airplane vs conveyor belt

Dec. 21, 2007, 7:35 p.m.

I was neg-repped in this thread a year ago for "ignoring everyone's posts and posting irrelevant shit".

damn.

I just did that

Dec. 21, 2007, 8:11 p.m.

For the ?-symmetric super IIA D-brane action by the canonical approach we construct an equivalent effective action which is characterized by an auxiliary scalar field. By analyzing the canonical equations of motion for the ?-symmetry-gauge-fixed action we find a suitable conformal-like covariant gauge fixing of reparametrization symmetry to obtain a simplified effective action where the non-linear square root structure is removed. We discuss how the two effective actions are connected.

How interesting.

Dec. 21, 2007, 8:18 p.m.

How interesting.

I googled super complicated physics theories or some shit

Dec. 21, 2007, 8:47 p.m.

the plane WILL take off, the ground speed has absolutely nothing to do with air speed, and the belts would have no effect on the speed the plane would travel because the wheels are almost frictionless… so the plane WILL take off (thats what my physics teacher said)

at least you now know that your teacher is either
a) a joker
b)stupid
c)evil

turn off sigs…it will change your life

Dec. 21, 2007, 8:50 p.m.

I've read as much of this thread as I can, and from what I can see, the people
that think it will not take off, are either getting a different set of rules for this
question, or don't know anything about airplanes and flight except that you don't

it is neat to see people post shit like this and then later realize they are wrong and post the exact opposite.

don't worry, almost everyone (but me) starts off thinking it will take off.

if you need a hand, just try to talk yourself through HOW it will take off… you will end up saying something like "the wheels will just move faster" when you get there you have found your error

Dec. 21, 2007, 8:55 p.m.

once EVERYONE has admitted defeat, i have another question for a new thread

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:16 p.m.

i have another question for a new thread

for the love of god…..

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:55 p.m.

To me this is a dumb queastion.

There's no way the conveyor could accelerate wheels fast enough to keep the plane stationary for more than a few seconds. In theory sure, the plane won't take off. In reality, it'll take off no problem.

brutal answer. you lose

Dec. 21, 2007, 9:58 p.m.

i agree 100 percent with sammyJ

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:03 p.m.

This thread is dumb.

Would you rather be a flying fish or a penguin?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:04 p.m.

i agree 100 percent with sammyJ

no you do not

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:05 p.m.

yes i do, i though we had agreed on this some pages back. if we didn't i don't really care at this point.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:06 p.m.

yes i do, i though we had agreed on this some pages back. if we didn't i don't really care at this point.

:lol:

what kind of marks do you get on a test for attacking the question?

pretend the question said "magic" if that makes it easier as it might as well have

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:19 p.m.

This how i see it,

1st, the plane is sitting still on the runway.

2nd, the engine starts, and pushes/pulls on the air

3rd, because the engine is pushing/pulling on the air, it must move forward

4th, at moves forward and the wheel accelerate up to infinity

5th, the wheels seize or explode, and depending on how much power the engine has
a) It just skids across the runway and takes off,
b) It just sits there because it wheels are broken and it cant move

Dec. 21, 2007, 10:21 p.m.

Hey lurch - let's say you have a wheel weighing half a ton, with frictionless bearings. In fact, let's say you have eight of them. How much force does it take to rotate that wheel at an extremely high rate of acceleration?

Your just trying to trick me into posting again
You need to know what that high rate of acceleration is in order to calculate the force (F=m x a). And to apply it to the example of our plane, calculate from that the linear force applied to the axle (dimensions of the tire required) so you could figure out how much acceleration would be required in order to hold the thrust from plane back.
If you already know the force you are fighting against (linear force on the axles produce by thrust from the engines ) you can calculate the required rate of acceleration (still need the dimensions of the tires).

Could that force (in theory) be applied by a conveyor belt, with, perhaps, a balancing thrust (from, let's say, a jet engine) to keep the whole system from moving backward?

The short answer is yes. First I am no engineer, but in the same way that a plane would normally apply a linear force forward through the spindles to the wheels as it accelerates on a normal runway, the wheels and tires have a tendancy to push the plane back if the wheel was ACCELERATED. Without accleration however, (ie:get the treadmill running at a constant 1 0000000000 mph) you would be able to hold the plane from moving with your hand since there would no longer be any force on the axle when the wheels are spining at a constant speed objects in motion tend to stay in motion, objects at rest tend to stay at rest). The hand theory doesnt take into account the friction between the tire and the belt surface which at 1 0000000000 mph on a normal tire would create a significant force to want the tire to slow down but if the tire is able to handle that speed, it would have to be super ultra mega heat resistant or have a low enough co-efficient of friction to stop the energy loss into heat. If it can spin at that speed with so little energy loss that it wont get warm, you would be able to hold the plane back with your finger, never mind needing a jet engine.

I admit I interpreted (still do) the "fuzzy" part of the question (speed of the conveyer matching the speed of the wheels part) as "if the wheels are rotating at an rpm equal to 60mph, then the belt is going 60mph in the opposite direction". Interpret it that way, and the plane will fly.
It took me this long to finally see what the other half was seeing- "the conveyor belt moves at a rate that if you had a gps in the plane, it would show no movement of the plane (wheels spinning insanely fast but staying stationary to the earth). That would require the belt to infinately accelerate to be able to hold the wheels in the same geographic location.

GW, quit stirring the pot.

If this thread still exists in a couple years, I will search out my previous post that showed the ROUGH math for the plane will fly interpretation, and I will do the math to show the rate of acceleration of the belt that is required to hold the plane back for the it wont fly interpretation. It will be using 1lb thrust and 1lb tires and zero friction bearings/tires since I dont think there is a calculator with enough characters to use real plane figures.

BEFORE ANYONE TRIES TO ARGUE FURTHER THAT IT WILL OR WONT FLY, READ THIS POST AND UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TRYING TO GET ACROSS.
THE FU@#ING QUESTION IS TOO FU@#ING VAGUE TO GIVE A RIGHT ANSWER. LET THIS FU@#ING THREAD DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

If you post up after this post and try and argue either point wrong, you are either ignorant or a shit disturber.
Did I mention letting this thread die.

Eric