Anyone here from Fort Mac?

May 4, 2016, 6:08 a.m.

My sister, her husband, and 4 kids live in FortMac.
They got out to Bonnyville.

Guess it's now waiting to see how much of the town is burnt.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

May 4, 2016, 6:46 a.m.

Terrifying. The shots of the flames along the side of the HWY with heavy traffic are bloody scary.

I can see how people start panicking and driving like maniacs just to get away.

Unsettling.

May 4, 2016, 6:50 a.m.

Wildfires caused by record breaking, unseasonable warm temperatures that are directly linked to climate change and the burning of fossil fuels halt Canadian oil production.

Sweet irony.

:thumbsdown:

May 4, 2016, 6:54 a.m.

All of my friends have reported themselves safe, thankfully. The few reports coming out aren't looking good for the town.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2678962/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-super-8-hotel-goes-up-in-flames-during-live-report/

You can look for Facebook friends here, or report them safe:

https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/fortmcmurray-wildfire-may03-2016/?uid=527606466

May 4, 2016, 7:06 a.m.

thanks!

I heard thunder a few minutes ago. Could be really good or reallllly bad.

Dad said the highway is chaos. Vehicles driving everywhere, sides of road, ditches, passing everywhere. Guys driving in the ditch on quads with their gun racks loaded, just like an apocalypse.

Holy Mad Max.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 4, 2016, 7:48 a.m.

:thumbsdown:

Maybe a bit harsh but I wonder how many of the gun rack equipped quad bike riders fleeing the apocolypse will make the connection.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 4, 2016, 8:55 a.m.

For the LORD will execute judgment by fire And by His sword on all flesh, And those slain by the LORD will be many.

That's despicable. Why would you even post that?

QFP

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 4, 2016, 10:03 a.m.

Our son was born in Fort Mac, and we lived and worked there for 7 years. We have many close friends spread out all over the province now…many in the "at-risk zone".

We spent the night on Facebook trying to coordinate places to stay for folks that were en-route to Edmonton, or connecting random friends with eachother as they fled north to set up a tent in a field. It has been an emotional and terrifying 24 hours.

The oil-refineries and upgraders have reduced their production rates, and non-essential personnel have been sent away. Those essential folks are sleeping in their offices so that families can be given space in the work-camps. Fly-outs are being provided from the North Air-strip (controlled by Shell).

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1951[HTML_REMOVED]ea.campaign.id=50610[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=twitter[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=social[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=NO-DM

Consider donating, folks have lost everything, and it sounds like the Alberta government will be matching donations.

Please refrain from getting on your high-horse about how the oilsands are polluters…this is one of the pillars of the Canadian economy, and the energy is actually sourced and refined in a manner that abides by all regulations from the government. We are Canadians, and the entire country needs to set up and help our fellow countrymen/women.

Thanks,
Gord

May 4, 2016, 10:05 a.m.

^^^ Well said.

May 4, 2016, 10:48 a.m.

Well said, Gord. You have to learn to ignore some of the regulars here on NBR, they just can't help themselves from blaming 'others' and then they themselves lacking empathy to anyone that doesn't think exactly like they do; rather than help humanity they bleed it of all morality behind keyboards.

I just donated my $200, it's a small amount for such a large tragedy and I hope other fellow Canadians can find it within their means to show our neighbours that we will help when disaster strikes; rather than be hypocritical.

May 4, 2016, 11:12 a.m.

You have to learn to ignore some of the regulars here on NBR, they just can't help themselves from blaming 'others' and then they themselves lacking empathy to anyone that doesn't think exactly like they do

Pure irony …

BTW … these people need our help - give whatever you can to help.

May 4, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

Well said Gord and thanks. I've been trying to ignore those comments.

If one can't see the sadness of people walking around camp with their babies then you are heartless regardless of your political agenda.

I have lots of friends that don't know what the status is of their homes right now. Good people that don't fit the ludicrous caricature of what people think a Ft McMurray person is.

The sites are really stepping up here to help. Still waiting to see my fate but I'm expecting to be sent out of here soon.

May 4, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

Wildfires caused by record breaking, unseasonable warm temperatures that are directly linked to climate change and the burning of fossil fuels halt Canadian oil production.

Sweet irony.

would it be sweet irony if someone were to punch you in the nose for being so incredibly crass? i'm amazed at the tolerance being shown here in light of your comment. do you drive on a road, eat food grown on a farm or bought from a store? fuck sakes man.

May 4, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

Oh get over yourself and your bleeding heart BS. Nobody has even been injuried and it's not even an emergency.

I'm sorry my factually correct comments don't align with your emotional reaction to the fires.

Surely an intelligent response to this and the increasing fires and droughts is to ask why they're getting worse rather than the "we're all pulling for you Fort Mac" shit.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 4, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

QFP

Far be it from you to do such a thing, to put the righteous to death with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from you! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.