Another truck thread

May 1, 2016, 5:40 a.m.

I'm buying a shitty old truck. I've looked dozens of times at pulling the trigger. I just held one at the dealership on month end day, got a good deal, I'm free and clear of all debt since I baked my leased 2013 bmw into it (I have 2.5 years of tax write offs that made this OK on the pocket book), and I'm jacked about that.

The truck is a 2010 GMC Sierra, Crew Cab, SL line, with the 5.3 L v8, 190 km.

I've owned one before and had to replace the throttle body on occasion at high mileage. $400.00, my past experience says you can expect about 110 km per unit. Our vehicle manager at work warns the transfer case can go past 200k. Parts stores all over have these at about $700.00.

Very few belts, lots of chains in the engine, and it and the tranny supposedly last to 300 + km with little internal work.

I'm being an early adopter of what should be this provinces new mantra, we don't all need loans to drive with leather.

Any of you have other issues with these trucks? I close the deal on Monday.

May 1, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

Was looking at that particular generation of gm trucks not too long ago. From what I've read, the drivetrain is near bulletproof (well, the engine is very good at least, the trans should be the beefier 4L80e). The fit and finish may leave a bit to be desired, but it seems neither the equivalent dodge (electrics crap nout) nor ford (engines crap out) have as good average reliability.

If you're ever thinking about it, doesn't take much at all to wake these engines up, lots of potential. Slightly bigger camshaft and a tune would be an excellent starting point

May 1, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

Was looking at that particular generation of gm trucks not too long ago. From what I've read, the drivetrain is near bulletproof (well, the engine is very good at least, the trans should be the beefier 4L80e). The fit and finish may leave a bit to be desired, but it seems neither the equivalent dodge (electrics crap nout) nor ford (engines crap out) have as good average reliability.

If you're ever thinking about it, doesn't take much at all to wake these engines up, lots of potential. Slightly bigger camshaft and a tune would be an excellent starting point

Ya, that's where I was at too. We already own one Nissan, parts are fucking hard to get and expensive (1000 for a power steering pump). Every ford I looked at had a drive train issue of some kind, mostly the tick of death. Every Dodge was alright, but then you never know when the wiring lets go. Tundra is a beautiful truck, and awesome, but I'm not spending 25000-35000 on a 200 000 km truck no matter the brand. The next near new truck I buy will be a Tundra for sure, if their reliability keeps up.

I think I'm pulling the trigger. Exciting day tomorrow… and sad day. By by bimmer.

May 1, 2016, 10:26 a.m.

lol calling a 2010 a shitty old truck.

May 1, 2016, 10:29 a.m.

190 km? My 1972 f150 had similar mileage on it's second crate engine.

Albertastan kinda fucked my perspective though, you're right.

May 1, 2016, 5:56 p.m.

I know right, that shits brand fuckin new man

great hwy cruisers, low ground clearance. we have an old sierra parts truck that gets zero maintenance and just takes it like a champ. last time i changed the engine oil i cut open the filter and the pleats literally disintegrated in my fingers. love that truck. youll do good with a new one.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 2, 2016, 10:29 p.m.

mind if i ask the price? i gather these can be had for a decent deal relative to Tundra's or other options you would rather have?

May 2, 2016, 11:03 p.m.

No kidding, eh? My 1981 is a shitty old van that sleeps 4 and has a kitchen, and still runs great as long as you tune up the points every 1000 km or so.

May 3, 2016, 8:09 a.m.

Feeling rich after cashing your EI cheque?

May 5, 2016, 10:49 p.m.

mind if i ask the price? i gather these can be had for a decent deal relative to Tundra's or other options you would rather have?

It's 13000. And still in limbo, dealer is replacing seals and doing an internal inspection on the front diff for me.

May 6, 2016, 7:02 a.m.

$13k sounds like a lot of dough, (although market rate) for a truck with 190k's on it. I recently bought a truck, and was looking anywhere from $4k - $12; my preference was to spend as little as possible to get what I want while not being so much of a shit heap that it's a pain in the ass to own.

a few notes from my search:

- Trucks over $9k go for way cheaper in Alberta right now, In my case it would have been enough to make a trip to Edmonton worthwhile if I came around to spending that much. Offering prices were $3-$4k less out there once you're over $10k

- There are low mile older trucks out there as well, and they go for a LOT less than something new, even with higher miles. Basically that was what drove me to my 1999 DERGE RAM over something newer. Chose a babied older truck over a more beaten-on higher mile newer one.