Any gearheads on here know anything about carb's (dirtbike).

May 28, 2007, 9:16 p.m.

1991 Honda XR80, thing's been sitting for more than a few year's and I'me gonna sell it, guy came over tonight to look at it.

Anyhoo everytime you kick it over it the cylinder fill's with gas.

Main Jet's messed up? Or could this be as simple as the throttle cable's f-ed, the slide is stuck open because of the screwed throttle cable, could this be the problem?

Any other ideas?

Thank you in advance.

WTB-3000psi, 80cuft Scuba Tank. Preferably with at least 2 years left remaining till next Hydro Test.

May 28, 2007, 9:19 p.m.

Needle and seat could be sticking. best bet is to take it off and clean her out (if you know anything about carbs). Just count the turns on your jets

May 28, 2007, 9:30 p.m.

Yes the slide being stuck open will definetly flood the motor, make sure the slide returns freely without sticking. Go over everything simple you think could be wrong.

To clean the carb, crack er in half and go nuts with some carb cleaner, and take some compressed air to clean the jets. Just be careful not to bump the float. Oh and drain the gas outta the carb before you open it up of course.

If you need more help you'd have more luck at www.thumpertalk.com

May 28, 2007, 9:42 p.m.

Thank's again guy's.

Yeah I took the carb apart and cleaned it already, checked the float, worked. Got the jet and the air screw set properly, kick the thing over she flood's up. Just wondering if there could be anything else that may be wrong with it…there's really not much to a small carb.

WTB-3000psi, 80cuft Scuba Tank. Preferably with at least 2 years left remaining till next Hydro Test.

May 29, 2007, 12:03 a.m.

float needle might be worn out.

May 29, 2007, 12:34 a.m.

float needle might be worn out.

Sounds like a float issue to me too.

You avatar is creepy.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 29, 2007, 1:34 a.m.

the slide sticking has nothing to do with the motor flooding that is from your needle and seat. its the little needle, very short, that is attached to the float.

while the carb is off move the float while its still attached to the needle and seat and blow through your fuel inlet line you should not be able to blow through when the float goes up. this is when the carb is right side up. if you can blow through all the time replace the n/s. usually if it has been sitting for a long time just clean it really well and it should start to work.

also check that the float is moving freely.