Anyone here from Fort Mac?

May 18, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

^ Case in point- the Black Saturday Bushfires:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires#Fatalities

The majority of the 170 or so folks who died - did so in their houses.

(although in fairness to our Aussie mates - at the time the "accepted thinking" was that staying in place and fighting a fire threatening your home was safer than the accepted Canadian practice of - RUN AWAAAAY)

May 18, 2016, 5:06 p.m.

There's also the smarts to get out of there. We've witnessed many catastrophes around the world where residents could leave but wouldn't.

True but I think people are inclined to leave their homes when the threat of fire is imminant though. It's not like a storm is it? I'd bet the reason Aussies are more likely to get caught out is because fires are so commonplace there. A cry wolf attitude due to kneejerk evacuations etc.

Counterpoint could also be that simple small-town people are far more inclined to obey orders to leave and don't question authority?

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 18, 2016, 5:55 p.m.

CBC News: Why costly forest fires come back to terrorize us some more: Don Pittis. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwvszM7Co

Artical on fighting an FF

May 18, 2016, 6:48 p.m.

Counterpoint could also be that simple small-town people are far more inclined to obey orders to leave and don't question authority?

Ya that must be it.

Who was it that had the signature that went something along the lines of:
"City's are refuges of the weak. The fish that didn't evolve."

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 18, 2016, 9:45 p.m.

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/rowan-theres-a-reason-residents-kept-their-cool-during-the-mass-exodus-from-fort-mcmurray

Looks like I'm not the only one with this theory.

Ya that must be it.

Who was it that had the signature that went something along the lines of:
"City's are refuges of the weak. The fish that didn't evolve."

That was me. I forget who wrote it on here thought.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 19, 2016, 6:18 a.m.

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/rowan-theres-a-reason-residents-kept-their-cool-during-the-mass-exodus-from-fort-mcmurray

Looks like I'm not the only one with this theory.

k

Imagine that……must be a bullshit story though. The only culture they have in the Mac is jacked up trucks and lucky lager.

Pastor of Muppets

May 19, 2016, 7:16 a.m.

It was a forest fire FFS. Anyone would think they survived a direct hit from an asteroid.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 19, 2016, 11:22 a.m.

Imagine that……must be a bullshit story though. The only culture they have in the Mac is jacked up trucks and lucky lager.

Climb off your cross. I tried to discuss this with you without crapping on the people in Ft Mac with no response. You never even attempted to show that this was anything more than your opinion. Despite this article that agrees with your POV there is still nothing to support that this was a major factor. The point most of us were making is that the town at large is not safety trained and don't run safety drills in their living room AND that people outside Ft Mac are not imbeciles walking through a Nerf world like you want to believe.

I have read plenty of the evacuees stories and they are all pretty much the same. They heard the news, packed what they could and tried driving out of town, giving rides where they could to people walking. Quite a few people ran out of gas and just left there vehicles. This is where luck played a role, because if the fire managed to burn cars and block the highway things would have been a lot different and there would have been panic I assure you.

Even the dipshits managed to get in their cars and leave, and yes, there are plenty of dipshits in Ft Mac. There were even people that didn't leave at all, but they got lucky.

That is just my opinion, but you can take it personally if you have to.

May 19, 2016, 12:48 p.m.

Climb off your cross. I tried to discuss this with you without crapping on the people in Ft Mac with no response. You never even attempted to show that this was anything more than your opinion. Despite this article that agrees with your POV there is still nothing to support that this was a major factor. The point most of us were making is that the town at large is not safety trained and don't run safety drills in their living room AND that people outside Ft Mac are not imbeciles walking through a Nerf world like you want to believe.

I have read plenty of the evacuees stories and they are all pretty much the same. They heard the news, packed what they could and tried driving out of town, giving rides where they could to people walking. Quite a few people ran out of gas and just left there vehicles. This is where luck played a role, because if the fire managed to burn cars and block the highway things would have been a lot different and there would have been panic I assure you.

Even the dipshits managed to get in their cars and leave, and yes, there are plenty of dipshits in Ft Mac. There were even people that didn't leave at all, but they got lucky.

That is just my opinion, but you can take it personally if you have to.

^
That's where this thread to end.

I don't really get all the chest thumping and macho bullshit here. It's getting old. It's like some of you are just looking for a fight, and being that it's on the internet and you're adults, makes it quite lame.

May 19, 2016, 6:04 p.m.

I can tolerate a good pilsner but I'm sorry drinking lager is jus so rong

May 19, 2016, 6:09 p.m.

I can tolerate a good pilsner but I'm sorry drinking lager is jus so rong

I seriously dont get the lucky love, it tastes like crap and isnt even made on the island.
I think its one of those things where people just have to be seen drinking it.\yuck

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 19, 2016, 7:48 p.m.

Quite a few people ran out of gas and just left there vehicles.

If there is any irony to this event, running out of gas would be it.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 19, 2016, 8:30 p.m.

At least they didn't cause a car accident and get killed, but they could still get killed by someone driving a car while walking on the road or getting picked up in a car by someone who had all kinds of training

The correlation between industrial training and the fatality free evacuation of ft mac is a very big stretch

I mean this is the focus group that invented the phrase

"Hold my beer (lager) and watch this!"

May 19, 2016, 10:59 p.m.

Elle Oh Fucking elle.

Aren't those site fire trucks similar rigs to what is used at major airports? Surely people from Da Mac and Canada have boarded a large commercial airliner in their lives!

Also, these large sites have full-time professional firefighters so…

Either that or CNRL Horizon is just trolling for data :lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 3, 2016, 8:20 p.m.

So people moving back and need a new place to stay are finding that landlords are jacking up the rent.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells