Anyone here from Fort Mac?

May 5, 2016, 9:25 a.m.

lol, no. Is Greenpeace your source for all this?

From what I've read if you take into account the transportation to market it's at least as bad as some African production (Nigeria).

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 5, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

Look I know a lot of sleds, quads, and guns have gone up in smoke but there's no need for insults.

And my friends house with their two little girls bedrooms.

Or the other ones expecting a baby in June. I'm compiling all my kids' outgrown baby items to help them get restarted.

By the way. None of these families are the caricature people like to use. One is a teacher. They don't have sleds, quads, guns. Just regular people.

May 5, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

Yes it's a real shame but as a Dad (and someone who actually gives a shit beyond thd Canadian boarder) myself I'm massively more concerned about climate change than I am emotional about the personal loss from fire.

Flip I would argue that this thread is exactly where my comments need to be. As difficult as it is for some to cope with… Post this somewhere else and the link won't be made and you just get the usual "I like warm weather" from morons.

It's like with 9/11. Anyone who mentioned US foreign policy after the attack was an unpatriotic traitor. Almost everyone jumped on the emotional response that we should bomb the bastards etc. 15 years on things are very different. Same thing with this. Even if all the tarsands being processed will only equal 0.5 degrees, it's all accumulative.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 5, 2016, 10:14 a.m.

I don't think anyone here is denying there is a link to global climate change and fires like this. I don't think that is the sole cause of this fire.

What people are fucking annoyed about is the arrogant, holier than thou attitude, openly finding joy or humour in this situation. The people that live in this town aren't fully responsible for the path humans have taken nor are the oil sands responsible for 100% of the global climate change we are experiencing.

Fuck it I don't know why I even care. I've gradually moved away from this board because of the shitty attitude of some of the people here.

I'm out.

May 5, 2016, 10:27 a.m.

Yep, enough.

See you in the summer Okakangan fire thread.

- Morgman

May 5, 2016, 11:05 a.m.

Anyone know if regular insurance policies cover wildfire?

May 5, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

Most do, so a lot of this damage will be covered. However, I'm not sure if Renters-insurance will take care of this…and many renters don't get insurance.

Most of the comments above that are trying to say that the oilsands are horrible are not fully informed. I'm not going to get into it in detail, however, wells-to-wheels comparison from oilsands and US Gulf Coast are 3-5% different in emissions…this is mainly due to transportation since our Canadian refineries are spread out evenly across the country.

And no, we aren't even close to Africa…where all the natural gas from the wells are burned since the infrastructure for Nat Gas doesn't exist.

May 5, 2016, 1:09 p.m.

Yes it's a real shame but as a Dad (and someone who actually gives a shit beyond thd Canadian boarder) myself I'm massively more concerned about climate change than I am emotional about the personal loss from fire.

Flip I would argue that this thread is exactly where my comments need to be. As difficult as it is for some to cope with… Post this somewhere else and the link won't be made and you just get the usual "I like warm weather" from morons.

It's like with 9/11. Anyone who mentioned US foreign policy after the attack was an unpatriotic traitor. Almost everyone jumped on the emotional response that we should bomb the bastards etc. 15 years on things are very different. Same thing with this. Even if all the tarsands being processed will only equal 0.5 degrees, it's all accumulative.

1 - you are sounding very self righteous in your posts and not providing commentary in the form of dialogue or ideas but rather doctrine (i.e you are right - everyone else is wrong).

2 - anyone living a comfortable, western life style is complicit in global warming. The oil sands are a symptom - not the disease. The disease is consumer driven capitalism and the sense of entitlement people have to new stuff - lots of stuff - and experiential living (ski hills, heli-skiing, kayaking etc). These things all generate waste and consumption that is unnessecary from the point of view of maintaining human life per Maslow's hierarcy of needs. (I am as guilty as anyone despite working hard to reduce my footprint…)

3 - what is happening in Ft Mac is a disaster and many well meaning, good natured, hard working people are suffering.

4 - I will posit the thought that many who are beating the drum to help those in Ft Mac were complicit in fighting any help being given to Syrian refugees - who have had it far worse for far longer than those in Ft Mac and who don't have a functioning nation state with insurance companies to return to. Maybe this situation will help open some people's eyes…we are all, after all, human.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

May 5, 2016, 1:35 p.m.

So we are all aware that beef production is actually the leading cause of global warming and not the residents of Fort Mac right?

May 5, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

3 - what is happening in Ft Mac is a disaster and many well meaning, good natured, hard working people are suffering.

This … the ones who will get kicked hardest in the teeth are people and families at the bottom of the pile. The Oil Barons will come out of this just fine.

May 5, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

Look all I'm saying is globally 2015 was the hottest year on record, March 2026 was the hottest month on record. April was the hottest ever in BC. It was 28 fucking degrees in Vancouver on Monday, May the 2nd.

The whole Okanagan, the Peace River etc is a tinderbox. Climate guys say Oregon is 5-10 years behind California drought wise.

Alberta oil is the dirtiest in the world and all I hear on the CBC is "we'll rebuild". How about fucking no! Enough. See the big picture for five seconds? It isn't about getting on a high horse, it's just time to wake the fuck up.

You do realize the fire didn't burn down the actual tar sands right? All this is going to do is curtail production for a short period of time, meanwhile working class families are losing everything.

The phrase "cut off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

May 5, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

So we are all aware that beef production is actually the leading cause of global warming and not the residents of Fort Mac right?

I stopped eating beef

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 5, 2016, 1:56 p.m.

According to the troll guess Huntsville Ontario should have shunned this single dad and his daughters. You know, because it serves him right that he lost everything.

Oh, wait not everyone is a Jack Ass.

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/6531040-family-who-lost-home-pets-to-fort-mcmurray-fire-coming-to-huntsville/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 5, 2016, 1:56 p.m.

May 5, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/