another unarmed man shot by police in the US

April 9, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

The mentality of police has shifted in recent years. They're acting more like soldiers occupying a foreign country now and being trained as such. I don't know how anybody can feel safe around them anymore. White or black.

Even in Canada we now have riot cops shooting protesters point blank in the face with gas canisters. The rules of engagement are changing, the use of extreme force is escalating and all the while people pull at straws to justify their criminal behavior.

www.natooke.com

April 9, 2015, 9:34 p.m.

I'm curious to hear just exactly what you think could have happened in earlier events that could possibly provide justification for shooting an unarmed citizen in the back.

Seriously.

He grabbed the cops Tazer, man.
If some guy grabbed me by the Tazer I'd shoot the motherfucker too!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 9, 2015, 9:56 p.m.

I'm curious to hear just exactly what you think could have happened in earlier events that could possibly provide justification for shooting an unarmed citizen in the back.

Seriously.

Who knows what made him do it, but he may have figured he could get away with it, given a recent string of high-profile incidents where unarmed black men who killed with the armed party acquitted. Travon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, Eric Garner, Charley Saturmin Robinet - to name a few - have died in the last few months under those circumstances. In virtually all cases it was claimed that the person killed "reached for the defendant's weapon" at which the defendant's words were taken at face value. The main difference with the Scott killing is that it was clearly captured on video.

He grabbed the cops Tazer, man.
If some guy grabbed me by the Tazer I'd shoot the motherfucker too!

Is "Tazer" the name you give your junk?

April 9, 2015, 11:46 p.m.

Is "Tazer" the name you give your junk?

Nah, it's the nickname the chicks gave it.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 10, 2015, 12:01 a.m.

Nah, it's the nickname the chicks gave it.

is that cause it wriggles around for a few seconds then falls down limp?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 10, 2015, 1 a.m.

is that cause it wriggles around for a few seconds then falls down limp?

:lol:

Imbecile! That's the response it elicits!

:lol:

Well played….

April 10, 2015, 7:09 a.m.

The mentality of police has shifted in recent years. They're acting more like soldiers occupying a foreign country now and being trained as such. I don't know how anybody can feel safe around them anymore. White or black.

Even in Canada we now have riot cops shooting protesters point blank in the face with gas canisters. The rules of engagement are changing, the use of extreme force is escalating and all the while people pull at straws to justify their criminal behavior.

This is a very good point. I'm not sure when the shift occurred, but I suspect that in part it is connected to the "war on terror", which is the catchy name given to the government/media fear mongering that really ramped up after 9/11.

But of course this is in the view of a white Canuck - I'm sure if you asked other ethnicities you'd hear that this has always been the way it is/was.

April 10, 2015, 7:36 a.m.

If three Vancouver Stanley Cup riot had happened in a US city…

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 10, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

If three Vancouver Stanley Cup riot had happened in a US city…

Unless its a Rich People White Ri0t

Lexington, KY, 3/31/2012, Number of People Involved: ~10,000

Columbus, Ohio, 11/23/2003, Number of People Involved: ~5,000

College Park, MD, 3/31/2001 Number of People Involved: ~5,000

State College, PA, 11/9/2011, Number of People Involved: ~1,000

University of Washington

Seattle, WA, 4/6/2010, Number of People Involved: ~1,000

College Park, MD 3/3/2010 Number of People Involved: ~1,000

Albany, NY, 3/12/2011, Number of People Involved: Hundreds

You get the idea …

April 10, 2015, 12:26 p.m.

This is a very good point. I'm not sure when the shift occurred, but I suspect that in part it is connected to the "war on terror", which is the catchy name given to the government/media fear mongering that really ramped up after 9/11.

But of course this is in the view of a white Canuck - I'm sure if you asked other ethnicities you'd hear that this has always been the way it is/was.

Actually it goes waaaay back. All the way back to when I was a child in the US watching black people burning down their ghettos on the evening news.
For a concise history of this early metamorphosis see Warrior Cops.
Overkill fleshes out the Pentagons role.

April 10, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

Actually it goes waaaay back. All the way back to when I was a child in the US watching black people burning down their ghettos on the evening news.
For a concise history of this early metamorphosis see Warrior Cops.
Overkill fleshes out the Pentagons role.

Holy shit. I agree with Tungsten. The first SWAT team was formed in LA back in the 60's and it has been more and like the military ever since. Now that all these police departments can buy ex military gear they love to act like they are at war.

April 10, 2015, 3:44 p.m.

Now that all these police departments can buy ex military gear they love to act like they are at war.

It's not even bought, just "reassigned" to your local neighborhood. 5 or 6 of them in my little state.

Brb peacekeeping in my MRAP.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.

April 10, 2015, 4:25 p.m.

Can't believe the Indians out-America'd America.

Pepper-spraying drones will be used on Indian protesters

April 10, 2015, 4:28 p.m.

It's not even bought, just "reassigned" to your local neighborhood. 5 or 6 of them in my little state.

Brb peacekeeping in my MRAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 10, 2015, 7:46 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A

Sorry, I meant Bearcat…Damn I hate going through Keene and now I've got to watch my rearview for one of those beasts.

cancer curing hurricanes cock down my throat.