Anyone here from Fort Mac?

May 14, 2016, 10:35 p.m.

When people head away from danger, firefighters head towards it. Regardless of whatever pithy job someone may have held, respect should be given to those that fight for our everyday liberties, yet they are often shunned for shame.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2Ffull-comment%2Ftristin-hopper-hate-all-you-want-but-a-burning-fort-mcmurray-was-pretty-happy-it-had-a-bunch-of-oil-companies-next-door

May 14, 2016, 10:42 p.m.

Good lord. Yeah I get it … they worked hard, put their lives on the line and did a great job. Congratulations, guys.

But do we really need to gush all this fawning adoration like prepubescent girls at a Bieber concert? It's childish.

I don't think you do get it. Have you ever put your life on the line for a complete stranger? Ever been inside a burning building so hot everything is burning around you? Watched whole families wiped out because of one bad driving decision? Once you have, let me know your opinion of the job

May 14, 2016, 10:47 p.m.

I also like how these cityfolk dismiss the safety culture and training in resource towns like ft Mac.

Comparing the evac to backwaters like slave and barriers….lol

Earn a spot on a mine rescue or first responder team and see how serious these Hicks take disaster response.

You can't call 911….you are 911

Pastor of Muppets

May 14, 2016, 11:47 p.m.

Yep, quite the difference there. Tactics and overall responsibilities are very different

And sometimes their are unique situations where that goes all out the window. The situation demands that you exceed your job description. I mean you can argue about all the differences you want. But as we saw at Fort Mac the town's fire fighters had to be more than urban/structural fire fighters. They had to exceed their job description.

So while you all want to argue about this and that to prove who has the bigger keyboard. You know..prove who is more right because it is the internet and everyone else is wrong. No different that the jack ass trying to compensate for his small dick with a bigger truck.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 14, 2016, 11:49 p.m.

When people head away from danger, firefighters head towards it. Regardless of whatever pithy job someone may have held, respect should be given to those that fight for our everyday liberties, yet they are often shunned for shame.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2Ffull-comment%2Ftristin-hopper-hate-all-you-want-but-a-burning-fort-mcmurray-was-pretty-happy-it-had-a-bunch-of-oil-companies-next-door

Thanks for sharing that. Was wondering what they used for fire fighting equipment when the earlier article called them tank like vehicles.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 15, 2016, 5:34 p.m.

"Firefighters get paid very well for doing the job they do and that's what they signed up for. The other 95% theyre not on a fire they get paid very well to do not-a-heck-of-a-lot "

Around here the telkwa rangers slash trails when they are on down time

They cut run 9A at the Hankin Evelyn bc ski area, did a great job, they piled up some stems to build a nice jump half way down

City fire fighters, mine rescue, SAR any of those do rescue people , they will come and get ya but forest fire fighters should not be rescuing anybody and when it gets scary they pull back

May 15, 2016, 6:25 p.m.

curious what the down side is if the firefighters get some extra cred at times like these? why would this bother anyone if they did?

Hats off to these guys and if someone wants to post a cartoon in their FB feed about them so be it.

May 15, 2016, 7:12 p.m.

curious what the down side is if the firefighters get some extra cred at times like these? why would this bother anyone if they did?

Hats off to these guys and if someone wants to post a cartoon in their FB feed about them so be it.

Keyboard zeroes cant relate to the magnitude of the job,so their egos try to minimize it.

Pastor of Muppets

May 15, 2016, 9:23 p.m.

Keyboard zeroes cant relate to the magnitude of the job,so their egos try to minimize it.

Well said

May 16, 2016, 6:43 a.m.

second it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 16, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

I don't think you do get it. Have you ever put your life on the line for a complete stranger? Ever been inside a burning building so hot everything is burning around you? Watched whole families wiped out because of one bad driving decision? Once you have, let me know your opinion of the job

I get it perfectly well. What you, and others, don't seem to get is that there is a difference between respect and mindless, drooling admiration. One can be respectful without the latter.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 16, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

I get it perfectly well. What you, and others, don't seem to get is that there is a difference between respect and mindless, drooling admiration. One can be respectful without the latter.

Who's drooling? Just give the guys the respect they deserve

May 16, 2016, 12:20 p.m.

I also like how these cityfolk dismiss the safety culture and training in resource towns like ft Mac.

Earn a spot on a mine rescue or first responder team and see how serious these Hicks take disaster response.

I don't dismiss it, I just think you are too quick to assign it as the reason the town evacuated quickly without so much as an anecdote. Full disclosure, it could have hit some of us as oil worker arrogance that we have all experienced as well, so I will concede you that small point of my own personal bias.

Anyway, it may very well have played a role, but I think this being an affluent community with plenty of vehicles to load up and burn rubber probably played a larger role. You can take a stab at the backwaters, but in small towns like Barrier people often go there to hide and it is hard to get word out quickly regardless of how safety conscious they are. Fort Mac is actually pretty densely populated and that helps a lot for sounding the alarm.

I think we will probably know more in the near future as a lot of focus will be on evacuation for further planning because this fire shows that there will be times when that is all you can do and why this went so well is a good case study.

May 16, 2016, 3:17 p.m.

I don't think that people were 'dismissing safety culture', I think that people took exception to the tone of the 4Chan post that Farmer posted up.

Why not school us city folk though? Perhaps you could provide some specific examples of specific skills learned in Basic First Aid, WHMIS, TDG or H2S training and how they were employed during the evacuation by the average Fort Mac evacuee.

From an outside perspective it seemed as though once people were ordered to evacuate, they got in their cars/trucks and followed the directions of Emergency services (whose planning and execution of the evacuation I think deserve a lot more credit than Fort Mac's pervasive 'safety culture') along evac routes out of harms way.

But really, what do I know, I'm from an 'average left-wing liberal service-industry-dominated shithole' that is apparently 'literally incapable of taking care of itself in an emergency, without a dozen morons driving into lakes and drowning'.

May 17, 2016, 12:16 a.m.

I used to run into buildings (costco/safeway)where the consumers were streaming out empty handed unable to buy stuff after the server had kacked, armed with just a tool case, the corporation bleeding red ink at several hundred $ per minute

What an adrenaline rush!