An undergrad is the new highschool?

Feb. 22, 2013, 6:05 p.m.

I can say that many students going to Uni are just as useless going out as they were going in. It's one thing to attend classes and get passing grades, it's another to realize the basic skills that a degree can provide as well as the opportunities that it can afford only if you work for it.

Many students I know are left wondering, after graduating, what to do with themselves. They did not pursue work experience in their field while in school or during summer breaks, they did not enroll in work placement programs that all schools offer, they did not even consider what the outcome of their education should provide outside of that false expectation that they would just "get a job", and they did it all on student loans. When they're done, they go travelling for a year and disconnect themselves further from reality…

Sad but I bet the above case is more frequent than we think.

It is my opinion that kids should go traveling right out of High School for a year or two, maybe get some work experience in manual labour or immerse themselves in something different in order to gain a bit of life experience. Their University acceptance should be deferred (but still valid) until they are ready to attend (maybe a 2-4 year period?) and get something useful from it.

Feb. 22, 2013, 6:10 p.m.

I can say that many students going to Uni are just as useless going out as they were going in. It's one thing to attend classes and get passing grades, it's another to realize the basic skills that a degree can provide as well as the opportunities that it can afford only if you work for it.

Many students I know are left wondering, after graduating, what to do with themselves. They did not pursue work experience in their field while in school or during summer breaks, they did not enroll in work placement programs that all schools offer, they did not even consider what the outcome of their education should provide outside of that false expectation that they would just "get a job", and they did it all on student loans. When they're done, they go travelling for a year and disconnect themselves further from reality…

Sad but I bet the above case is more frequent than we think.

It is my opinion that kids should go traveling right out of High School for a year or two, maybe get some work experience in manual labour or immerse themselves in something different in order to gain a bit of life experience. Their University acceptance should be deferred (but still valid) until they are ready to attend (maybe a 2-4 year period?) and get something useful from it.

Totally agree, some of the kids in my class that are straight out of high school are going to be in for quite a reality check once they start working (yet alone in the industry) they are just doing bare minimum.. not reading the material not shooting for high marks.. yeah ok good luck then.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 22, 2013, 6:15 p.m.

PM sent.

I didn't make it to round up this year, but I find that strange. What is the big change from a year ago? I got one job offer and a second company trying to set up an interview in line for beer simply because I mentioned I wanted to go u/g. Too bad that was after I accepted my current job.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Feb. 22, 2013, 6:57 p.m.

To answer the question those of you with BA degrees should be used to asking, I would like fries with that.

Would you? I'd be happy to sir. If only I worked at McDonald's and could get them for you.

Feb. 22, 2013, 7:14 p.m.

Would you? I'd be happy to sir. If only I worked at McDonald's and could get them for you.

You don't have an engineering degree from the buttfuck montana school of hole diggin? Gaw damn you're stooopid.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 22, 2013, 7:16 p.m.

In my experience where you end up on the spectrum of success has very little to do with your level of education. I know people who never finished high school who have made more money than I'll ever make in my life time and I know many people who attended post secondary and have not lived up to their own expectations.

Education opens a door but experience and a good track record open many.

Feb. 22, 2013, 7:26 p.m.

In a job market saturated with people with post-secondary education that isn't focused to a particular position in a particular industry, those with life experience and referrals will always get ahead. How is this still considered news?

In the ensuing discussion, people with trades training will say something equivalent to "I told you so." Unfortunately that trades training also won't get you a job in the above noted saturated market.

Are trades just the easy way out at the moment? Coming out of high school I was pointed in that direction, but decided not to pursue BCIT. I didn't finish my BA until I was 29, but I'm glad I didn't go into trades.

Some of the kids that come out of BCIT are totally taking the easy way out. What a bunch if self-entitled duds. As a counter point, shit Morg, you should know better than trolling nsmb by calling the trades a bad choice and easier than Uni.

If you are a good worker with either an undergrad that can be used, or a trade that is in demand, you will always have work. I have a diploma from SAIT(southern hillbilly BCIT), and I have only not worked, in my industry( I worked at a sports store and bistro) for 5 months out of 15 years, and it was by choice. I wanted to go skiing.

Feb. 22, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

Are trades just the easy way out at the moment? Coming out of high school I was pointed in that direction, but decided not to pursue BCIT. I didn't finish my BA until I was 29, but I'm glad I didn't go into trades.

there's nothing easy about a career in the trades

Feb. 22, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

It's more the person than the education.

I know people with BAs that can't pour coffee. I also known BAs that are CEOs and VPs of companies.

I know tradespeople that couldn't care less about their job and only want a pay check. I also know tradespeople that are incredibly professional and inspiring leaders.

I've got a BA and a Red Seal and let me tell you the world of opportunity has never been so open before. I have lots of education and experience from UBC and lots of hands on from my trade. With either I do well because of my work ethic and ambition. With both its a veritable force to be reckoned with.

Feb. 22, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

I bet most of these unemployed undergrads feel entitled to being served a prolific career on a silver plater right after graduating university.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 23, 2013, 12:04 a.m.

I bet most of these unemployed undergrads feel entitled to being served a prolific career on a silver plater right after graduating university.

That certainly is part of it. Many aren't willing to make a geographical move to better (or start) their career.

A little known fact about law school Is that it is far from a guaranteed job. I forget which school in the US it was but after doing a follow up "are you employed " call to recent grads any of those that answered no mysteriously got an offer for a temp contract doing legal research for the school.

They could then say they had 100% employment for their grads in their marketing materials.

Feb. 23, 2013, 12:41 a.m.

excuse me?

most people in trades are well established and making a good living by the time you finished your BA.

Feb. 23, 2013, 12:45 a.m.

As a counter point, shit Morg, you should know better than trolling nsmb by calling the trades a bad choice and easier than Uni.

Of course there are other ways to put forth the case for a well-rounded liberal arts education; I was just starting with the tone that usually comes through from the critics here.

flickr

Feb. 23, 2013, 2:29 a.m.

Such snobbery in this thread.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 23, 2013, 4:57 a.m.

My BA was pretty much a waste of time. If I could do it over I would have started working full time out of high school, and I'd be at least one house further ahead than I am now.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.