8 Seconds- A Cyclist's Death

Oct. 17, 2011, 10:20 a.m.

Short version for those who don't know.

Sheppard a bike courier has angry confrontation with car, driver happens to be former Ontario AG Bryant, Sheppard pulls in front of Bryant who hits him with car, Sheppard grabs onto Bryant's car, Bryant takes off with Sheppard being dragged, finally kills Sheppard, flees scene.

Now is writing a book on the incident.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/10/17/bryant-book.html?cmp=rss

And profits.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 17, 2011, 11:33 a.m.

I'd have no problems showing up to his book signing to dump gas and flames on a stack of his books.

tommrorow. mom took the van/

Oct. 17, 2011, 11:35 a.m.

Sounds like a classy guy. The fuck.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 17, 2011, noon

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 17, 2011, 12:29 p.m.

Sheppard a bike courier has angry confrontation with car, driver happens to be former Ontario AG Bryant, Sheppard pulls in front of Bryant who hits him with car, Sheppard grabs onto Bryant's car, Bryant takes off with Sheppard being dragged, finally kills Sheppard, flees scene.

And profits.

The semi short version had a few more details.

The 33-year-old cyclist latched onto the former politician's car and died after striking a fire hydrant and and hitting the pavement.

Evidence showed Sheppard had a history of aggressive behaviour with drivers and twice the legal limit of alcohol in his blood at the time of the incident.

Oct. 17, 2011, 1:32 p.m.

Even the supposedly aggressive behaviour of said courier Sheppard should not have resulted in the death.

1. Offensive and abusive person drops bike after verbally abusing me, hitting my car, etc.

2. Latches onto car.

3. I call the cops, do not leave my car.

So far the ideal case - in this case, writing a book about how a driver apparently did not stop with his car but seriously considered injuring or maiming a person latched onto his car…well, it is just sick.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 17, 2011, 2:58 p.m.

The proceeds from the sale of this book are going to the Pine River Foundation for adolescent mental health and substance abuse treatment.
So ease up, this isn't about money. I'm not condoning what Bryant did, but I won't judge, very difficult to assess what any of us would do, without being there.

And before we tar and feather Bryant, he was, according to police, forth coming and cooperative. On top if having to live with killing someone, this whole, aweful mess cost Bryant his career.

Just sayin'.

You may now resume the e-lynching.

And profits.

Oct. 17, 2011, 3:05 p.m.

The proceeds from the sale of this book are going to the Pine River Foundation for adolescent mental health and substance abuse treatment.
So ease up, this isn't about money. I'm not condoning what Bryant did, but I won't judge, very difficult to assess what any of us would do, without being there.

And before we tar and feather Bryant, he was, according to police, forth coming and cooperative. On top if having to live with killing someone, this whole, aweful mess cost Bryant his career.

Just sayin'.

You may no resume the e-lynching.

A PORTION of the proceeds.

9 times out of 10 that means a fraction of a percentage of the proceeds after expenses, taxes, and everyone else has a taste.

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 17, 2011, 3:12 p.m.

Even the supposedly aggressive behaviour of said courier Sheppard should not have resulted in the death.

1. Offensive and abusive person drops bike after verbally abusing me, hitting my car, etc.

2. Latches onto car.

3. I call the cops, do not leave my car.

So far the ideal case - in this case, writing a book about how a driver apparently did not stop with his car but seriously considered injuring or maiming a person latched onto his car…well, it is just sick.

You forgot the most important little detail.

Don't use your car to hit said cyclist first then wonder why the above is occurring. Before Bryant did that it was really two road users telling each other off.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 17, 2011, 3:16 p.m.

A PORTION of the proceeds.

9 times out of 10 that means a fraction of a percentage of the proceeds after expenses, taxes, and everyone else has a taste.

Yes, a portion. Is the argument that expenses should be coming out of his pocket?

The small amount of money that this would generate wouldn't be worth it to Bryant.

Money isn't what this is about, which was my point.

Oct. 17, 2011, 4:05 p.m.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 17, 2011, 4:22 p.m.

Yes, a portion. Is the argument that expenses should be coming out of his pocket?

The small amount of money that this would generate wouldn't be worth it to Bryant.

Money isn't what this is about, which was my point.

I really doubt that this isn't about money (especially if it did kill his career like you said, but I'm also not convinced of that). However, that's not the issue.

My point is that stating 'a portion of the proceeds' can mean 90% of all revenue after printing costs, or a couple of bucks sent in the form of a cheque from the publisher. It's almost always the latter if they don't specify what the 'portion' is.

I give 'a portion' of my annual income to the CNIB every year because I from time to time drop my spare change in the plastic jars they've got around. Probably amounts to about $1.25 a year, but that's still 'a portion'.

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 17, 2011, 4:26 p.m.

I know it is fun to jump to conclusions on the interwebz but the special prosecutor Richard Peck concluded:

that there was no reasonable prospect of conviction as Bryant was attacked by a man who unfortunately was in a rage. Bryant was legally justified in his attempt to get away.

Peck also noted that Sheppard had run-ins with six other motorists in the same month before his encounter with Bryant,and was witnessed throwing traffic cones in front of cars at the corner of Bloor [HTML_REMOVED] Young less than twenty minutes before the crash

Drunk angry dude jumps on your car (convertible so no rolling up the windows and turning on the wipers here) do you know how you would react? I don't.

In South Africa they deal with it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Oct. 17, 2011, 4:54 p.m.

In South Africa they deal with it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

South Africa is broken. Nothing they do there is a reasonable indication of how to behave in civil society.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 17, 2011, 6:20 p.m.

Drunk angry dude jumps on your car (convertible so no rolling up the windows and turning on the wipers here) do you know how you would react? I don't.

Hmm.. funny how again one little detail is missed. That being before the above Mr Bryant hit Sheppard with his car. Backed up letting Sheppard fall to road. Then proceeded to try and drive around Sheppard. It was after this that we had the rest.

If this was 2 cars you damm well know Bryant wouldn't be backing up and trying to round said car. Cars would be in park, hazard lights on and drivers arguing and exchanging info.

The reality no one wants to accept is that until Bryant knocked Sheppard off his bike from behind. This was just some guy yelling and ranting on a bike riding around. The second Bryant made his decision to let his car move was when it changed.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk