Anyone own a Jeep?

Jan. 24, 2012, 4:59 p.m.

A friend of a friend had an 88 or 89 cherokee. If he wasn't a mechanic it wouldn't be running. All kinds of trouble. Motor, gaskets, transmissions, rear dif, etc etc.

They are unibody frame so if you do off road it hard, the whole vehicle will start to twist and doors will no longer close properly.

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

Jan. 24, 2012, 5:48 p.m.

I have a ZJ (grand cherokee) and its pretty solid for what it is.

The 4.0 is pretty indestructible, and don't worry about the axles unless you plan on running big tires.

The Cherokee should have a 232 (part time) t case and it's not too bad either.

the problem that everyone bitches about with the dana 35's is that if you blow a clip off of your axle end the whole works will walk out and you will be in for a big surprise.

Jan. 24, 2012, 7:07 p.m.

Adam you say Jeep is poo, you say yota is poo.

What isn't?

can you back up your statements? ;)

Zumi if your just commuting and fire roads for riding, get a car. Because no matter what, with a Jeep your going to want a hitch rack on it. So, by the sound of it, a car would be a better fit for you, and the fact it'll be much cheaper on gas ;)

gerewh0re

i've tried sticking it in her butt and peeing, she feels that is more a gift for me than her.

Jan. 24, 2012, 7:13 p.m.

we get nothign good in north america.
taco is the least shitty of all the things we get here.

lots of small diesel trucks available everywhere else except here.

jeep has weak ass axles, lots of guys i know are either runnin toy diffs or exploder rear end. if you put any kind of lift on a jeep you need to either do a SYE or drop the tcase (thereby negating any gains of the lift)

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:32 p.m.

I had a 99 TJ with a 4.0 and a 5speed. Awsome vehicle. Had 326 000 km when I sold it, and it was still on the original clutch. I am kicking myself for selling it.

I am now driving a 06 LJ rubicon. It is an awsome vehicle as well. I hope to put on at least as many km as my 99. The 4.0 is a tractor motor that goes forever. Not that great on fuel, but alot of torque for its size.

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:35 p.m.

I've owned 3 cherokees; a 1990, 1998 and now a 2000.

I've also owned some other SUV's and trucks such as an early 1990's 4runner etc.

The 2000 is more refined than the pre-1997 models and has the most powerful iteration of the 4.0 engine. The AW4 automatic transmission is bomproof and the 5spd manual is solid as well. Models with ABS came with the weak D35 rear axle, which really won't give you any problems for the use you mentioned. If you want to get into serious 4wheeling down the road then look for a model without ABS since they'll come with the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle which is easily strong enough to handle 35's without problems. The front D30 is plenty strong up to 33's and many guys run 35's without problems.

The 4.0 is pretty bombproof as long as it hasn't been overheated too many times or run low on oil, it'll be good to go, same as every other engine out there.

I get great gas mileage from mine. My 1990 and 1998 were automatics with the 4.0 and I could consistently get 26mpg on the highway from Nelson to Vancouver many many times no matter how hard I drove them. The 2000, which I'm driving now, is a 5spd and I just got 29mpg on the same drive with some 4wd in the snow.

By comparison my 1990 4runner V6 was lucky to get 18mpg on the same drive but was dangerously underpowered for highway driving and my full size F150 with a 5.0 V8 gets 19mpg on the same drive, I can't see why anyone would say the 4runner is a better vehicle when it gets worse mileage than a full-size pickup and can barely maintain speed on the highway.

I've never had any problems with any of my jeeps and have probably logged more than a couple hundred thousand km's between them without anything more than regular oil changes and transmission fluid changes. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I know more people driving old Toyota's who spend thousands a year on repairs but keep putting money into them "because it's a Toyota". Bottom line is that any older vehicle can be good or bad depending on the previous service and well, sometimes you just get a lemon.

I think the price might still be a little high, I'd offer $2k like you said.

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:49 p.m.

Zumi if your just commuting and fire roads for riding, get a car. Because no matter what, with a Jeep your going to want a hitch rack on it. So, by the sound of it, a car would be a better fit for you, and the fact it'll be much cheaper on gas ;)

Yeah I wouldn't mind a car, but when it comes to shuttling/building, lots (not all) of the roads I use are not an option for a car.

I'm just more or less wanting to know if that year and model of Cherokee would be a reliable buy at that high of mileage and at that price. Good responses though so far, thanks alot for the help.

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:54 p.m.

For more accurate numbers on fuel economy: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform[HTML_REMOVED]path=1[HTML_REMOVED]year1=2000[HTML_REMOVED]year2=2000[HTML_REMOVED]make=Jeep[HTML_REMOVED]model=Cherokee%204WD[HTML_REMOVED]srchtyp=ymm

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:11 p.m.

For more accurate numbers on fuel economy: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform[HTML_REMOVED]path=1[HTML_REMOVED]year1=2000[HTML_REMOVED]year2=2000[HTML_REMOVED]make=Jeep[HTML_REMOVED]model=Cherokee%204WD[HTML_REMOVED]srchtyp=ymm

I use the Canadian version of that since the site you listed is in US miles/gallon and we use imperial numbers in Canada, I don't find that US site too accurate either. Here's a link:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings-search.cfm

The Office of Energy Efficiency says the 2000 Cherokee is rated at 28mpg highway and 20mpg in city driving. I guess since I drive like a grandpa these days I get a little better mileage :)

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:28 p.m.

get a real jeep!

:drool:

although it must suck in the rain.

Jan. 24, 2012, 10:31 p.m.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a car, but when it comes to shuttling/building, lots (not all) of the roads I use are not an option for a car.

I'm just more or less wanting to know if that year and model of Cherokee would be a reliable buy at that high of mileage and at that price. Good responses though so far, thanks alot for the help.

Subaru Impreza slays fire roads ;)

gerewh0re

i've tried sticking it in her butt and peeing, she feels that is more a gift for me than her.

Jan. 25, 2012, 7:50 a.m.

I use the Canadian version of that since the site you listed is in US miles/gallon and we use imperial numbers in Canada, I don't find that US site too accurate either. Here's a link:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings-search.cfm

The Office of Energy Efficiency says the 2000 Cherokee is rated at 28mpg highway and 20mpg in city driving. I guess since I drive like a grandpa these days I get a little better mileage :)

I actually find the US site a lot more realistic. In three different vehicles, we've never obtained the Cdn numbers, but have generally been pretty close to the US numbers. I believe they revised their testing methods a couple of years ago to better estimate real world driving. Of course YMMV. heh

US site has L/100km too. Not sure why people still use MPG in Canada when gas is sold in litres and cars' tripometers are in km :???: Seems like unnecessary work.

Jan. 25, 2012, 4:03 p.m.

I built up a cherokee a little while back, it was fairly reliable, they can have there issue's though, but generally not with the drivetrain, 4.0l is a good engine. I also would have to say that the brakes suck, way under powered. Check for things like worn suspension components,oil leaks,exhuast manifold cracks.

here was my jeep

Jan. 25, 2012, 4:46 p.m.

Yeah, i'm having a hard time deciding whether its a good buy at such high Km's. I might just have to take it for a test drive and end it with a stop at a mechanics/someone who knows more than I do.

Jan. 25, 2012, 5:41 p.m.

Yeah, i'm having a hard time deciding whether its a good buy at such high Km's. I might just have to take it for a test drive and end it with a stop at a mechanics/someone who knows more than I do.

Never buy a used vehicle without having it inspected by a technician, best money youll even spend, could save you lots of money in the long run.