Any wwkayakers here?

Whitewater Anyone?

Present
66.7%
Past
33.3%
Total votes: 6
March 22, 2016, 8:38 a.m.

Just curious any other past/present paddlers on here?

March 22, 2016, 9:01 a.m.

Past, not present. Still have my boat [HTML_REMOVED] gear, but they'll date me pretty good - Wavesport Stubby and Forplay. Very rarely paddle, but the Stubby is still pretty fun for the odd trip down the Cap when it's pumping.

Mostly gave up boating when the kids came along. Found other sports were easier to do with kids (climbing, dirtbiking) and just never really got back into it. Still look down at every creek and river I drive across trying to decide if it looks like a good run though - that habit never goes away.

March 22, 2016, 9:11 a.m.

Past, not present. Still have my boat [HTML_REMOVED] gear, but they'll date me pretty good - Wavesport Stubby and Forplay. Very rarely paddle, but the Stubby is still pretty fun for the odd trip down the Cap when it's pumping.

Mostly gave up boating when the kids came along. Found other sports were easier to do with kids (climbing, dirtbiking) and just never really got back into it. Still look down at every creek and river I drive across trying to decide if it looks like a good run though - that habit never goes away.

I always loved the stubby, a fun little boat. My boats are even older, 1992 Enigma plastic squirt boat, riot hammer, prijon machine.

Same thing for me , kids , no time and lost a few friends to paddling which made it hard to go on.

I still love my squirt boat just spent a week in tofino surfing it. LOL had to buy a new drytop to do it as my old ones seals disintegrated…

Ive been a paddler since i was a kid , now ride the shore and am getting close ish to 50 wtf happened..

March 22, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

WW is what brought me to BC from the UK 11 years ago. Like you guys I kept my last boat (Dagger Nomad) with plans to get back in it one day… it's been gathering dust for a few years now. Biking, skiing and running seem to have taken over, but who knows what the future holds.

Just dug through some old photos and found the last decent thing I paddled was the Gordon in 2005. 11 years.

IMGP1484 by Andrew, on Flickr

March 22, 2016, 9:40 a.m.

I was talking to an old friend don at sea to sky kayak school, said ww kayaking scene has really slowed down after kiteboarding got big. Im sure drought we had last summer did not help.
My fav river was wenatchee , warm water, waves, waves, waves.
I live beside the Lynn creek always hard to to look at it without imagine paddling on it..
So many memories.

March 22, 2016, 10:10 a.m.

This thread made me smile!

Gordon was one of my favs - which section is that? Upper, Middle, Lower? I loved Bugaboo falls entrance to the lower although the lower itself wasn't as good as the other sections.

The machine? Really? Someone stole that boat of mine saddly. Only ever met one other who had that same boat - everyone was into the X and XXX boats. Never had a squirt boat but always wanted to try one.

I rarely paddle but miss it at times. So many beautiful rivers out there. However that's true about mountains and I have yet to ski all of the mountains but working on it. Not enough time to do everything.

The Lynn is my backyard too - I listen to it roar every night (although much quieter in the summer). Was my fav local paddle.

March 22, 2016, 10:34 a.m.

Gordon was one of my favs - which section is that? Upper, Middle, Lower? I loved Bugaboo falls entrance to the lower although the lower itself wasn't as good as the other sections.

The machine? Really? Someone stole that boat of mine saddly. Only ever met one other who had that same boat - everyone was into the X and XXX boats. Never had a squirt boat but always wanted to try one.

I rarely paddle but miss it at times. So many beautiful rivers out there. However that's true about mountains and I have yet to ski all of the mountains but working on it. Not enough time to do everything.

The Lynn is my backyard too - I listen to it roar every night (although much quieter in the summer). Was my fav local paddle.

Hey if your interested my machine is for sale:)
Jeez we must all live close to each other.

March 22, 2016, 10:50 a.m.

That might be a picture of the Cowichan… things are a bit muddled back that far. I forget which section of the Gordon that time, but I do remember about eight of us in an old Volvo getting there. This might have been on the Gordon:

IMGP1637 by Andrew, on Flickr

These days I live in the Okanagan - I should really find out what there is to paddle around here that's not totally flat. I did SUP down part of the Shuswap last summer…

March 22, 2016, 11:16 a.m.

That's the middle section of the Gordon for sure!

Too bad the few people who had cameras were all shooting film back then rather than digital!

Shuswap - my 2nd river I paddled (after the mamquam) - also the place I ended up giving AR to a 19 year old who drowned (yes he drowned - he never was revived despite my and another's efforts). Too bad this foreshadowed my years of paddling.

Bugaboo falls pic attached

March 22, 2016, 11:19 a.m.

Hey if your interested my machine is for sale:)
Jeez we must all live close to each other.

No I'm good - have a Jackson Fun, not so sporty but dam comfy which is what I wanted when I thought I'd get back into paddling again - tired of jamming myself into boats that made my legs go numb.

Where else would paddlers live but close to rivers they love? :)

March 22, 2016, 12:44 p.m.

Bugaboo falls pic attached

I paddled with a Scandinavian guy from UVIC who hit those falls in a C1-converted creek boat once… I was in awe. Good times!

March 22, 2016, 1:10 p.m.

No I'm good - have a Jackson Fun, not so sporty but dam comfy which is what I wanted when I thought I'd get back into paddling again - tired of jamming myself into boats that made my legs go numb.

Where else would paddlers live but close to rivers they love? :)

Sent u PM

March 22, 2016, 10:39 p.m.

Past. Used to run a Dagger Redline. My high points were making it through the Tamihi Rapids without swimming and running the Cap once in full on flood condition, which, in retrospect, probably wasn't the smartest choice I ever made.

Climbing and skiing mostly took precedence over paddling, but almost dislocating my shoulder, and never fully trusting it on rolls after that, was the major reason I got out of it.

However, I just spent three days in Tofino, and was wishing I still had a boat to surf with, and wondering how long it would take to pick it up again.

March 23, 2016, 1:07 p.m.

For you guys who want to paddle, but not to the level of WW, take a look at surfskis. Super fun when it's windy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTo1R5tM48s

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

March 23, 2016, 3:03 p.m.

Moved to the shore 15 years ago to be closer to the rivers. Pretty much gave up mountain biking to paddle ww. Things have gone full circle now, and I spend most of my free time on my bike. Still get out boating once a month or so, but not like back in the day where I would paddle a couple times per week. I still live close to the Lynn, one of my favorite runs.