Anyone here from Fort Mac?

May 11, 2016, 8:56 a.m.

^ I remember fighting forest fires in the states where they go waaaaay over the top with this shit.

The vast majority found it very uncomfortable. One guy I knew posited that this may be one reason that the US has proportionately more wild land firefighter fatalities - some folks believing the press.

Don't get me wrong, the folks that do it tend to be very good at it and it is not always comfortable and safe. But neither is night clerk and 7-11

It's a job, discretion the better part of valor etc.

tacticalretreat #runawaythatshitistoohot, #butthechicksdigit

May 11, 2016, 9:49 a.m.

Everywhere you can leave a comment on line people talk like assholes so why not nsmb where one gets more points for being an idiot than being any thing usefull?

Explains why boom is a constant dick in the gear threads.

Could some of the deaths be inmates?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 11, 2016, 10:11 a.m.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/g-elijah-dann/fort-mcmurray-fire_b_9890178.html

May 11, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

Go drive your tesla past some who cares and tell them all about how you're god's gift to self riotous assholes. No one here wants to here it.

It's pricks like you that give all of us other engineers a bad name.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You've definitely got that backwards…in every possible way. With this kind of track record, others may want to re-check your engineering work.

May 11, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/g-elijah-dann/fort-mcmurray-fire_b_9890178.html

"Talking science about how to prevent Zika Virus is insensitive to those suffering from Zika Virus. Now is not the time." is the Conservative's argument.

Now replace Zika Virus with:
Gun Violence
Global Warming
Cigarettes and Cancer
Paedophile Priests
Traffic Congestion
etc.

A pretty sad state of thought.

May 11, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

And Barriere.

And Louis Creek.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 11, 2016, 4:16 p.m.

BC and Alberta wildfire crews are supposed to be the toughest with the hardest physical tests, what they do in 14 min to qualfy the Ontario crews get 17 to complete, around smithers they like to hire the xc ski racers

the rap attack boys [HTML_REMOVED] girls I have met are [HTML_REMOVED] 170 lbs to fit in the heli and off the chart marathon runner fit

May 11, 2016, 8:23 p.m.

Scientists have been warning for decades that climate change is a threat to the
immense tracts of forest that ring the Northern Hemisphere, with rising
temperatures, drying trees and earlier melting of snow contributing to a
growing number of wildfires.

The near­ destruction of a Canadian city last week by a fire that sent
almost 90,000 people fleeing for their lives is grim proof that the threat to
these vast stands of spruce and other resinous trees, collectively known as the
boreal forest, is real. And scientists say a large­ scale loss of the forest could
have profound consequences for efforts to limit the damage from climate
change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/science/global-warming-cited-as-wildfires-increase-in-fragile-boreal-forest.html

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 12, 2016, 5:54 p.m.

What other angle is a reporter gona use?

Buddy probably had to look on the map to figure out where Canada is

May 12, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

And your point is?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 12, 2016, 8:30 p.m.

BC and Alberta wildfire crews are supposed to be the toughest with the hardest physical tests, what they do in 14 min to qualfy the Ontario crews get 17 to complete, around smithers they like to hire the xc ski racers

the rap attack boys [HTML_REMOVED] girls I have met are [HTML_REMOVED] 170 lbs to fit in the heli and off the chart marathon runner fit

Yeah.

But let's keep this in perspective. The Fort Mac fire that day when it blew up into a monster that left the wildfire crews behind. When it hit Fort mac there was 34 fire fighters on duty with 80 off duty. Fire fighters who mostly do their job in urban environments…house fires, car crashes.

I could not imagine what was going through those guys minds, the 34 on duty who would initially respond and the 80 off duty getting called in. As they saw this thing coming at their town. For their training and experience it would be beyond anything that they could imagine.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 14, 2016, 7:31 a.m.

Good lord. Yeah I get it … they worked hard, put their lives on the line and did a great job. Congratulations, guys.

But do we really need to gush all this fawning adoration like prepubescent girls at a Bieber concert? It's childish.

lol I'm with you. Don't get me wrong, good on the firefighters for doing a dangerous job..however the ministry firefighters get paid very well for doing the job they do and that's what they signed up for. The other 95% theyre not on a fire they get paid very well to do not-a-heck-of-a-lot including a paid hour each day for "personal wellness" (showering and hygiene), and paid time to buy lunch at save-on foods every day. Personally I know 2 people who quit working for the ministry because they found it to be boring between fires and both were totally tired of the "I'm a firefighting hero now praise me while I buy my lunch" attitude that was circulating on their crew.

All that to say, yeah I'm probably a dick. I appreciate the hard work that firefighters put in, it's tragic that the community of Fort Mac is going through this, just don't always agree with the "hero rah rah rah" stuff that I hear every time someone mentions firefighters.

The only firefighter I worked with over the years got all blubbery on his first day by 10am because we don't stop for 15 minute coffee breaks. Started telling us we shouldn't work because we were in direct contradiction of the safe work practices, told us he was going to report the boss blah blah blah then spent the next 6hrs sitting in the truck sulking by himself while everyone else went back to work. Never saw him again, but whenever I think of misty firefighters, that guy always comes to mind :lol:

May 14, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

What you're not taking into account.
Is the fact that so many firefighters end up with cancers of many different types ,emphysema and a host of other physical problems by the time they retire.
So many chemicals that they are supposed to wear during a house fire do all the plastics and silicon and electronics involved these days in cars and houses..
They may not work all that often but when they do its serious

May 14, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

Don't mix up the people who fight structure fires with the guys who fight forest fires

May 14, 2016, 10:31 p.m.

Don't mix up the people who fight structure fires with the guys who fight forest fires

Yep, quite the difference there. Tactics and overall responsibilities are very different