Anyone here from Fort Mac?

May 9, 2016, 5:05 p.m.

Yeah all that online WHMIS and H2S Alive training kept people safe. That's the stupidest thing I've read all week, and that's over and above JCL's original comment.

Meanwhile in 2003 was this massive power grid blackout. Urban centers some how did not implode. Those who react with common sense with minimal training and who did not die. Nor panic.

Of course there are always the fucktard ass clowns who will not handle it no matter what.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 9, 2016, 5:27 p.m.

-rachel-notley-admits-to-personally-starting-fort-mcmurray-wildfire

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

May 9, 2016, 8:30 p.m.

Looks like a tornado went through some of the sections of town that are burnt out.

Cleanup is going to be difficult; lots of contamination.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 9, 2016, 8:47 p.m.

Yeah all that online WHMIS and H2S Alive training kept people safe. That's the stupidest thing I've read all week, and that's over and above JCL's original comment.

You're missing the point. Let me use 2 of my last few times underground as an example. I've managed to catch two different crews during their fire drills lately. You've got ~75 people underground at ant time, and maybe 20 vehicles scatter through the mine. Everyone pitches in, picks up anyone they are near. Checks in to make sure no one is left behind. All this while you can't smell anything other than stench (the same compound that is used to put the roten egg smell in natural gas, only concentrated so that it can disperse into all areas of the mine without being so diluted that you might miss it) Easy to see how people who practice this sort of thing regularly would react that way outside of work.

With mine rescue, I've been under oxygen and gone into smoke filled courses to practice for situations where we have to go into the mine, mill, shop, etc when the smoke is so thick you can't see more than a few inches.

We train for the worst so that everyone gets to go home and see their families every night. We look out for each other.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 9, 2016, 8:57 p.m.

You're missing the point. Let me use 2 of my last few times underground as an example. I've managed to catch two different crews during their fire drills lately. You've got ~75 people underground at ant time, and maybe 20 vehicles scatter through the mine. Everyone pitches in, picks up anyone they are near. Checks in to make sure no one is left behind. All this while you can't smell anything other than stench (the same compound that is used to put the roten egg smell in natural gas, only concentrated so that it can disperse into all areas of the mine without being so diluted that you might miss it) Easy to see how people who practice this sort of thing regularly would react that way outside of work.

With mine rescue, I've been under oxygen and gone into smoke filled courses to practice for situations where we have to go into the mine, mill, shop, etc when the smoke is so thick you can't see more than a few inches.

We train for the worst so that everyone gets to go home and see their families every night. We look out for each other.

Mine folk take safety seriously. Even the MSDS filing.

The people working at the Tim Horton's or the Motel 8 (the community at large) probably benefited from a strong safety culture.

Now, back to observing the supreme asshole-ery of this thread.

NBR sucks.

May 10, 2016, 1:56 a.m.

as a berliner living in an altbau that surived ww2 i'm wondering, how many houses burned down due to the wooden light weight method of constructing that are common in canada?

May 10, 2016, 6:58 a.m.

as a berliner living in an altbau that surived ww2 i'm wondering, how many houses burned down due to the wooden light weight method of constructing that are common in canada?

There's no doubt that the wood construction burns significantly better than similar stone houses found in Europe. We have millions of acres of wood, it is the norm for all rural towns.

Check out this video - it's a saddening reality check of just what is in store for the families that may wish to return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOonSBiYx6k

May 10, 2016, 7:44 a.m.

The people working at the Tim Horton's or the Motel 8 (the community at large) probably benefited from a strong safety culture.

This could very well win the award for the hugest, stinkingest, pile of bull shit that I've seen all year!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 10, 2016, 7:46 a.m.

Well as long as you compare apples to oranges, it's easy to prove that black is louder than wet.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 10, 2016, 9:24 a.m.

There's no doubt that the wood construction burns significantly better than similar stone houses found in Europe. We have millions of acres of wood, it is the norm for all rural towns.

Check out this video - it's a saddening reality check of just what is in store for the families that may wish to return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOonSBiYx6k

Just devastating. Imagine evacuating a city the size of Kamloops, having most of it destroyed, and you have nothing to come back to.

We can all start taking shots at each others' political nonsense but in reality we're talking about a city being mostly wiped out.

May 10, 2016, 10:05 a.m.

Just devastating. Imagine evacuating a city the size of Kamloops, having most of it destroyed, and you have nothing to come back to.

We can all start taking shots at each others' political nonsense but in reality we're talking about a city being mostly wiped out.

Actually, 90% of the city was saved. Yes, 2400 dwellings were lost but over 25,000 were saved. Those brave firefighters are heroes in my eyes.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/scars-from-battle-to-save-fort-mcmurray-from-fire-revealed-as-first-media-allowed-into-city

May 10, 2016, 11:38 a.m.

Yeah I just learned that too.

May 10, 2016, 11:56 a.m.

This could very well win the award for the hugest, stinkingest, pile of bull shit that I've seen all year!

Oh? Wow, I've beat out some stiff competition. I hope you weren't thinking that I was endorsing WHMIS in this instance…

Anyhow, NBR still sucks.

As you were….

May 10, 2016, 12:46 p.m.

Actually, 90% of the city was saved. Yes, 2400 dwellings were lost but over 25,000 were saved. Those brave firefighters are heroes in my eyes.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/scars-from-battle-to-save-fort-mcmurray-from-fire-revealed-as-first-media-allowed-into-city

For sure. When everyone runs away from the flames, they run toward them. The vast majority of these firefighters were probably never tested in this way before, but time and time again firefighters step up when we need them most and risk their lives to save others. They are heroes 100%.

There is a reason women fucking love them (the male ones at least).

May 10, 2016, 12:54 p.m.

Oh? Wow, I've beat out some stiff competition. I hope you weren't thinking that I was endorsing WHMIS in this instance…

Anyhow, NBR still sucks.

As you were….

Do come back again, please. We may never reach our full potential of asshole-ery without your vast experience.