An Observation

June 7, 2013, 8:03 p.m.

nothing wrong with a good plowin'

I know. I just rode 5 days and its raining. i'm a have another

June 7, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

I'm no feminist, but whats with "Gods" seriously hating on women. Where did that shit come from?

June 7, 2013, 8:13 p.m.

I'm no feminist, but whats with "Gods" seriously hating on women. Where did that shit come from?

In the beginning, man created god, and in his own image created he him.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 7, 2013, 8:23 p.m.

I am not singling you out but when someone says that it is "The Word of God" and I say prove it, they say prove it's not. There is no proof either way yet my asking a believer to prove it is awful yet a believer asking me to prove its not is a valid response.

I say it's the word of God, because it is. A big part of Christianity, is the trinity. God, Jesus, Holy Spirit. The writers of the bible were provoked by the holy spirit which God can use in anyone's life, to make them do things that are, I guess somewhat holy ( that's probably a terrible explanation but bare with me, just trying to use my Christian education here ) The writers of said chapters, felt compelled to share with others the feeling of empowerment the Holy Spirit can give someone, and in doing so they shared Jesus story with the world and other events in their time. Jesus would simply speak to them, and they'd want to spread his word, so they did.

If they wrote down what Jesus said, that's the word Of God. Simple as that, for me.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 7, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

The term "trinity" does not appear in the bible one single time. It doesn't even appear historically until about 200 CE, and the idea was very controversial at the time.

The Council of Nicea met in 325 CE to try hammering out the jesus-god relationship and they arrived at - "God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance (homoousios) with the Father." That conclusion continued to be highly controversial and often debated. It never really became accepted christian doctrine until about the 5th century.

There are a number of christian churches that to this day do not accept the doctrine of trinity - mormons, arians, unitarians, jehovahs witlesses to name a few.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 7, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

Christianity is not just, a book of teachings that we follow like robots. It is the end all, and do all for everything in life that gives someone a purpose driven life, with ultimate reward. My dad does not keep the Bible on a shelf, in a glass case with a digit code for entry. He keeps it beside the kitchen table so he can read it when he wakes up along with his favorite Christian author/ writer at the time. My dad made all of us kids go to church when we were younger, and even though I didn't go for 3 years because I hated Gods world and felt he was to blame.. Im back now and will never regret the decision I've made to stay faithful to God, and at the same time faithful to my parents up bringing. God is merciful. But God is compassionate. God will listen to anyone's problem and understand you no matter how bad you think you may have it. I would cry to myself after smoking weed thinking how lost I was in this world, literally thinking "WTF man".. going home just wanting to sleep and waking up with weight over my head and having it there for way too long.. um.. getting off track here… moral of that little story is God is real friends. He is not a myth or a made up idea to keep us happy, because he truly is the epitamy of happiness. I can feel it, and it's not a feeling of being better then anyone, it's not this cockiness that one may have to one up people, NOTHING LIKE THAT. Faith has now taught me to listen, to anyone. Hear what they're saying. Everything they are saying and do anything I can to hepl, or not even help but try to anyways… ( oh man that sounds kind of, gay, helping people, really?.. no worries it's not a terrible idea )

I could go on forever, but.. let the :argue: continue..

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

June 7, 2013, 8:38 p.m.

There are a number of christian churches that to this day do not accept the doctrine of trinity - mormons, arians, unitarians, jehovahs witlesses to name a few.

Kn.

Do not include Jehovah Witnesses in the same category as Christians. They do not believe in Jesus, Jesus is Christ.. CHRISTian, has Christ in the the world, therefore, they can be called something else, they just couldn't think of anything so they used our bible for their teachings but took Jesus out of there… sorry guys, doesn't work like that

June 7, 2013, 8:39 p.m.

Christianity is not just, a book of teachings that we follow like robots. It is the end all, and do all for everything in life that gives someone a purpose driven life, with ultimate reward. My dad does not keep the Bible on a shelf, in a glass case with a digit code for entry. He keeps it beside the kitchen table so he can read it when he wakes up along with his favorite Christian author/ writer at the time. My dad made all of us kids go to church when we were younger, and even though I didn't go for 3 years because I hated Gods world and felt he was to blame.. Im back now and will never regret the decision I've made to stay faithful to God, and at the same time faithful to my parents up bringing. God is merciful. But God is compassionate. God will listen to anyone's problem and understand you no matter how bad you think you may have it. I would cry to myself after smoking weed thinking how lost I was in this world, literally thinking "WTF man".. going home just wanting to sleep and waking up with weight over my head and having it there for way too long.. um.. getting off track here… moral of that little story is God is real friends. He is not a myth or a made up idea to keep us happy, because he truly is the epitamy of happiness. I can feel it, and it's not a feeling of being better then anyone, it's not this cockiness that one may have to one up people, NOTHING LIKE THAT. Faith has now taught me to listen, to anyone. Hear what they're saying. Everything they are saying and do anything I can to hepl, or not even help but try to anyways… ( oh man that sounds kind of, gay, helping people, really?.. no worries it's not a terrible idea )

Do you drink coffee?

