airplane vs conveyor belt

May 26, 2009, 5:48 p.m.

imagine if you glued two helicopters together all backwards like?
omog

hahaha

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

May 26, 2009, 5:56 p.m.

Ok, I didn't read the 78 pages of this, so it's probably been answered well several times, but here is the answer:

In a "perfect world" with an infinitely powerful belt and no friction in the wheels:
3. There's no friction in the wheels moving infinitely fast so the plane takes off anyway.

So what you are saying is that there is a speed faster than infinity?

May 26, 2009, 6:35 p.m.

i love how people who, once realizing that it won't take off, try to sugar coat it with a "in the real world"

i mean, do you do this in every question…

"who would win in a fight, superman or spiderman?"

do you answer assuming that we are talking about a world where both would exist, or is your answer "neither exist therefore I will not answer"

what if someone asks a political question that asks what you would do differently if you were in power? do you answer questions like that or refuse to because you are not a member of parliment?

The question assumes there is a conveyor belt with these capabilities. No reason to answer other questions.

BTW, superman would kick spidey's ass

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

May 26, 2009, 7:35 p.m.

BTW, superman would kick spidey's ass

With the apparent availability of kryptonite, a little in Spidee's back pocket and
SM would be wrapped and liquefied and used as a snack.

Of course neither one of them could swim so a Aquaman vs SM is a moot point.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

May 26, 2009, 8:05 p.m.

With the apparent availability of kryptonite…

In theory, this would be valid, but in the real world there is no kryptonite.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 26, 2009, 8:14 p.m.

In theory, this would be valid, but in the real world there is no kryptonite.

There is Krypton (Kr):

So one can only assume that combining Kr w/ O3 you would have KrO3 would then make Kryptonite…See, I'm ready for the caped man in tights. Hey, wait, that didn't come out quite like I wanted it to.

May 26, 2009, 8:51 p.m.

There is Krypton (Kr):
So one can only assume that combining Kr w/ O3 you would have KrO3 would then make Kryptonite…

It will have to be a cold day as you need at least -157.37

May 26, 2009, 9:37 p.m.

i love how people who, once realizing that it won't take off, try to sugar coat it with a "in the real world"

The question assumes there is a conveyor belt with these capabilities. No reason to answer other questions.

My point was not to sugar coat it, but to point out that no matter what the plane takes off. Whether you are in theoretical land with infinite speeds and zero friction, or in the real world with finite speeds and non-zero friction, the plane takes off.

This question is akin to saying "Will a normal plane take off on a normal runway if spiderman kills superman?" No matter what you argue about the reality of spiderman, the plane still takes off.

May 26, 2009, 10:05 p.m.

It will have to be a cold day as you need at least -157.37[HTML_REMOVED]#176; C to freeze Krypton, but then if you wanted solid Oxygen, you need [HTML_REMOVED]#8722;222.65 [HTML_REMOVED]#176;C. :nerd:

So what you're telling me is I didn't move far enough north to make this happen?
edit: apparently I also need to do it under water as I also need some pressure to
oxidize the krypton.

May 26, 2009, 10:09 p.m.

My point was not to sugar coat it, but to point out that no matter what the plane takes off. Whether you are in theoretical land with infinite speeds and zero friction, or in the real world with finite speeds and non-zero friction, the plane takes off.

This question is akin to saying "Will a normal plane take off on a normal runway if spiderman kills superman?" No matter what you argue about the reality of spiderman, the plane still takes off.

wait, so even in a world where the conveyor can match the speed of the wheels at ANY given time, the plane takes off?

pray tell

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

May 26, 2009, 10:14 p.m.

i mean, do you do this in every question…

"who would win in a fight, superman or spiderman?"

So are you saying the plane is totally going to kick the conveyor's ass? What about the conveyor's super speed?

This space intentionally left blank.

May 26, 2009, 10:20 p.m.

Why doesn't someone just model this in a 3d program and make shit happen so it's settled once and for all?

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

May 26, 2009, 10:27 p.m.

Why doesn't someone just model this in a 3d program and make shit happen so it's settled once and for all?

See the problem is that the "plane won't take off people" believe that the friction
of the wheels will stop the plane from getting forward motion (through the air)
to get enough lift to take off. I and many (as is evidenced by the plane actually
taking off) feel the wheels are inconsequential to the equation. If the plane were
on skids it would still take off.

If a plane is flying at 100kts 1' above the ground, the ground is matching the speed
of the plane in the opposite direction and the plane is still flying. If the plane is
flying in a 100kt tail wind at 100kts, then the ground will be moving twice the
speed backwards as the plane is moving forward…the plane still flies.

As far as the whole the ground will move at infinity before the plane takes off
then it won't happen because as the plane "slows down" so will the belt.

So even if the plane is moving at 100kts the conveyor will still only be moving
backward at 200kts. If V is 100kts, the plane takes off.

And zeus kicks supermans ass, unless his wife is trying to screw him over again.

May 26, 2009, 10:34 p.m.

First you have to provide the Excel spreadsheets with all the calculations and data.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 26, 2009, 10:35 p.m.

How do you model this? The question requires defiance of newton's laws, and the laws of thermodynamics. Do you just make some stuff up? I still say the plane doesn't take off, it just falls straight up, since that's the direction gravity points. Why not? Nothing else in physics is being followed.

Conveyor spins, plane falls straight up, superman punches it and it blows up. Therefore it doesn't take off.

This space intentionally left blank.