An undergrad is the new highschool?

Feb. 22, 2013, 3:45 p.m.

From the NYTimes: Having a undergrad degree is the new high-school diploma.

For us [HTML_REMOVED]30s, I would have to say that this is very much the case… and not just for Arts degrees either.

Feb. 22, 2013, 3:48 p.m.

meh Im most optimistic about having picked a trade.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 22, 2013, 3:53 p.m.

I'm sorry, I can't hear their bitching over the sound of the 98% placement rate at the Montana School of Mines (and most other resource engineering schools)

We would be 100% if it weren't for those slackers in general engineering bringing the average down.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Feb. 22, 2013, 3:55 p.m.

I'm sorry, I can't hear their bitching over the sound of the 98% placement rate at the Montana School of Mines (and most other resource engineering schools)

We would be 100% if it weren't for those slackers in general engineering bringing the average down.

You haven't lived through any industry upturns and downturns, obviously. I remember when chemical engineering was to be avoided at all costs due to low pay and lousy working conditions, and entry into computer engineering programs required near perfect high-school grades. Who wants to make a career out of computer engineering now outside of India and China?

University is high school if you don't come out with any tangible skill … no matter what your background, no matter what your field, no matter what your employment - the worth of your labour is based on how replaceable you are in your job.

BCIT claims a 95% placement rate for its graduates.

Feb. 22, 2013, 4 p.m.

News Flash: Not everyone wants to graduate with a degree in earth-rapeology from the Montana School of Mines…

Feb. 22, 2013, 4:25 p.m.

In a job market saturated with people with post-secondary education that isn't focused to a particular position in a particular industry, those with life experience and referrals will always get ahead. How is this still considered news?

In the ensuing discussion, people with trades training will say something equivalent to "I told you so." Unfortunately that trades training also won't get you a job in the above noted saturated market.

Are trades just the easy way out at the moment? Coming out of high school I was pointed in that direction, but decided not to pursue BCIT. I didn't finish my BA until I was 29, but I'm glad I didn't go into trades.

flickr

Feb. 22, 2013, 4:36 p.m.

News Flash: Not everyone wants to graduate with a degree in earth-rapeology from the Montana School of Mines…

Maybe not, but 2 people on this board moved 700+ miles to do so, and we both had a good paying job lined up long before grduation (and I'm only speculating for the other, but it is a pretty safe bet) but I'm pretty sure both had multiple offers as well.

To answer the question those of you with BA degrees should be used to asking, I would like fries with that.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

Feb. 22, 2013, 4:42 p.m.

Maybe not, but 2 people on this board moved 700+ miles to do so, and we both had a good paying job lined up long before grduation (and I'm only speculating for the other, but it is a pretty safe bet) but I'm pretty sure both had multiple offers as well.

To answer the question those of you with BA degrees should be used to asking, I would like fries with that.

Tell that to the lost generation of mining engineers from the '90's. If we are honest, Morgan is right and this is more about the person than the degree. I am guessing that the School of Mines attracts people interested in going in to mining, those people are probably pretty job focused going to a specialized school.

I technically have an Arts degree and also had multiple offers coming out of school. It all worked out just fine.

Feb. 22, 2013, 4:44 p.m.

In glad I didn't go back to college after 1 year. I'm also wishing that I had a degree.

I lacked the focus and foresight at 18 to my mid-twenties to have it be useful. I didn't see any future of employment with a BA in geography outside of teaching so I bounced.

Currently I'm looking at heading back to school in my late 20's but with a solid employment possibility.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 22, 2013, 4:54 p.m.

Yes. All BA's can only get min wage jobs at McDonalds. You are so smart. Tell us all again what country your President was born in?

You would have done well to have gained any of the analytical or critical thinking skills that I gained from my BA.

Feb. 22, 2013, 4:57 p.m.

Tell that to the lost generation of mining engineers from the '90's. If we are honest, Morgan is right and this is more about the person than the degree. I am guessing that the School of Mines attracts people interested in going in to mining, those people are probably pretty job focused going to a specialized school.

I technically have an Arts degree and also had multiple offers coming out of school. It all worked out just fine.

And I'm here to take advantage of that right now. You're right, there is a huge gap in the industry between people with less than 5 years experience and the guys with 25+ years. That lets people in my position move up very quickly into the position that is currently help by old grey haired guys.

Hell, we were joking about that today. There are two engineers and a safety guy in our company under 30, and pretty much all other supervisors are over 50, often closer to 60. We aren't just young enough to be their kids. We are younger than many of their kids.

OTOH, you're probably right. I'm in the position I am in because I found an industry I love, focused on a specific job, and want to work hard and move up. There are people with the same degree who probably couldn't give a shit and will be content planning one stope for the next 10 years. Fuck that. I was the keys to the jet, and I'll do what it takes to get them. The right person could probably go far in any industry, and in any market. I got an exploration job summer of 2009. Ask anyone in the industry how easy that was

Feb. 22, 2013, 5:20 p.m.

I would agree an undergrad is the new HS, back in the day a uni degree was a guarrantied job now days … a barrista

Before you get all smug I remember when an engineer of any kind couldn't find a job of any kind let alone barrista cuz everything is/was cyclical

I technicaly didn't make it out of HS but becuz I laffed at the math teacher when he asked if I was going to uni he passed me which gave me grade 12 which was just enough to get me into IBM

good thing cuz I was too lazy to go to school … went right to work eh

Feb. 22, 2013, 5:44 p.m.

2 interviews within 3km of my house next week for SW pm type jobs. Finishing up my MBA applications. Did pretty well in the graduate diploma I did at SFU, so no GMAT which is rad.

Seems to be working out ok.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 22, 2013, 5:46 p.m.

A four year Uni degree is the new high school diploma, and I'm still surrounded by morons.

It's the education arms race! Aaaah! :lol:

the teh

Feb. 22, 2013, 5:55 p.m.

While I would normally agree and it IS the case a lot of the time… I would love to have that kind-of opportunity. [HTML_REMOVED] M.Eng in Mining (Metallurgical), 6 years exp and have been looking for 4 mths to find a job w/ 2 interviews and no offers [HTML_REMOVED]

This years' Round Up was the most depressing in 15 yrs for operators, or so say my friends that have have going to it for that long…