Any architecture students ?

Feb. 27, 2007, 7:16 p.m.

also keep in mind alot of people dont know what they want to study, and it takes them a little longer in school. after the fact, if yo spend 5 years doing undergrad its all worth it, to have a degree representation of somthing your genuinly interested in, im on the 5 year plan, it took me a while to find out what i wanted to study, but in the end its so worth it to study somthing you dind stimulating. IMO some people are too rushed about getting into the "real world" i mean, im on the 5 year plan, but ill only be 22 when i graduate, which is still so very young.

Feb. 28, 2007, 11:31 a.m.

I'm currently finishing up the 2year ABET (Architectural Building Engineering Technology) Program at BCIT. It's a good way to get into the field, without being a registered architect, to see if you will enjoy it. It's really intensive (8courses per semester for a grand total of 140 credits) but well worth it.

also keep in mind alot of people dont know what they want to study, and it takes them a little longer in school. after the fact, if yo spend 5 years doing undergrad its all worth it, to have a degree representation of somthing your genuinly interested in, im on the 5 year plan, it took me a while to find out what i wanted to study, but in the end its so worth it to study somthing you dind stimulating. IMO some people are too rushed about getting into the "real world" i mean, im on the 5 year plan, but ill only be 22 when i graduate, which is still so very young.

I fully agree, but spending thousands of dollars tuition each year at university 'not knowing what to study' seems like a waste of money to me.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Feb. 28, 2007, 1:26 p.m.

I'm currently finishing up the 2year ABET (Architectural Building Engineering Technology) Program at BCIT. It's a good way to get into the field, without being a registered architect, to see if you will enjoy it. It's really intensive (8courses per semester for a grand total of 140 credits) but well worth it.

Been there done that. Finished the Arch Sc. Degree Program and am now moving on to a Master's.

If you know you want to be an architect for sure don't go to BCIT.
Get a business degree of some sort or something like art history, personally i'd avoid engineering. at the same time become an artist(emily carr is helpful if you need it) and find a job working with an architect. get a kick ass portfolio together and you'll get into a Master's program with no problems. the business degree will allow you to make money if you ever hope to have your own firm. the business side of things is where most architects f'up. bcit is a kick in the balls and unless you're dedicated you'll burn out. only two others in my graduating class have decided to go on to do a masters. the others just don't want to go to school anymore. they're done.

Feb. 28, 2007, 4:34 p.m.

Been there done that. Finished the Arch Sc. Degree Program and am now moving on to a Master's.

bcit is a kick in the balls and unless you're dedicated you'll burn out. only two others in my graduating class have decided to go on to do a masters. the others just don't want to go to school anymore. they're done.

Guess I'm just dedicated, oh well.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Feb. 28, 2007, 6:33 p.m.

I fully agree, but spending thousands of dollars tuition each year at university 'not knowing what to study' seems like a waste of money to me.

totally agree. my dad was one of the best architects in north america, and he has a degree but has never been registered.

my brother is also well known and recognized for designing some of the most beautiful homes in vancouver, and has no degree. if you like pretty architecture look here…
www.jamesschouw.com

both just have a registered architect to sign off on drawings.

i'm not trying to discourage getting an education, but it's not always necessary to be either creative or successful.

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!

Feb. 28, 2007, 6:52 p.m.

Undergrad Bachelor of Architecture degrees are obtainable from the U of Manitoba, Dalhousie and Carleton. There might be more, but those are the most notable. Many architects head out into the workforce without receiving their Masters and thrive on their own or in firms of all shapes and sizes.

word. my cousin took her boa courses and recived her degree at u of m, shes doing something down in colorado right now with regards to it. meh, took her 4 years i belive but shes a try hard so yeah. if i feel motivated enough next time i talk to her i'll ask about the particulars of the course and such about taking it at u of m.

Take your shirt off.

Feb. 28, 2007, 9:22 p.m.

Hey Rossputin, are you looking for a job?

I graduated in 1989 with a degree in Architectural Science from Ryerson in Toronto. (They are about to offer a Masters degree in Architecture). I moved to Victoria about 5 years ago and now manage the Victoria branch of an engineering firm that specializes in Building Science. We fix leaky condos and make sure that it doesn't happen again on new ones. No offense to architects, but sometimes it seems that they can paint a pretty picture but can't build it so it doesn't leak!

I find technologist grads are better than engineering grads as they gain more practical knowledge in school.

We have offices in Victoria, Vancouver and Nanaimo and are just smokin busy these days.

March 22, 2007, 3:10 p.m.

Hey Rossputin, are you looking for a job?

I graduated in 1989 with a degree in Architectural Science from Ryerson in Toronto. (They are about to offer a Masters degree in Architecture). I moved to Victoria about 5 years ago and now manage the Victoria branch of an engineering firm that specializes in Building Science. We fix leaky condos and make sure that it doesn't happen again on new ones. No offense to architects, but sometimes it seems that they can paint a pretty picture but can't build it so it doesn't leak!

I find technologist grads are better than engineering grads as they gain more practical knowledge in school.

We have offices in Victoria, Vancouver and Nanaimo and are just smokin busy these days.

Hey just PM'd you!

Cheers!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

March 22, 2007, 6:22 p.m.

I'll ask my good friend Art Vandelay.

I thought he was an importer/exporter… or did he quit the exporting to focus on the importing?

vimeo
Flickr

March 22, 2007, 6:35 p.m.

totally agree. my dad was one of the best architects in north america

who be he?

i was an architecture fanatic for a time. did an achitecturally oriented ba that is somewhat useless on its own, then became dissuaded with the career path when i realized the stuff i was passionate about had limited marketability (i was into somewhat cerebral work; loved the deconstructivists - eisenman, hadid, co-op himmelblau, libeskind, gehry, etc), and the required schooling to payscale ratio was pretty damn low. unfortunately, brilliance does not equate to financial success in this business (ie, ericson bankrupting himself).

my wife did the b.arch undergrad @ u of manitoba. seems like a decent program; a good way to expedite the process - she was working in firms right out of school.

March 22, 2007, 6:52 p.m.

freakonaleash: planning class? are u in grade ten by anychance?

anus

March 22, 2007, 7:05 p.m.

who be he?

i was an architecture fanatic for a time. did an achitecturally oriented ba that is somewhat useless on its own, then became dissuaded with the career path when i realized the stuff i was passionate about had limited marketability (i was into somewhat cerebral work; loved the deconstructivists - eisenman, hadid, co-op himmelblau, libeskind, gehry, etc), and the required schooling to payscale ratio was pretty damn low. unfortunately, brilliance does not equate to financial success in this business (ie, ericson bankrupting himself).

Erikson bankrupted himself… if he detailed his work correctly the manifestation of his ideas would have turned out better.

Hadid is brillant!

Gehry is an iconic architect… so is Libeskind.

www.steedcycles.com