Any Project Management Professionals (PMP)

Aug. 6, 2013, 4:10 p.m.

on the board? I am considering applying for this, 10+ years of construction project management and member of Chartered Institute of Building in the UK (limited presence in BC) do you think it is worth it?

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Aug. 6, 2013, 7:46 p.m.

I think it depends on what kind of projects you are managing. My company is encouraging me to obtain my PMP designation, but i am kind of on the fence. I think it is great if you manage large scale projects involving several disciplines. I tend to manage several small projects at the same time so am not sure it would be worth it for me.

Aug. 6, 2013, 9:31 p.m.

Not sure what industry you are in but I'm seeing it pop up more on job postings in the oil and gas sector. Lately I've been contemplating doing a pmp program myself then writing the pmp exams.

Aug. 6, 2013, 9:52 p.m.

Remember, once you have it, you have to shell out time and/or money for PDU's to keep it active.

Aug. 6, 2013, 10:31 p.m.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 7, 2013, 6:48 a.m.

I think its just a cash grab personally. From my experience dealing with PMPs they just know how to use a scheduling software and know the time value of money.

Aug. 7, 2013, 8:55 a.m.

Kramer, the white Huggy Bear.

Aug. 7, 2013, 8:57 a.m.

I think its just a cash grab personally. From my experience dealing with PMPs they just know how to use a scheduling software and know the time value of money.

woohoo! I've got one out of two. I'm a scheduler up in the oil sands. We've got few coordinators going through the the MMP (maintenance management program) currently. Not sure what route I want to take yet for myself.

Aug. 7, 2013, 1:27 p.m.

PMPin' aint easy.

Aug. 9, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

Depends entirely on the "project".

Project management in a construction field is vastly different than say project management of an advertising campaign.

I find the designation PMP super useless as the process is set up as if all project management in all fields is the same.
The individual in my office who has his PMP is no better a project manager than previously and likely even less effective as he now has stars in his eyes because of his new wall plaque.

Aug. 9, 2013, 1:47 p.m.

I find the designation PMP super useless as the process is set up as if all project management in all fields is the same.
The individual in my office who has his PMP is no better a project manager than previously and likely even less effective as he now has stars in his eyes because of his new wall plaque.

That about sums it up, I am going to stick with doing what I've always done for the time being

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Aug. 9, 2013, 1:51 p.m.

Won't make you a better or worse PM (except for "stars-in-the-eyes" guy), but will increase your future employability.

Aug. 9, 2013, 1:52 p.m.

In construction I would pursue a gold seal certification.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Aug. 13, 2013, 10:35 a.m.

Won't make you a better or worse PM (except for "stars-in-the-eyes" guy), but will increase your future employability.

You could say this about most post-bachelors degrees, diplomas and qualifications.

I've thought very hard about getting my PMP, but even the documentation portion of the application seems pretty onerous. How many hours do you need to document? A few thousand? How many projects is that? 100?

Hey…Mr. Oil Sands planner…help me get a high paying oil sands job! Mechanical Engineer with 12 years experience in project management.