Anyone else get a warning from Shaw/Warner?

April 8, 2014, 6:33 p.m.

Does the program Peerblock work to stop this?
http://www.peerblock.com/

www.gnarwhale.com

April 8, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

Does the program Peerblock work to stop this?
http://www.peerblock.com/

If you know all the IP addresses of companies that are doing the tracking, yes.

April 9, 2014, midnight

Using PeerBlock for about 8 years now, it updates the list of spies automatically. Or you can also find and download your own lists.

April 9, 2014, 2:25 a.m.

I've had 5 of these notices from Telus. Always movies that are released, as someone said, before DVD. Not to worried about it.

April 9, 2014, 7:14 a.m.

Using PeerBlock for about 8 years now, it updates the list of spies automatically. Or you can also find and download your own lists.

But who updates the list and how do they know they've covered everyone?

April 9, 2014, 9:25 a.m.

^ I don't know but it works, haven't seen one of those letters from Telus in 8 years.

April 9, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

I figure in China piracy is legal or some shit so I'll keep livin' it up without a care in the world.

I've already downloaded and stored terabytes in my years here, haven't heard a peep.

www.natooke.com

April 9, 2014, 10:45 a.m.

^ I don't know but it works, haven't seen one of those letters from Telus in 8 years.

It was more rhetorical. It's impossible to know, so if someone is really worried about it, a proper logless, IP sharing VPN service is the way to go.

April 9, 2014, 5:17 p.m.

I figure in China piracy is legal or some shit so I'll keep livin' it up without a care in the world.

I've already downloaded and stored terabytes in my years here, haven't heard a peep.

I'm surprised, China is usually a staunch defender of intellectual property rights. THIS IS SARCASM.

So much is available to stream, I just stick with that. Anchorman 2 was horrible!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 9, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

I'm surprised, China is usually a staunch defender of intellectual property rights. THIS IS SARCASM.

So much is available to stream, I just stick with that. Anchorman 2 was horrible!

yea honestly can't say of the movies I've downloaded the last few months that there has been anything that really was worth money, and definitely nothing I wish I had seen in theater.

Some of the premium TV shows on the other hand are another story.

Black Sails just finished it's first season and that wasn't half bad IMO.

April 10, 2014, 8:45 a.m.

Some of the premium TV shows on the other hand are another story.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I've ever heard anyone getting hassled about downloaded TV shows. Maybe someone can correct me on this one. I suspect that companies care less about TV shows because they a)cost less to produce and cost nothing to distribute, b)have a much longer lifespan, continuing to generate income for years or even decades after being released, c)aspire to be long-lived franchises by generating "buzz" and all exposure tends to be good exposure.

April 10, 2014, 4:15 p.m.

Peerblock works to a degree, but VPN is the way to go to be absolutely sure.

I have used Privateinternetaccess for 16 months, without one hitch.

Servers all over the world, no problems accessing USA or UK content.

Speeds for US servers are within 75-80% of what I get without the VPN

It's $39/year.

Allows three devices simultaneously, desktop, laptop and tablet/android.

Improves surfing security at public wifi locals.

They have no problem with torrents.

They are based in the US, which is usually a bad thing, but the US does not require providers to log traffic and PIA say it does not keep logs of traffic. So even if instructed by court to hand over information there is nothing to provide.

Consistently good reviews.

No; I don't work for them.

OP, do not worry about the letter. If Shaw follow up (unlikely), say that you have no idea what these 'torrands' are and you'll go ask your teenage kids, brother-in-law, all your friends and the next door neighbour what the hell they are doing?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

April 11, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I've ever heard anyone getting hassled about downloaded TV shows. Maybe someone can correct me on this one. I suspect that companies care less about TV shows because they a)cost less to produce and cost nothing to distribute, b)have a much longer lifespan, continuing to generate income for years or even decades after being released, c)aspire to be long-lived franchises by generating "buzz" and all exposure tends to be good exposure.

They don't 'care' about TV shows because whether a show is profitable to it's creators or not isn't determined by how many individuals pay to watch it / buy dvds, it's determined by advertising sales figures and corporate product placement deals, the later of the two is effective whether the person is watching the show on live TV or whether they're watching a downloaded copy at home. Them lashing out at people downloading the shows would only reduce the number of people that the product placements were reaching.

For instance, Hyundai was giving the Walking Dead huge coin and actually expanded their deal with AMC because the Walking Dead had huge numbers in the 18-49 year old demographic. Hyundai knows that if the Walking Dead is hitting huge in this demo on cable, that there is also a MASSIVE following in that same demographic that DL's the show. Going after downloaders would likely reduce their overall demo numbers and tank the deal with Hyundai as they simply wouldn't be reaching as many people…..

April 11, 2014, 11:20 a.m.

XBMC, 1Channel, Icefilms

So will this allow me to stream hi-def movies with lossless 5.1 audio codecs - uncompressed?

Answer doesn't matter actually. Even if the server can send it, any viewer that doesn't have fiber to home can't receive data at the rate needed for this.

Hence, torrent for that kind of content.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 11, 2014, 12:02 p.m.

Even if the server can send it, any viewer that doesn't have fiber to home can't receive data at the rate needed for this.

Telus is actively working on this, my parents now have fiber to their house, was installed a couple of weeks ago. Some areas of North Delta do too, but not my street yet.