Anyone using Telus TV?

Feb. 4, 2009, 9:26 a.m.

telus sucks but is so much better than bell it makes my balls ache

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Feb. 4, 2009, 9:35 a.m.

i hear hookers and blow will cure that right up.

Feb. 4, 2009, 10:10 a.m.

telus sucks but is so much better than bell it makes my balls ache

Telus makes your balls ache?

Feb. 4, 2009, 10:45 a.m.

Telus what makes your balls ache.

Feb. 4, 2009, 10:52 a.m.

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU: On their PVR you cant record a channel and watch another. That alone is a deal breaker.

That, and their horrible customer service system keeps me away from Telus. I can handle touch-tone based menu systems (press 1 for , 2 for , etc.) but the Telus system, where you have to talk to empty space and describe the problem/issue drives me nuts. I just can't handle talking to a machine.

So now I have no services (phone, TV or cell) from Telus.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 4, 2009, 11:10 a.m.

One plus side to Telus was the user interface which was actually quite clear and functional.

The most annoying thing about the CPU fan was that it didn't turn off when you powered off the unit. I'm a bit fussy about not using power unnecessarily - and about noise in my environment and you could hear the fan on the whole main floor - so I would unplug the unit. This meant that you would have to wait for it to boot up every time you wanted to turn on the TV - which took at least three minutes and sometimes it took more than one attempt.

It seems I am now going to escape the contract escape clause because I spoke to the right person earlier - but that was just luck really. She also offered me Telus 6.0 (their fastest) internet for $24.95 a month but I'm going to try Shaw for now - since I'm on a contract there is no downside.

Another plus with Telus was that their modem came with wireless and Shaw doesn't.

I have Shaw's higher speed version and it rips along about 5 times as fast as Telus 'Enhanced' did.

All in all it's time for me to cut loose. PVR sounds interesting though Alan. I'm not on a contract now though so I could switch at any time with no penalty.

My Telus cell phone expires in about 10 days when I'll be picking up an iPhone and going Rogers. Ironically my Rogers customer experience has been even worse than with Telus - but I can't resist an iPhone. At that point I will be completely free of Telus.

Feb. 4, 2009, 11:28 a.m.

The most annoying thing about the CPU fan was that it didn't turn off when you powered off the unit. I'm a bit fussy about not using power unnecessarily - and about noise in my environment and you could hear the fan on the whole main floor - so I would unplug the unit. This meant that you would have to wait for it to boot up every time you wanted to turn on the TV - which took at least three minutes and sometimes it took more than one attempt.

This must have been a different unit than we have, ours is a tiny little thing that doesn't make any noise and doesn't seem to need to boot up although it does seem to get kind of hot (maybe a heat sinked version?). I'm also fussy about excessive noise and power and our little unit I've never even noticed.

I have Shaw's higher speed version and it rips along about 5 times as fast as Telus 'Enhanced' did.

Ya I've heard this. Which is why when our contract is up we'll likely be switching to Shaw. 10mbps at the high end compared to the 6mbps we have now and everything I've heard points to it being faster at comparative speeds anyways.

Feb. 4, 2009, 12:24 p.m.

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU: On their PVR you cant record a channel and watch another. That alone is a deal breaker.

Apparently there is a work around for that (found it on the site O_o posted in this thread):

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21824786-BC-telus-TV-I-figured-out-how-to-tape-1-channel-watch-anoth

AlanB has been testing it on the various combinations of non-HD [HTML_REMOVED] HD signals and so far it has worked on all of them although I think he still has the HD [HTML_REMOVED] HD combination to test.

Feb. 4, 2009, 1:15 p.m.

All in all it's time for me to cut loose. PVR sounds interesting though Alan. I'm not on a contract now though so I could switch at any time with no penalty.

My Telus cell phone expires in about 10 days when I'll be picking up an iPhone and going Rogers. Ironically my Rogers customer experience has been even worse than with Telus - but I can't resist an iPhone. At that point I will be completely free of Telus.

Can't argue with market forces. If you've found something that works for you, then go for it. Companies respond when people vote with their wallet.

With forums like nsmb.com to spread the word, it's as much seller beware as buyer beware. My only goal is keep the facts straight.

Feb. 4, 2009, 1:28 p.m.

AlanB has been testing it on the various combinations of non-HD [HTML_REMOVED] HD signals and so far it has worked on all of them although I think he still has the HD [HTML_REMOVED] HD combination to test.

Caution - Doubly Biased Opinion. I work for TELUS _and _I worked on the TELUS TV project.

Both SD [HTML_REMOVED] SD and HD [HTML_REMOVED] SD worked for me. Whether it works for you or not will depend on how good your connection is. You mileage will vary.

Haven't tried the HD [HTML_REMOVED] HD combo yet. I'll let you know the results.

This seems to confirm that the record function does not use the tuner. The DSLReports thread hints about an "legit" way coming eventually. Personally I'd prefer it they stored the recordings at a central location. Why have 1,000's of disks in houses when a central RAID system would be so much more reliable?

Feb. 5, 2009, 9:58 p.m.

Caution - Doubly Biased Opinion. I work for TELUS _and _I worked on the TELUS TV project.

This just in. Recording HD while viewing HD works for me. :clap::clap::clap:

Once the recording was running and the channel was changed once, changing channels again was no problem.

Whether or not it works for you may depend on many things including your stb model and connection speed. I have a great connection. Your mileage will vary.

Almost forgot to mention the best part of getting your TV over the internet. Thanks to the free installation, the living room now has an internet connection. The home entertainment pc won't be far behind! :rocker:

Feb. 6, 2009, 8:51 a.m.

Almost forgot to mention the best part of getting your TV over the internet. Thanks to the free installation, the living room now has an internet connection. The home entertainment pc won't be far behind! :rocker:

[Thread jack]You can get 200 mbps ethernet to any room in the house that has an electrical outlet with this little baby[/Thread jack]

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 6, 2009, 10:32 a.m.

[Thread jack]You can get 200 mbps ethernet to any room in the house that has an electrical outlet with this little baby[/Thread jack]

Kn.

How's the privacy with that? I heard one of the issues with PoE is that it works so well your neighbour can sniff your network.

Feb. 6, 2009, 10:53 a.m.

How's the privacy with that? I heard one of the issues with PoE is that it works so well your neighbour can sniff your network.

Wouldn't your neighbour have to plug into your electical since it's a physical connection? Although I guess plugging into an outdoor outlet would work as well as an indoor one.

Feb. 6, 2009, 12:29 p.m.

Wouldn't your neighbour have to plug into your electical since it's a physical connection? Although I guess plugging into an outdoor outlet would work as well as an indoor one.

Nope. Your entire neighbourhood is connected to the same copper wires bringing power into the houses.

The problem with PoE is installing a filter to the block the signal from going out your circuit breakers and along the street wires.