June 7, 2013, 8:42 p.m.

Atheist evolved: This.

June 7, 2013, 8:43 p.m.

See, I don't see a problem here, or a destroyed mind. There's no push for the rest of us heathens to adopt his religion, it brings him a positive feeling in his life, it's his belief and whether you agree with it or not why is it so hard to respect that belief?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 7, 2013, 8:44 p.m.

Matthew 8:21 - Jesus tells a man who had just lost his father: "Let the dead bury the dead."

Matthew 10:34-37 - Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword."

Mark 7:9-10 - Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as required by Old Testament law.

Luke 14:26 - Jesus says that his disciples must hate their families (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives, children) and themselves.

John 3:16 - As an example to parents everywhere and to save the world (from himself), God had his own son tortured and killed.

Acts 5:1-10 - Peter and God scare Ananias and his wife to death for not forking over all of the money that they made when selling their land.

Ephesians 5:22-24 - Wives must submit to their husbands "in every thing" as though they were Christ. "For the husband is the head of the wife."

Colossians 3:18 - Wives, according to Paul, must submit themselves to their husbands.

1 Timothy 5:9-15 - You should help a widow only if she 1) is over 60 years old, 2) had only one husband, 3) has raised children, 4) has lodged strangers, 5) has "washed the saints feet," 6) has relieved the afflicted, and 7) has "diligently followed very good work." Otherwise, let them starve. "But the younger widows refuse [to help]: for … they will marry; having damnation." Besides the young widows are always idle tattlers - "busybodies, spreading things which they ought not." He adds that "some are already turned aside after Satan."

Hebrews 12:6-8 (oh, this is rich) - God always hurts the ones he loves. And if God doesn't hurt you, you are a bastard, not a son.

1 Peter 3:2-6 - Wives are to use "chaste conversation, coupled with fear." They are not to braid their hair, wear gold, or put on any "apparel." They are to do these things in imitation of the "holy" women of the Old testament who were "in subjection to their won husbands: even as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him Lord."

Nice.

Oh, and let's not forget, like, the entire book of revelations.

Kn.

This post is made non-malicously

ok, so you've shared some examples that show the new testament is not all great. seeing as i had already acknowledged that point in my previous post i'm not sure what point you're trying to prove or uncover here.

would you care to share some examples of positive messages? or is it that you prefer to only speak about the negative aspect of the equation because that's what best suits your position?

as far as your examples, some of the incomplete, incorrect and/or paraphrased quotes do nothing but make your argument look specious or show that you either do not understand the context or are choosing to ignore it because it does not support your position. with you being someone who touts clarity in scientific papers and looking for the whole story so as not to make incorrect assumptions i find this somewhat puzzling. it is not uncommon when taking partial quotes from the bible (new or old testament) and interpreting them literally for mistakes and misinterpetations to be made when seeking their meaning. i have to ask does it make sense to compare the meaning of translated language from 2000 year old texts to the meanings of language we carry today?

for example your quote of luke 14:26 misses the context of the message. jesus speak not of hating family but of putting love of christ first, of what the cost is for following him and being a true disciple. and being his disciple is of utmost importance in order to fully love those around us. so in fact, the literal interpretation you would have us beleive is actually the opposite of the intended meaning.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 7, 2013, 8:44 p.m.

I say bring back khaki shorts and poly hawaiin shirts. that'll get rid of all the noobs

Didn't Flip Fantasia ride with a Hawaiian shirt all the time long ago?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 7, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

I say it's the word of God, because it is. A big part of Christianity, is the trinity. God, Jesus, Holy Spirit. The writers of the bible were provoked by the holy spirit which God can use in anyone's life, to make them do things that are, I guess somewhat holy ( that's probably a terrible explanation but bare with me, just trying to use my Christian education here ) The writers of said chapters, felt compelled to share with others the feeling of empowerment the Holy Spirit can give someone, and in doing so they shared Jesus story with the world and other events in their time. Jesus would simply speak to them, and they'd want to spread his word, so they did.

If they wrote down what Jesus said, that's the word Of God. Simple as that, for me.

So you just blindly believe its the Word of God because the church says so or do you have other reasons? Not trying to be a dick but just trying to understand how or why you will believe something "is" just because "it is" that has no proof either for or against?

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

wow, you've just laid out pretty much everything that I have against religion, all in one post. I don't need a book or a belief to give me a purpose, guidance or guilt in my life. I let my life experiences and own thoughts guide my path.

why is it so hard to respect that belief?

I asked earlier, but no one has replied.

What is respect in this case? When someone says "x = y", how are we to know whether or not we can ask questions on why that person thinks x = y?

Before you go there, every hot-button thread has a handful of posts whose main gist is that those with differing opinions are shit-hurling monkey's.