Anyone here from Fort Mac?

May 3, 2016, 6:34 p.m.

Hope you managed to get out okay. The carnage is just unreal to see and is humbling to know that Nature will often decide one's fate.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2677885/mayor-issues-warnings-as-fire-situation-in-fort-mcmurray-intensifies/

May 3, 2016, 8:05 p.m.

wow, I hadn't even heard. Scary.

May 3, 2016, 8:46 p.m.

ya, well sort of. It is insane.

I'm 85km north at a site, in a camp right now. My parents have a place in town. My mom left work early to get packed and get the cat before the evac. My dad headed home later. He dropped a friend off then was told to head back north as south was closed. So she went south of town to friends', my dad is actually on his way to my camp. Not many rooms here so I'll take the floor and he the bed.

It's sad, families are rolling into the camp with babies and kids. People walking around with their cats and dogs. I've got lots of friends in town that have set roots here and started families. Trying to keep tabs on all of them right now.

May 3, 2016, 8:49 p.m.

Video and pictures I'm being sent or seeing online are amazing. It is surreal as it has been blue skies for the most part where I am. At one point, looking south towards town it had a mushroom cloud aura in the sky -- truly bizarre.

Smoke it coming north now it seems, not super thick thankfully.

Word is many of the sites have evacuated non-essentials via site plane to make room for all the people from town. Haven't heard if the site I'm at is but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens on my project as it is new construction and the only people we have so far are management.

Suncor is actually really close to town and I've heard they've gotten rid of everyone, though they have to have some operators in place- their offices are nuclear bomb shelters though.

I'm packing my stuff in anticipation of being flown out on a moments notice.

May 3, 2016, 8:54 p.m.

Be safe, let's hope for some rain. I have a friend with Suncor as well, I think he said he was getting shipped to another camp further north.

Just read his Facebook - they were supposed to get evacuated to FT Hills, but apparently that is being evacuated by one report and they may be going to FT Maki. Any of this make sense to you? He says they have been sitting on a bus for an hour and have not moved.

May 3, 2016, 8:58 p.m.

thanks!

I heard thunder a few minutes ago. Could be really good or reallllly bad.

Dad said the highway is chaos. Vehicles driving everywhere, sides of road, ditches, passing everywhere. Guys driving in the ditch on quads with their gun racks loaded, just like an apocalypse.

May 3, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

Crazy.

May 3, 2016, 9:06 p.m.

For the LORD will execute judgment by fire And by His sword on all flesh, And those slain by the LORD will be many.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 3, 2016, 9:24 p.m.

Be safe, let's hope for some rain. I have a friend with Suncor as well, I think he said he was getting shipped to another camp further north.

Just read his Facebook - they were supposed to get evacuated to FT Hills, but apparently that is being evacuated by one report and they may be going to FT Maki. Any of this make sense to you? He says they have been sitting on a bus for an hour and have not moved.

Word from a buddy at Ft Hills is Suncors CMT flew out today, he was told to be ready to leave on a moments' notice. It's a full construciton site, nothing running so it's easy to leave. They were supposed to empty that camp for residents to have a place to stay. It is very far north of where the fires are.

Ft Mackay is the closest "town" I'm close to, again far north. A few camps out this way but the town isn't really big. I'm in a small camp (about 1000 man) and it's full, I ran into a couple that I know that lives in town and they are sharing a room with a twin bed.

May 3, 2016, 9:28 p.m.

We (Cold Lake) just sent a bunch of firefighters up there. Friend of mine's parents are up there as well and they were evacuated today. Might not be much left of town when this is over. 70,000 people evacuated.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 3, 2016, 9:31 p.m.

My brother sent this in from Barge Landing Lodge. I do believe they're on Evac alert as well, in order to make room for FMM residents. Devastating, and extremely scary how fast it developed to its current state.

May 3, 2016, 9:44 p.m.

We (Cold Lake) just sent a bunch of firefighters up there. Friend of mine's parents are up there as well and they were evacuated today. Might not be much left of town when this is over. 70,000 people evacuated.

I saw one of the site fire trucks leave at 5:30 for town. Kind of a blackout of info now as everyone is out of town and not tweeting/facebooking. Even the cell lines have been tough to get a connection in the area. Lots of texting and messaging going on right now.

May 3, 2016, 11:06 p.m.

Wildfires caused by record breaking, unseasonable warm temperatures that are directly linked to climate change and the burning of fossil fuels halt Canadian oil production.

Sweet irony.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 3, 2016, 11:16 p.m.

Wildfires caused by record breaking, unseasonable warm temperatures that are directly linked to climate change and the burning of fossil fuels halt Canadian oil production.

Sweet irony.

Let's leave the 'Sweet irony' comments and perhaps be a little more human at this point. People are losing everything; their homes, memories, pets and communities. There's nothing sweet about this

May 4, 2016, 5:01 a.m.

Sweet irony.

This is why I don't come to NBR anymore.