Android Latitude

March 2, 2011, 1:23 p.m.

Rather than messing up the Android/I-phone thread, I'll post here.

I've got an HTC Desire, and with the mapping application is Latitude. It allows you to see where your friends are. Looks like it's be cool to play with - see where all the guys I ride with are - especially when they are riding.

I used it for a while tracking my son until he say I had turned that function on.

Anyone use Latitude?

March 2, 2011, 1:45 p.m.

My wife and I both have Nexus Ones and use Latitude a lot to see where the other is at. I've got a few others on it too. The only thing to be said about Latitude is that, when it works, it works really well. That being said it's really buggy and often just doesn't update locations for a few weeks, and then suddenly starts again. It's either on or off generally so not entirely reliable in our experience.

The newest update took away the notifications when someone you've got on Latitude came within a certain distance of you, which was actually pretty handy when you were meeting up with someone somewhere or just happened to be in the same area to grab a coffee/beer so I miss that function too.

Pro-tip: There's a Latitude iGoogle widget you can add so you can see your latitude contacts on your computer browser. Used this once to boredom-stalk my brother-in-law as he traveled across the country. Got to call him up at one point and tell him he had taken the wrong off-ramp on an Ontario highway near my hometown a few minutes after he had made the turn. Saved him 3-4 hours of backtracking and really confused him as to how I knew.

March 2, 2011, 2 p.m.

Excepting for tracking my own kids, I find it creepy. I guess I should use it for rides, in case I get hurt/stuck.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 2, 2011, 2:23 p.m.

Creepy? I suppose, if you were able to covertly track some hot babe you saw in the restaurant beside you, but I don't intend on that - do you?

I think it'd be cool to look at see who I know that is riding Sumas today and where are they.

It is weird though, how when I go into latitude, it creates a list of friends; but how it populates that list I have no idea - none have Android; some have gmail… Don't know.

March 2, 2011, 2:30 p.m.

Creepy? I suppose, if you were able to covertly track some hot babe you saw in the restaurant beside you, but I don't intend on that - do you?

Creepy in the sense of tracking say a spouse.

Using it track my location on rides is good though. My wife will probably wonder why I'm so slow.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 2, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

Excepting for tracking my own kids, I find it creepy. I guess I should use it for rides, in case I get hurt/stuck.

Umm, you can turn it on and off whenever you want and you can only see people who pointedly accept an invitation to be on your list. So how is it creepy? Beats having to call someone every 15 minutes to find out how close they are to meeting up with you.

I think it'd be cool to look at see who I know that is riding Sumas today and where are they.

It is weird though, how when I go into latitude, it creates a list of friends; but how it populates that list I have no idea - none have Android; some have gmail… Don't know.

It doesn't work unless you both have Android phones. I've always just ignored the 'suggested friends' thing unless there was someone there I knew had a phone that I wanted to see.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say that you can share your location through Chrome if you're using the Latitude web app and see/be seen by people through there. I do have one friend who uses Latitude on his iphone and I believe this is how he does it.

March 2, 2011, 2:37 p.m.

Creepy in the sense of tracking say a spouse.

Ah i see where you're coming from. I never think of it that way, but I would imagine my wife would just shut it off if she was doing something she cared about me not knowing about.

March 2, 2011, 3:43 p.m.

Ah i see where you're coming from. I never think of it that way, but I would imagine my wife would just shut it off if she was doing something she cared about me not knowing about.

Ah, but the really paranoid would then want to know WHY it was switched off? Have you got something to hide???

:argue:

March 2, 2011, 3:45 p.m.

Ah, but the really paranoid would then want to know WHY it was switched off? Have you got something to hide???

:argue:

Yes Yes. too lazy to be paranoid. :)

March 2, 2011, 3:56 p.m.

Or, you can manually set a location. My son has been in Mexico for the last few weeks, even though I see him everyday.

March 2, 2011, 4:40 p.m.

Yes Yes. too lazy to be paranoid. :)

It's okay, what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

March 2, 2011, 4:47 p.m.

It doesn't work unless you both have Android phones.

I've been using it on my Windows Mobile phone since Latitude came out which was over a year ago.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

March 2, 2011, 5:01 p.m.

Does it suck up the juice?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 2, 2011, 5:10 p.m.

I've been using it on my Windows Mobile phone since Latitude came out which was over a year ago.

heh ya. The web client only occured to me after I posted that:

If I were to hazard a guess I would say that you can share your location through Chrome if you're using the Latitude web app and see/be seen by people through there. I do have one friend who uses Latitude on his iphone and I believe this is how he does it.

Or is there actually a Winmo app?

March 2, 2011, 5:13 p.m.

Does it suck up the juice?

It only updates occasionally so only uses your GPS then, and you can tell it to only use IP location as well to save battery. But I've never seen a noticeable drain on the battery from it.

You can also kick it into real time updating on a particular person now for a short period but I haven't messed with that too much.