Anyone using Telus TV?

Feb. 6, 2009, 1:59 p.m.

Hey, I just got Telus TV a month ago.
They gave me a "free" PVR as well. It great. I quite enjoy that. Rewinding live TV? Very fun.
For me, the reception is better than Shaw and definitely cheaper! I figure the cost of getting out of the contract will be absorbed by the money I am saving in 6 months.
Yes, Cam you cannot "surf" channels traditionally, (there is a bit of delay) however, I find looking a the guide, and choosing from there to be faster than channel surfing anyway.

Just my 2 cents :)

Feb. 6, 2009, 2:11 p.m.

Nope. Your entire neighbourhood is connected to the same copper wires bringing power into the houses.

The problem with PoE is installing a filter to the block the signal from going out your circuit breakers and along the street wires.

Point of order … PoE is Power over Ethernet which uses an unused pair on the Cat 5/6 cable to deliver power to remote devices.

EoP is Ethernet over Powerline which use the house wiring to network your Ethernet.

I did some digging, and the system is secured at the hardware level using 168 bit encoding. If you look at the manuals for the Corinex system (http://www.corinex.com/product/5.html) you can find the setup method that keeps others off your LAN.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 6, 2009, 5:58 p.m.

Yes, Cam you cannot "surf" channels traditionally, (there is a bit of delay) however, I find looking a the guide, and choosing from there to be faster than channel surfing anyway.

Just my 2 cents :)

the worst part of digital TV. I enjoy surfing and often the best things are found randomly.

the fact that you cant train your guide to scroll with a a double button push is super haggard. Page down doesnt cut it. On the old style cable it scrolled.

Waaaaaayyyy better. Also they are raping programming to put in their own ads, and 90% of the "new" channels are recycled shit with extra commercials.

Digital TV is also cutting out the non-regional channel selection.

Anyone that has ever seen a Vern Fonk ad will understand why this sucks. Soon we will be watching all the same commercials on all 200 channels.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Feb. 6, 2009, 6:26 p.m.

We've lost Vern Fonk ads?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo….

Feb. 6, 2009, 6:30 p.m.

remember to honk…..

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Feb. 6, 2009, 6:37 p.m.

On that topic - I wonder whatever happened to 'the Captain'.

Aye aye, and goodbye.

Feb. 6, 2009, 7:23 p.m.

Point of order … PoE is Power over Ethernet which uses an unused pair on the Cat 5/6 cable to deliver power to remote devices.

EoP is Ethernet over Powerline which use the house wiring to network your Ethernet.

re: Peace on Earth/Purity of Essence - The dyslexic in me stands corrected.

As per the encryption, I guess I trust my neighbours enough not to crack it. Well, most of my neightbours.

Feb. 8, 2009, 8:15 a.m.

telus is the worst company ever.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 8, 2009, 9:44 a.m.

fuck the incompetence that is telus is inexpressible in words.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 31, 2009, 12:53 a.m.

Spoke with Telus today they upgraded me to a better package for much less than what I'm paying now and offered Telus TV at a discount as well. I think I might bite.

Anyone have anything else to add regarding Telus TV?

March 31, 2009, 1:13 a.m.

Caution - Doubly Biased Opinion. I work for TELUS _and _I worked on the TELUS TV project.

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience, Cam. A noisy fan would drive me crazy. The new stb is perforated like swiss cheese and has no fan.

How new? My parents got Telus TV a month ago and their STB makes an absolute shit ton of noise, and, like Cam said, it doesn't stop when you turn the thing off. Luckily the TV room is in their basement, so the only time it's a hassle for them will be in the summer when my mom wants to read down there because it's colder.

Other than that, I don't think they've had many problems with it. One night when I was over there it started buffering everything all the time and whatnot, which was annoying as hell, but that's all I've seen, and my dad would be complaining about it all the time if there were more instances than that.

March 31, 2009, 7:47 a.m.

We're officially Telus free :D

Got rid of my telus cell for a better, cheaper deal thru Rogers, and just moved our home phone to Shaw as well. Half the price of Telus basic plan and way more features.

Telus uses archaic business models, hope they lose more customers.

March 31, 2009, 10:12 a.m.

I'll say one thing. Telus TV was still running perfectly when some of my Shaw channels went down a couple of weekends ago (when it snowed). Typical Shaw outage.

Guests left and watched the game at home.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 31, 2009, 10:18 a.m.

I'm surprised by that. We're out in the sticks - townhouse complex in langley surrounded by farms - and Shaw hasn't gone down once in 16 months.

March 31, 2009, 10:34 a.m.

^^^Shaw outages in North Van (TV and Internet) are frequent and regular. Phoning tech support is useless.

I usually get in about four words ("My TV/Internet isn't working…") before the tech starts laughing and tells me they're aware of it and are working on it.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk