Anything interesting in Nanaimo/Parksville?

May 28, 2022, 3:29 p.m.

Gotta head to the Island for an emergency job, is there anything interesting to do in the afternoon for a few hours?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 28, 2022, 4:28 p.m.

Meth.

May 28, 2022, 5:16 p.m.

If you're lazy, head down to Drip at Departure Bay beach. Drive over to Piper's Lagoon and check out Shack Island and Neck Point. 

If you want to stretch your legs, Jack Point has a great view of the city and some cool sandstone features. The Crow & Gate has a great patio area and good eats. Cedar farmers market is on Sundays.

Another one I like is a quick hike up Notch Hill then a drive through Nanoose Bay to Parksville. I'll usually stop at Beachcomber park (quiet, nice views) then Arrowsmith Brewing for pizza & beers.

Last edited by: Madman on May 28, 2022, 5:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2022, 5:34 p.m.

Thanks for the tips. 

I'll take people out for a beer too if time permits, even the rable rousers. Too bad Schnickle doesn't live on the Island.

Last edited by: syncro on May 28, 2022, 5:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2022, 6:46 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

If you're lazy, head down to Drip at Departure Bay beach. Drive over to Piper's Lagoon and check out Shack Island and Neck Point. 

If you want to stretch your legs, Jack Point has a great view of the city and some cool sandstone features. The Crow & Gate has a great patio area and good eats. Cedar farmers market is on Sundays.

Another one I like is a quick hike up Notch Hill then a drive through Nanoose Bay to Parksville. I'll usually stop at Beachcomber park (quiet, nice views) then Arrowsmith Brewing for pizza & beers.

Pretty much all that but I'd also say going mount Benson could easily be done  to kill time of you wanna get some exercise. 

Don't really know where the good food is there anymore

May 29, 2022, 9:54 a.m.

Hammerfest and the Texas bbq truck!

May 31, 2022, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Thanks for the tips. 

I'll take people out for a beer too if time permits, even the rable rousers. Too bad Schnickle doesn't live on the Island.

May 31, 2022, 12:19 p.m.

I'd take you out for a beer if you were game. The board is the board and tempers can flare especially considering that meaning can get mixed up in the online world. I wouldn't let a negative interaction online affect my opinion of someone I've never met IRL

May 31, 2022, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

Posted by: syncro

Thanks for the tips. 

Welcome to Splinkys lowkey grinder post.

Bring lunchmeat instead of flowers.

May 31, 2022, 5:33 p.m.

What's in a Nanaimo bar?...Hell's Angels & hookers.

June 1, 2022, 8:24 a.m.

A couple years ago when we were in Nanaimo we took the little ferry to Newcastle Island (Saysutshun) and hiked the trail around the island. It's about 10 km and fairly easy and although not super spectacular it was nice and quiet and we enjoyed it. Just an idea.

June 1, 2022, 8:54 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

What's in a Nanaimo bar?...Hell's Angels & hookers.

Awesome. Stealing that one for sure.

June 4, 2022, 4:28 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Meth.

I was going to redeem this thread with some cool pictures from around town but I changed my mind after walking around old city this afternoon. Pretty fucking grim and I've lived here a long time.

June 5, 2022, 5:43 p.m.

lots of great new places to eat, drink "beverages", and enjoy some solid top quality coffees...but since I'm late to the party and see that the old school "surrey by sea" mentality hasnt quite left yet - I guess I will have to elaborate in a post mortem fashion.  Yes, we have a homeless issue (as does every moderate temperature town/city), yes, there is a club of people who ride motorcycles, strippers: not a single place to see that any more...well...okay there was that one guy outside the library who thought spiders from space were invading his body...but that's no worse than a ham-shammy, is it?  Next time you're over....feel free to DM me....I know I owe you a beverage or whatever from years gone by and would gladly provide some recommendations other than "meth and hells angels and strippers"

Loud Hubs Save Lives