Anyone built a hackintosh?

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

looking for some help in possbily turning my machine into a hackintosh.
does anyone know of websites to help. yes i'm aware of that thing called google, but i just wanted to hear a few first hand experiences.

i've got a OS X 10.6.3 SNOW LEOPARD disk and a OS X LION usb key.

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:43 a.m.

Let me know how it goes. I was considering it, but ultimately just threw down for a new MBP. I'll maybe do a hackintosh desktop sometime if I need more serious power.

ps. from everything I understand, building a hackintosh is pretty hardware specific; not sure how much luck you'll have turning just any old machine into one.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:49 a.m.

looking for some help in possbily turning my machine into a hackintosh.
does anyone know of websites to help. yes i'm aware of that thing called google, but i just wanted to hear a few first hand experiences.

i've got a OS X 10.6.3 SNOW LEOPARD disk and a OS X LION usb key.

I just finished building one last week and still working through a few minor (I hope) issues. Can be very frustrating but the components are better than what you can get in a Mac Pro and way cheaper.

Best thing to do is follow a build that someone else did and then copy it exactly. Not all hardware is compatible so it can be a very long and frustrating process if you try to customize on your own. You likely won't be able to do it on your existing machine unless you happen to be lucky enough to have compatible components.

I followed the build here (the Hack Pro): http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/

http://www.tonymacx86.com/ has all the software you need to run and install Snow Leopard (haven't tries Lion yet) plus tons of information and a great forum to ask questions.

You'll need a lot of patience. I had to reinstall the OS five times before I got it right. Might end up having to reinstall once more to take care of an issue.

Aug. 28, 2011, 4:03 p.m.

I just finished building one last week and still working through a few minor (I hope) issues. Can be very frustrating but the components are better than what you can get in a Mac Pro and way cheaper.

Best thing to do is follow a build that someone else did and then copy it exactly. Not all hardware is compatible so it can be a very long and frustrating process if you try to customize on your own. You likely won't be able to do it on your existing machine unless you happen to be lucky enough to have compatible components.

I followed the build here (the Hack Pro): http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/

http://www.tonymacx86.com/ has all the software you need to run and install Snow Leopard (haven't tries Lion yet) plus tons of information and a great forum to ask questions.

You'll need a lot of patience. I had to reinstall the OS five times before I got it right. Might end up having to reinstall once more to take care of an issue.

Very true it takes a good dose of patience, If you plan ahead it makes it much easier. i7 gigabit and ATI seems to be the best match. But you can make most stuff work. You'll need iboot Chimera and multibeast.

Post here or at tonymacx for help. good luck. Hackintosh's are awesome.

Aug. 28, 2011, 4:29 p.m.

I followed the tonymacx86 guide and didn't really run into any problems. Still can't get my onboard audio working but not too much of a problem as I use an external usb audio interface..

As for OSX, well it's alright but I only ever use it when I have to (ie when I want to use Final Cut or Logic). Much prefer Windows 7 to be honest. I installed it to see whether I'd want to spend the money on an iMac and I'm pretty sure I don't :)

Aug. 29, 2011, 2:48 a.m.

Run Mac OSX in a VM on your Windows box.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 29, 2011, 3:22 a.m.

there are some prepackaged snow leopard vmware images you can get from the usual places, they'll run inside vmware workstation on windows or linux.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Aug. 29, 2011, 4 a.m.

Runs decently fast on an a new processor. I haven't found additions for the VM; they usually speed I/O up a lot.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells