Aparently Being Native...

Feb. 5, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

Not many understand it, but ego drives everything that is bad. Learn to check your ego and you'll be happier.

Funny thing is, it is a lot of work, pain and tears to actually understand it - and as you said, most people do not understand how their own little, petty tyrant called "ego" is riding them.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 5, 2013, 2:30 p.m.

You're describing the Scots aristocracy and the public (ie private) boarding school system to a tee …. Oh yeah, isn't Scotland going to have a referendum on self-government soon? A referendum on the question "Should Scotland be an independent country?" is to be held in 2014. Why can't they put history behind them and turn a new page? Why do those ingrates want a special Scots "First Nation"?

Well, in reality one has to understand Scotland's past to get a grasp of the current situation. Something that Premier Marois would spend a wee bit of time researching.

Unlike Quebec, Scotland or Caledonia was a separate country. Simply the Scottish Nobles after Culloden agreed to let the English rule the Sottish people. So, now instead of a few wealthy people making the decision for all. It will be a decision by the voters, to maintain the status quo or will the Scots as a whole write a new chapter in the lands history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Canadian

Didn't know that Kerrisdale actually is Kerrysdale. Meaning "little seat of the fairies".

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 5, 2013, 2:58 p.m.

Pride and ego are the base of pretty much everything that's wrong in the world.

Don't forget greed

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Feb. 5, 2013, 4:50 p.m.

Feb. 5, 2013, 5:43 p.m.

Unlike Quebec, Scotland or Caledonia was a separate country. Simply the Scottish Nobles after Culloden agreed to let the English rule the Sottish people.

Not so simple … the English agreed to let the Scots rule them for a while

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Stuart

The Stuarts (after James) were such cock-ups, the English executed one Stuart, deposed the other and invited in a Dutchman who couldn't speak English to be their King … and the rest is history. (OK maybe a little over-simplified).

If you never seen it, this is really worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNRevRRiALg[HTML_REMOVED]playnext=1[HTML_REMOVED]list=PLDAC6CC78C5E990DE[HTML_REMOVED]feature=results_main

Back to the original topic: If the Jacobites rose up again, do you think a Vancouver judge would let them off with a little community service?

Feb. 5, 2013, 5:55 p.m.

Besides being super stingy, Scots have been too prideful, just like the Americans. This is what causes conflicts. A little humility does a body good.

If it's not Scottish, it's cr-r-r-rap!!!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 5, 2013, 6:39 p.m.

wow I'm gona grow my hair back and look like a bruther

u r black?

but in fact whitey doesn't hold the cards which is why the Can gov has never settled so it would be way better for the gov to do what they have always done which is just keep not settling … for 125 yrs

Yah the yanks sorted that mess out down there way back, eh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 5, 2013, 6:45 p.m.

If only the Serbs and the Croats had a guy like you around to help them out. I'm kicking myself for not suggesting this solution to them at the time. Imagine if you'd only been around for the Irish after the Potato Famine. Or for the Ukrainians after the Holodomor.

Or the Minnesotans after Louie Riel!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 5, 2013, 11:22 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2723245]Hands up if you're male and white and not born below the poverty line…

Feb. 6, 2013, 8:18 a.m.

Back to the original topic: If the Jacobites rose up again, do you think a Vancouver judge would let them off with a little community service?

Hmm..probably not.

According to census Canada in 2010, there are 5,219,850 Scottish Canadians.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 6, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

Besides being super stingy,

If we weren't copper wire wouldn't have been invented.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 6, 2013, 9:01 a.m.

Besides being super stingy, Scots have been too prideful, just like the Americans. This is what causes conflicts. A little humility does a body good.

Ya, but before you criticize be informed that Scrooge McDuck is a duck first, and Scots second.

Feb. 6, 2013, 9:08 a.m.

lol

I used to laugh when I'd go to the grocery store and the bargain packs were called "Scotch Buy". Stereotyping FTW!

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 6, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

lol

I used to laugh when I'd go to the grocery store and the bargain packs were called "Scotch Buy". Stereotyping FTW!

My Grandad was never bothered by any of that. He used to laugh about it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 6, 2013, 10:59 a.m.

Funny thing is, it is a lot of work, pain and tears to actually understand it - and as you said, most people do not understand how their own little, petty tyrant called "ego" is riding them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cea-hyQevg