Alberta election

April 24, 2012, 6:33 a.m.

Are the Alberta Conservatives different than the Federal Conservatives in that respect?

Unquestionably; they openly support gay marriage, abortion, and the morning after pill. They increased funding for secondary education in the province by 100 million dollars last year. They tripled AISH (Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped) payments, and they budget based on the success or failure of social programs - so Edmonton receives provincial funding for a wildly successful community policing blitz program that will be making its way to other major centers. Basically, police officers team up with psychologists and social workers and go out into a rough neighborhood and try to work out why people are committing crimes, then come up with a street level solution to help them stop.

April 24, 2012, 8:28 a.m.

I live on the other side of the country, but i'm relieved to see this result. Nice to see far right ideologues refused a chance in Canada.

I hope it's indicative of something.

April 24, 2012, 8:40 a.m.

Are the Alberta Conservatives different than the Federal Conservatives in that respect?

Wildrose = Federal Conservatives with a fresh young face as a puppet.

April 24, 2012, 8:41 a.m.

A big FU to Tea Party North!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 24, 2012, 8:55 a.m.

HEY! National Post … You ass-clowns have turned from a respected journalistic institute to the written equivalent of fox news with a little bit of perfume.

Really? "respected"? That thing is a rag. I read it to get a good laugh sometimes. Seriously. G[HTML_REMOVED]M really isn't much better, but it does tend to have somewhat more diverse points of view. The G[HTML_REMOVED]M's "Financial" and "Life" sections are lol. "I have $2 million in cash and I don't know what to do with it", or "My mother is having an affair with my ex wife. What should I do?".

April 24, 2012, 11:26 a.m.

A big FU to Tea Party North!

Kn.

Thanks god. I wonder how many of my Alberta friends had to swallow hard when voting for the PC's to counteract the WRP votes. I found it really odd to be happy to see such a huge PC majority forming last night during the vote count. Crazy shit.

f e r g s :canada:

April 24, 2012, 12:24 p.m.

Unquestionably; they openly support gay marriage, abortion, and the morning after pill. T

WOW

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 24, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

http://daveberta.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Alberta-Election-Results-2012.jpg

pretty clear splits in how each region voted.

www.travelswithtyler.com

April 24, 2012, 1:50 p.m.

i take it the green is wildrose?
i figured it would look opposite..

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 24, 2012, 3:04 p.m.

the calgary map is interesting - an island of (relative) liberalism in a sea of slack jawed yokelists. seems southern AB is analogous to our US neighbours…

April 24, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

the calgary map is interesting - an island of (relative) liberalism in a sea of slack jawed yokelists. seems southern AB is analogous to our US neighbours…

My thoughts are right wing vote splitting allowed the Liberals to get those seats in Calgary.

April 24, 2012, 5:06 p.m.

i take it the green is wildrose?
i figured it would look opposite..

Maybe all those up "where the magic happens" didn't like the sound of a freeze on capital works.

CHeers Ben

April 24, 2012, 6:02 p.m.

My thoughts are right wing vote splitting allowed the Liberals to get those seats in Calgary.

those are the districts around the university.

www.travelswithtyler.com

April 24, 2012, 9:35 p.m.

Big loser in the election are the pollsters.

So what effect did the bus have on the election?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 24, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

Thanks god. I wonder how many of my Alberta friends had to swallow hard when voting for the PC's to counteract the WRP votes. I found it really odd to be happy to see such a huge PC majority forming last night during the vote count. Crazy shit.

Probably very few. Redford one a stronger majority than Klein's first. That cannot happen in the face of a competing right wing party in this province without deep seated party loyalty - there isn't any disputing that, but you have to be from here with a loyalty to the PCs to understand. This was an election in a boom. Everybody has a job, everybody's job is paying well, people who are starting businesses and not leveraging themselves out of work are doing great, we don't have any debt, our students rank amongst the best in the world, our health care system is awesome outside of the major urban centers, and there's an abundance of just about everything a guy could think of. Right now in Alberta it's pretty much impossible to be a fuck up, unless you tinker with drugs, and Redford's continued funding of community action programs in Edmonton is proving very successful in dealing with that aspect of our culture - finally, we've got somebody that doesn't just ship them to you. People don't vote with their head in the sand here.

Big loser in the election are the pollsters.

So what effect did the bus have on the election?

The polls were only targeting disgruntled or stupid people - why? Because when people who are happy with the government get a call, it's usually at a time when they're busy with work or play, and they just hang up. Even stupider are the Newspapers who believed them. The PC party had internal projections predicting almost exactly this make up of the Assembly… media polls are garbage - and the Wildrose are dirty.