even some of the remote rez's in the central interior here are pretty damn bad

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 7, 2013, 8:27 a.m.

There have been a lot of comparisons with the Scottish and Irish in this thread. Wouldn't the key difference between these two situations be time? I don't know much about Scottish history but didn't most of these traumas happen 200-300 years ago? Residential schools were kidnapping children only a half century ago.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 7, 2013, 9:03 a.m.

There have been a lot of comparisons with the Scottish and Irish in this thread. Wouldn't the key difference between these two situations be time? I don't know much about Scottish history but didn't most of these traumas happen 200-300 years ago? Residential schools were kidnapping children only a half century ago.

there were residential schools up until a lot more recently than 50 years ago, fyi.

Feb. 7, 2013, 9:10 a.m.

I was surprised to learn that the last ones closed in the late 70s and early 80s. But then I shouldn't be so surprised; the potlatch was illegal until the 1950s.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 7, 2013, 9:40 a.m.

not going to expand because of my sheer lack of information, but the res here in penticton is, well… slummy might be putting it nicely

australia was actually founded by criminals and its original purpose was for england to send over its criminals so the brits wouldnt have to deal with them in England, minding this was over 100 yrs ago.

Feb. 7, 2013, 9:42 a.m.

there were residential schools up until a lot more recently than 50 years ago, fyi.

Apparently 15 residential schools were still operating in 1979 and the last one closed in 1996 (Saskatchewan).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2008/05/16/f-timeline-residential-schools.html

:canada: :czech:

Feb. 7, 2013, 9:52 a.m.

Apparently 15 residential schools were still operating in 1979 and the last one closed in 1996 (Saskatchewan).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2008/05/16/f-timeline-residential-schools.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system

Feb. 7, 2013, 12:28 p.m.

the potlatch was illegal until the 1950s.

The 1950s was an age of enlightenment … things like prohibitions on dancing and ceremonies

Section 140 of the 1927 Indian Act:
_ "140. (1) Every Indian or other person who engages in, or assists in celebrating or encourages, either directly or indirectly, another to celebrate any Indian Festival, dance, or other ceremony of which the giving away or paying or giving back of money, goods or articles of any sort forms a part, or is a feature, whether such gift of money, goods or articles takes place before, at, or after the celebration of the same or who engages or assists in any celebration or dance of which the wounding or mutilation of the dead or living body of any human being or animal forms a part or is a feature, is guilty of an offence and is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months and not less than two months.

(3) Any Indian in the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta or British Columbia or in the Territories who participates in any Indian Dance outside the bounds of his own reserve, or who participates in any show, exhibition, performance, stampede or pageant in aboriginal costume without the consent of the Superintendent General or his authorized agent, and any person who induces or employs any Indian to take part in such dance, show, exhibition, performance, stampede or pageant, or induces any Indian to leave his reserve or employs any Indian for such a purpose, whether the dance, show, exhibition, stampede or pageant has taken place or nor, shall on summary conviction be liable to a penalty not exceeding twenty five dollars, or to imprisonment for one month, or to both penalty and imprisonment._"

and prohibitions on the purchasing or giving or selling of livestock and agricultural produce from or to Indians:

Section 120 of the 1930 Indian Act:
"120. Every person who buys or otherwise acquires from any Indian, or band or irregular band of Indians, in the province of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Alberta, or the Territories, any cattle or other animals or any grain, root crops or other produce or sells to any such Indian any goods or supplies, cattle or other animals contrary to the provisions of this Act, shall on summary conviction, be liable to a penalty not exceeding one hundred dollars, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months, or to both.27 "

weren't repealed in the 1950s. If you got a University degree or practised as a professional (doctor, lawyer) or served in the armed forces, the government could revoke your Indian status. I think even the Irish and Scots would have thought that sucked.