anti-olympic thugs.

May 23, 2007, 7:48 a.m.

I'm pulling it off in 2007.

I've been pulling out since 1995

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

May 23, 2007, 9:27 a.m.

yeah, remeber the APC is the Anti Poverty Coalition. what causes poverty? The Olympics of course!

They used the slogan "homes not games". I like that slogan but the games are here and they need to return their attention to poverty. They have become sidetracked and have become the anti olympic coalition.

The games did not cause poverty.

They need to ask themselves: Are our actions helping to end poverty?

answer: No.

May 23, 2007, 10:11 a.m.

I strongly disagree with the methods these people are resorting to to get their point across but I can understand their frustration.

The economy is doing well, the government is generating money hand over fist and the little guy is getting screwed more than ever. If these people are being treated this way when the economy is sizzling, what's going to happen to them when we go into a recession.

Regarding the individuals who cannot (or choose not to) work, it's important to understand that many of them are dealing with some sort of a mental disorder may it be a common depression or something more serious. If you have known anyone who deals with depression, you can understand how incapacitating it can be and it's not a simple matter of laziness.

Initially, I used to support the Olympics. After that, I was indifferent. Now, I just don't get it. I just don't see how the Olympics will significantly benefit the regular joe, in fact, if anything, I can see many detremental affects to our city.

The Olympics has re-enforced the old adage: the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. For the rest, it's an ego trip with no significant change in their life.

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

May 23, 2007, 12:24 p.m.

pulls up chair

I'm wonder how long one has to wait for the response from the tree hugging, moss stained, dope smoking, unbathed, tofu eating, and unshaven hippies.

hmmmm…. what wednesday is it today?

May 23, 2007, 12:28 p.m.

Ordinarily I think your love of all solutions China borders on the absurd. However in this case, I wholeheartedly support your suggestion that we shoot everyone in the APC.

I knew you would like it. :lol:

oh and as to why this will continue to happen and only get worse in the years to come see sig….

www.natooke.com

May 23, 2007, 1:02 p.m.

I strongly disagree with the methods these people are resorting to to get their point across but I can understand their frustration.

The economy is doing well, the government is generating money hand over fist and the little guy is getting screwed more than ever. If these people are being treated this way when the economy is sizzling, what's going to happen to them when we go into a recession.

Regarding the individuals who cannot (or choose not to) work, it's important to understand that many of them are dealing with some sort of a mental disorder may it be a common depression or something more serious. If you have known anyone who deals with depression, you can understand how incapacitating it can be and it's not a simple matter of laziness.

Initially, I used to support the Olympics. After that, I was indifferent. Now, I just don't get it. I just don't see how the Olympics will significantly benefit the regular joe, in fact, if anything, I can see many detremental affects to our city.

The Olympics has re-enforced the old adage: the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. For the rest, it's an ego trip with no significant change in their life.

Pedro

well said. I also believe that the efforts of the APC are misguided, but understand why they are so passionate about their cause.

:canada: :swiss:

May 23, 2007, 5:15 p.m.

For the rest, it's an ego trip with no significant change in their life.

Pedro

tourism is an industry, like it or not. it is a resource

having said that i can see why you would be pissed. when i think of all the cab drivers, hotel maids, construction workers etc getting to keep their cushy jobs (and more people being hired!)it makes me angry too

turn off sigs…it will change your life

May 23, 2007, 5:27 p.m.

They should just take any and all money required for extra policing, repairs to damaged property, legal costs, etc. that the APC causes directly out of low-income housing programs. Announce it publically, and then do it. If they keep acting like 5 year olds and smashing things when they don't get their way, then they can find the money for the programs on their own.

May 23, 2007, 5:37 p.m.

having said that i can see why you would be pissed. when i think of all the cab drivers, hotel maids, construction workers etc getting to keep their cushy jobs (and more people being hired!)it makes me angry too

Exactly my point. No significant improvement in the lives of majority.

More tourists, more cab drivers, same cab driver salaries, more profits for cab company. No improvement for the regular joe…

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

May 23, 2007, 5:39 p.m.

well maybe they should all get jobs

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 23, 2007, 5:54 p.m.

Pedro

I agree with this. However, I've never supported these Olympics. Money poorly spent, and my taxes will be paying for them for years. Don't agree with violent protest, but it's gotta be tough to fight the 'man' these days.

May 23, 2007, 6:09 p.m.

They should just take any and all money required for extra policing, repairs to damaged property, legal costs, etc. that the APC causes directly out of low-income housing programs. Announce it publically, and then do it. If they keep acting like 5 year olds and smashing things when they don't get their way, then they can find the money for the programs on their own.

Sure that would work, if the APC actually represented poverty programs.

They do not, they are not elected or even have official representation status of the various housing initiatives, mental health programs, drug programs, etc.

I know a few people that volunteer/work in the low income housing industry, I my self have volunteerd some time to assist with some programs, and I will tell you not everyone in the DT Eastside supports the actions or supposed representation of the APC.

Pedro said it best though, I believe that housing is an issue but I sure as hell don't agree with the APC's tactics.

May 23, 2007, 7:02 p.m.

Driveby egging.

May 23, 2007, 7:39 p.m.

Sure that would work, if the APC actually represented poverty programs.

They do not, they are not elected or even have official representation status of the various housing initiatives, mental health programs, drug programs, etc.

I know a few people that volunteer/work in the low income housing industry, I my self have volunteerd some time to assist with some programs, and I will tell you not everyone in the DT Eastside supports the actions or supposed representation of the APC.

Pedro said it best though, I believe that housing is an issue but I sure as hell don't agree with the APC's tactics.

Oh I know they don't represent shit, but I'm pretty sure that if this were to happen, they'd probably very quickly have their own tactics turned around on them by others.

May 23, 2007, 7:41 p.m.

Exactly my point. No significant improvement in the lives of majority.

More tourists, more cab drivers, same cab driver salaries, more profits for cab company. No improvement for the regular joe…

Pedro

More jobs being available is a pretty good thing, even if they're not top-paying jobs. Hell, I'm currently reaping the shit out of the benefits of there being a huge shortage in the construction industry, and that shortage is having a direct influence on the amount of money going into my pocket. I'm paying for school fairly handily because of it.