Anyone use a VPN service?

Nov. 19, 2012, 2:23 p.m.

Im after a fast VPN service with servers in the UK and US. Ive tried my-private-network and streamingvpn but their throughput is too slow. Im getting around 2Mbps with either of these but want 4-5 Mbps reliably.

Any recomendations?

BTW: when not connected to the VPN, Im getting anywhere between 18 to 24Mbps thru Shaw so my Broadband should be capable of supporting the speeds I want.

Nov. 19, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

Im after a fast VPN service with servers in the UK and US. Ive tried my-private-network and streamingvpn but their throughput is too slow. Im getting around 2Mbps with either of these but want 4-5 Mbps reliably.

Any recomendations?

BTW: when not connected to the VPN, Im getting anywhere between 18 to 24Mbps thru Shaw so my Broadband should be capable of supporting the speeds I want.

I've been using WiTopia for the last few months. I typically pull in over 10mbps from Seattle, of course mileage varies depending on which server you run through, but they have servers in many many countries. Really easy to use as well..

Without VPN we typically pull in 15-17 mbps.

Nov. 19, 2012, 3:37 p.m.

Unblock-us.com

Works great for mobile devices as they have set it up so you appear outside of the US if you have to, without doing anything.

Eg. I can use a video app available only outside of the US, while at the same time access Hulu, Netflix US etc.

Costs $5/month

Worth every penny.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 19, 2012, 3:37 p.m.

I've been using unblock-us.com for a couple months now with good luck. $5/mo.

Nov. 19, 2012, 4:22 p.m.

I've been using WiTopia for the last few months. I typically pull in over 10mbps from Seattle, of course mileage varies depending on which server you run through, but they have servers in many many countries. Really easy to use as well..

Without VPN we typically pull in 15-17 mbps.

Hmmm, Seattle…are you in Vancouver? Id expect pretty good results from somewhere close by. Have you got such good results from Europe?

Thanks, gonna give a them a try anyway…

June 2, 2014, 6:42 p.m.

Unblock us is awesome, thanks for the tip. Shaw cable is cut forever in my house.

June 2, 2014, 7:34 p.m.

Just a PSA, unblock-us is very different from a VPN service. Your provider can still know what you're doing if that's an issue.

June 2, 2014, 8:25 p.m.

PrivateInternetAccess is what I've been using for over two yrs now. Not a single complaint and have many server locations so you can quickly and easily change your "location" if necessary.

June 4, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

I use Astrill. A little pricier than others but it performs very very well, even in China.

www.natooke.com

June 4, 2014, 7:13 p.m.

I've been us Btguard about a year now. A good fast enough vpn…

June 5, 2014, 12:40 p.m.

Unblock us is awesome, thanks for the tip. Shaw cable is cut forever in my house.

I am using a seed box now. It is great for maintaining ratios on private trackers… if you are in to that sort of thing.

Jan. 22, 2016, 1:37 p.m.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/netflix-is-carrying-out-its-threat-to-block-vpn-users-nflx/ar-BBoyG4X?li=BBnbfcL[HTML_REMOVED]ocid=mailsignoutmd

It appears Netflix was serious about restricting access to users who access the service from a different country.

Earlier this month, Netflix announced that it would crack down on VPN use.

Using a VPN, which stands for Virtual Personal Network, meant that someone in the UK could access the US version of Netflix, for example.

This is important for users because the deals for TV and film rights differ from country to country, meaning that some versions — such as the US one — have a wider range of content.

Netflix has previously been fairly blasé about letting users do this, making the crackdown a big change in policy.

The reason for this ambivalence was simple: The company had a lot of customers who paid for the service because they could watch shows elsewhere. China, for example, has 20 million Netflix users despite the service not officially being available, all of whom access the service with a VPN.

At the time of the announcement, Netflix said "in coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are" and it seems this is coming true.

This is a dramatic change from the comments made by Neil Hunt, Netflix's chief product officer, a year ago. "The claims that we have changed our policy on VPN are false," said Hunt. "People who are using a VPN to access our service from outside of the area will find that it still works exactly as it has always done."

However, uFlix, a VPN that operates out of Australia, is reporting that some users cannot access any non-Australian versions of the service. Anyone who tries gets this message: "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again."

There was speculation after Netflix announced the change that the company couldn't follow through on it. However, the report from uFlix seems to contradict this assessment.

How Netflix managed to crack down on VPN use when it had previously stated it couldn't is unclear. The company might be targetting specific VPNs, such as uFlix in Australia.

Jan. 22, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

I can confirm that ZenMate no longer works on netflix, not that we actually used it that much.

Jan. 22, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

I know for a fact that media sites are targeting specific VPN providers. I only (mostly) avoid torrent sites because I feel an obligation to get content legitimately. But if providers like NetFlix and their licensors can't get their act together and leave us with the option of paying for nothing but shit, I'll say goodbye to Netflix and turn to the Expanding Universe of "free" alternatives out there.

Jan. 22, 2016, 2:37 p.m.

Its going to be a game of whack a mole for them. Expect VPN providers to have a solution soonish…