Any window renovator/installer here?

Sept. 1, 2018, 11:21 p.m.

We are getting new windows installed in a few days in our 25 year old 3 level townhouse. The trim was delivered ahead of time so we could paint it first, but the trim they delivered is an inch thicker and an inch wider that what we have now.

Because we live in a townhouse with Strata by-laws the look of the trim has to match what was there before. I spoke with the installer and he told me that the new trim will sit against the plywood wall, not on top of the siding like the current trim. No other unit in our complex with the original or new windows looks to be this way, not even another unit that used this same company.

So is this a legit explanation? To make the finished product look the same as what exists now they would have to cut down the siding around all the windows so the new trim sits beside it instead of on top of it. Then they would have to rip all the new boards down to the correct width. All the trim we just painted will have an exposed edge (no paint or primer). I'll have to hire a painter to go fix that. Why would they not order the correct width in the first place?

Thanks

Last edited by: coolatt on Sept. 2, 2018, 7:09 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 1, 2018, 11:48 p.m.

Typically the outside has to match what it originally looked like.  Depends on whether your strata has for its bylaws.

Why are you changing the windows?  If they failed, the strata should be responsible for the repair.  If not, it's usually not allowed to change without strata permission as the windows are part of the building envelope.

Sept. 2, 2018, 8:11 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Typically the outside has to match what it originally looked like.  Depends on whether your strata has for its bylaws.

Why are you changing the windows?  If they failed, the strata should be responsible for the repair.  If not, it's usually not allowed to change without strata permission as the windows are part of the building envelope.

Yup, switch has it right. Windows are a strata responsibility and they should be taking care of everything - materials and installation - you should only have to watch. The only thing I can think of here is the window company is trying to pass off work they're responsible for in order to cut costs and make a few more dollars. 

Until you check with your strata I would hold off on changing or installing anything, especially not cutting down the siding to get the new window casing to fit.

Sept. 2, 2018, 1:03 p.m.

Our strata does not cover windows.

What I'm asking about is the installation procedure, is that a common route to take when replacing a window. From what I can tell, if they are going the route I described. it's more labour intensive than just slapping on some new trim and may also be more waterproof as it can be sealed better.

Sept. 2, 2018, 1:24 p.m.

when I asked at the local distributor about new windows the salesperson said he would need to look at the house to see how the old windows are mounted  which is   especially important in my case cuz i have aluminum siding so i would need windows that plug right in to the old opening without modding the siding  but what I got from that conversation is that there is more than one style of window mounting ?

did you try googling it ?

Sept. 2, 2018, 4:44 p.m.

Posted by: coolatt

What I'm asking about is the installation procedure, is that a common route to take when replacing a window. From what I can tell, if they are going the route I described. it's more labour intensive than just slapping on some new trim and may also be more waterproof as it can be sealed better.

The installation methods depends on the type of old window vs the new as well as the type of siding. There's a specific way to install windows per the building code that is aimed at keeping water from getting past the window and inside the wall. The size of the window casing/trim is about aesthetics as well as keeping water from getting between the siding and the sheathing (plywood). The siding should run underneath the window casing as it helps to keep water out. If the siding just butts up against the window casing then it relies on caulking to keep water from getting behind the siding which is more susceptible to leaking over time if the caulking is not maintained. The way the window flashing is done is also important for keeping water out.

Have you talked to your strata about the window installation? How concerned are they about the look of the finished product. If they want it to look the same then the suggested method by your installer won't match up. It also may not provide as good a barrier to water penetration as the casing sitting on top of the siding. Are they charging you hourly or did they give you a fixed price for the job?

As an aside it seems weird that your strata doesn't cover windows, as switch said the building envelope is typically the responsibility of the strata as it falls under limited common property. I would double check your strata bylaws just to be sure that owners are responsible for windows. The standard bylaws as set out by the province of BC state that the strata is responsible for the windows, so your strata bylaws should specifically state that the owners are responsible.

Sept. 2, 2018, 7:52 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

The installation methods depends on the type of old window vs the new as well as the type of siding. There's a specific way to install windows per the building code that is aimed at keeping water from getting past the window and inside the wall. The size of the window casing/trim is about aesthetics as well as keeping water from getting between the siding and the sheathing (plywood). The siding should run underneath the window casing as it helps to keep water out. If the siding just butts up against the window casing then it relies on caulking to keep water from getting behind the siding which is more susceptible to leaking over time if the caulking is not maintained. The way the window flashing is done is also important for keeping water out.

Have you talked to your strata about the window installation? How concerned are they about the look of the finished product. If they want it to look the same then the suggested method by your installer won't match up. It also may not provide as good a barrier to water penetration as the casing sitting on top of the siding. Are they charging you hourly or did they give you a fixed price for the job?

As an aside it seems weird that your strata doesn't cover windows, as switch said the building envelope is typically the responsibility of the strata as it falls under limited common property. I would double check your strata bylaws just to be sure that owners are responsible for windows. The standard bylaws as set out by the province of BC state that the strata is responsible for the windows, so your strata bylaws should specifically state that the owners are responsible.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind when I talk to to the window company again. This has come up because the finished product ( mainly the style of window with mutton bars) must look the same as the existing window but the trim style will also be an issue.

Just to be clear again. Our Strata is not responsible for replacing windows. An owner can replace windows at their expense and must meet the strata by-law requirements. I don't know about other strata's but that's how ours is.

Sept. 2, 2018, 10:10 p.m.

Mark is the expert, and what he said makes sense.  Good information to know.

Sept. 3, 2018, 1:04 a.m.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind when I talk to to the window company again. This has come up because the finished product ( mainly the style of window with mutton bars) must look the same as the existing window but the trim style will also be an issue.

Just to be clear again. Our Strata is not responsible for replacing windows. An owner can replace windows at their expense and must meet the strata by-law requirements. I don't know about other strata's but that's how ours is.

Yeah, as you said earlier, the company you hired has done windows in the complex before so then they know that the finished product has to look like the existing finish. Ideally, it's their responsibility to make sure the work is completed satisfactorily which means having the trim sit on top of the siding. However, It all comes down to the style of the old window frame vs the new window frame as to how the install gets done.

And I don't mean to nag about the strata thing, it's just unusual to have the home owner responsible for anything exterior to the home. I just want to make sure you're not getting screwed over by a strata trying to save money and escape their responsibilities.