Anyone using Telus TV?

Feb. 3, 2009, 2:42 p.m.

After being a loyal Telus customer for the past 5 years I will be switching once my contract is up next month. Telus seems to consistently "offer" lower prices through bundles then REDUCE prices shortly thereafter for non contract services such as enhanced adsl, which I currently use.

I'll be switching to Naked DSL and going to Solo Mobile for phone services as they offer an unlimited incoming calls package which suits my needs perfectly. The Naked DSL service is $29.95 per month vs close to $40 I'm currently paying for the internet part of my "bundled" service. Enhanced adsl is currently being offered at $35/month without a bundle from Telus. Why am I paying $5 for the privilege of being locked in a contract that forces me to pay $5 more with my contract? Solo service is $20 per month. This would reduce my overall expenses for the two by about $30. WITH NO CONTRACTS.

Thanks Telus for making me feel like I've been paying more than I have to.

Feb. 3, 2009, 3:22 p.m.

also make sure check out the forums over at DSL Reports.

they have information you may not be able to get here and much more.

Feb. 3, 2009, 3:47 p.m.

Naked DSL is a great idea that should have been around way before now. Too bad it's only 3mbps, especially if you're going to be doing heavy voip/skype/DL or UL.

We use Telus TV as well as land line and internet and have since we moved here about 5 years back. After not bothering with anything other than antenna TV and the 2 or 3 channels it afforded (my wife and I generally just play games and watch DVD's/download TV shows). we got Telus TV when my daughter was born so that she had something to watch in the middle of the night when she was up nursing the baby. It's definitely a little sluggish compared to regular TV when changing channels or menus but we're talking in quarter-of-a-second timing so who cares. You get occasional digital noise and when the internet goes down your TV goes away too but the picture is generally good and HD channels look nice too. If either my wife or I cared much about watching TV this would likely bother us a lot more than it does.

Just recently we realized we were hardly using the Telus TV anymore now that the baby sleeps through the night most of the time, and we've switched most of our long distance calling to Skype so really the only thing we're using is the internet. We shopped around and realized we could cancel Telus entirely, go with Shaw 10mbps internet and save cash.

We called to find out if we could get out of our contract and ran into the same issue as Cam: They charge $240 to get out of the contract. So the wife explained to them (In a very pleasantly convincing way I'm sure…) exactly why we were planning on doing it. Now our total bill for all 3 services came to about $160/month or so, and after hearing our reasoning the agent made some 'adjustments' that resulted in our total monthly bill now being just over $70 for all three plus upgraded our net to 6mbps. For what it is that's a crazy deal.

At this point we figured we might as well ride out the 2 years of the contract paying less than half what we were, then switch over to Shaw :).

In short, it's not bad, if you can get it for a steal. If you already have it, by all means call and complain. If you don't, and you watch a lot of TV, you're probably better off looking elsewhere…..

Feb. 3, 2009, 4:17 p.m.

Huge Report

Thanks for writing all that up!

Feb. 3, 2009, 5:17 p.m.

Thanks for writing all that up!

I second the motion. Well done, ADS.

For all companies, it's way cheaper to retain customers than recruit new ones. It's surprising what you can get if you threaten to leave.

Feb. 3, 2009, 5:38 p.m.

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU: On their PVR you cant record a channel and watch another. That alone is a deal breaker.

Feb. 3, 2009, 8:59 p.m.

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU: On their PVR you cant record a channel and watch another. That alone is a deal breaker.

ya if youre a freakin couch potato

Feb. 3, 2009, 9:04 p.m.

ya if youre a freakin couch potato

or if you live with someone and don't want to ever have to suffer through american idol or so you think you can look like a douche

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Feb. 3, 2009, 9:06 p.m.

or if you live with someone and don't want to ever have to suffer through american idol or so you think you can look like a douche

are you whipped

Feb. 3, 2009, 9:41 p.m.

are you whipped

for not watching crappy shows?

Feb. 4, 2009, 12:02 a.m.

After being a loyal Telus customer for the past 5 years I will be switching once my contract is up next month. Telus seems to consistently "offer" lower prices through bundles then REDUCE prices shortly thereafter for non contract services such as enhanced adsl, which I currently use.

I'll be switching to Naked DSL and going to Solo Mobile for phone services as they offer an unlimited incoming calls package which suits my needs perfectly. The Naked DSL service is $29.95 per month vs close to $40 I'm currently paying for the internet part of my "bundled" service. Enhanced adsl is currently being offered at $35/month without a bundle from Telus. Why am I paying $5 for the privilege of being locked in a contract that forces me to pay $5 more with my contract? Solo service is $20 per month. This would reduce my overall expenses for the two by about $30. WITH NO CONTRACTS.

Thanks Telus for making me feel like I've been paying more than I have to.

I just got out of solo, and am now on Rogersa. Solo is horrible. texts were being received up to a week late, bad reception, could hardly hear what people where saying if not indoors, and very poor customer service. on hold for hours at a time.

koodoo is a far better service.

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

Feb. 4, 2009, 12:20 a.m.

solo is bell right? i'd steer clear and go koodo like mentioned above

also, if looking for cheap cell with no contract, fido has a 20 dolla plan with no system access fee that has free nights and weekends

Feb. 4, 2009, 8:37 a.m.

For all companies, it's way cheaper to retain customers than recruit new ones. It's surprising what you can get if you threaten to leave.

Really? You should tell that to your Telus Mobility staff. After 8 years with Telus (actually 10 but they could only find 8) I asked what kind of deal I'd get for renewing with them - nothing nada zero zip. Pretty much thanks for the money now f*** off. So now I'm with Rogers.

solo is bell right? i'd steer clear and go koodo like mentioned above

I'd skip Koodo - it's Telus, so the same crappy service applies.

Feb. 4, 2009, 9 a.m.

the only positive thing i can see coming from telus is the new 15mb package scheduled to be released later this month.

shaw currently offers a package that meets or beats that but my experience with Shaw has been less than positive as well. port blocking and bandwidth throttling/traffic shaping meant many power users who could actually use all that bandwidth were shit out of luck. at least the customer service from Shaw was marginally better (at least they speak english).

i'm really hoping these smaller companies are able to provide better, if not consistent, service compared to the bigger guys. yeah i know they lease their lines from the big guys but at least you're not dealing with them directly.

CraigH, if you're not a "power user" i would suggest going with Shaw as they are offering a package where you get internet service with the option to add cable tv up to channel 50ish for $20 more per month. See if you can get a voip phone added to that bundle to meet your budget/needs.

Feb. 4, 2009, 9:05 a.m.

Really? You should tell that to your Telus Mobility staff. After 8 years with Telus (actually 10 but they could only find 8) I asked what kind of deal I'd get for renewing with them - nothing nada zero zip. Pretty much thanks for the money now f*** off. So now I'm with Rogers.

its going to be interesting to see what anal… i mean customer retention is going to offer when i give them the scoop. then politely let them know my parents have been faithful Telus customers for over 30 years and that they will be switching alongside me.

I'd skip Koodo - it's Telus, so the same crappy service applies.

cheers thanks for the tip. +1 for you.