4x4ing- How to learn

April 30, 2007, 9:25 p.m.

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine and he thinks the best way to learn to drive offroad is in a truck that's already jacked up on 35" tires. I disagreed and said you're best off learning in something much less radical because you will learn proper driving technique instead of just getting the truck to do all the work. What's your take?

Austin

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

April 30, 2007, 9:35 p.m.

learning to 4X4 is expensive, no matter which way you look at it.

April 30, 2007, 9:47 p.m.

Subaru Loyale. Jumps, rally, 4x4, commute. Best of everything.

April 30, 2007, 9:50 p.m.

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine and he thinks the best way to learn to drive offroad is in a truck that's already jacked up on 35" tires. I disagreed and said you're best off learning in something much less radical because you will learn proper driving technique instead of just getting the truck to do all the work. What's your take?

Austin

Wholy HT vs. FS.

It's more or less the same as that argument.

April 30, 2007, 9:59 p.m.

Subaru Loyale. Jumps, rally, 4x4, commute. Best of everything.

When you have a Subaru you don

April 30, 2007, 10:11 p.m.

Here's how it's done

Buy 4X4
Install lift kit and largest tires that will fit.
Install gun rack
Buy 12 gauge shotgun
Buy 48 cans of beer
Check around neighborhood for old discarded furniture, collect as much as you can and put it in the back of your new pickup.
Find a closed gravel road that heads away from population, ignore gates.
Drink 12 beer, load up shotgun and use the "no access" and "no motorized vehicles" signs as target practice.
Head up the road as far as you can go, it you get stuck, apply more pressure to your right foot. Dig big ruts, the next guy will think it's cool.
Once you've found a nice view point, drink 12 more beer, empty old furniture out of the back and light them on fire. Set up the 24 empty cans and use them for target practice. Drink 12 more beer.
After the fire is going good and the empty cans are spread around the viewpoint, head back down the road as fast as you can while drinking the remaining 12 beer. Shoot anything that moves, and anything else that might move. Arrive home, turn on some Nascar or Monster truck racing and brag about the wild day of 4X4ing with your buddies while you crack the whiskey bottle open.

At least that's how we did it back in the day.

The climb up Burke Mtn seems to be a training ground for this activity.

April 30, 2007, 10:22 p.m.

Here's how it's done

Oh no, please don't suggest that, not even in fun…there's guys in weird little golf-carts on steroids that drive around the blocked access and all over the lower hiking trails, making a big mucky mess with their skinny little tires.:nolove:

April 30, 2007, 10:25 p.m.

something really cheap, and ugly, like a geo tracker or sumthing.

Go and trash it, thats about the fastest way to learn. IMO to be decent at 4x4 you just need to know the basics of physics and be good at manuevering a vehicle.

April 30, 2007, 10:26 p.m.

Here's how it's done

Buy 4X4
Install lift kit and largest tires that will fit.
Install gun rack
Buy 12 gauge shotgun
Buy 48 cans of beer
Check around neighborhood for old discarded furniture, collect as much as you can and put it in the back of your new pickup.
Find a closed gravel road that heads away from population, ignore gates.
Drink 12 beer, load up shotgun and use the "no access" and "no motorized vehicles" signs as target practice.
Head up the road as far as you can go, it you get stuck, apply more pressure to your right foot. Dig big ruts, the next guy will think it's cool.
Once you've found a nice view point, drink 12 more beer, empty old furniture out of the back and light them on fire. Set up the 24 empty cans and use them for target practice. Drink 12 more beer.
After the fire is going good and the empty cans are spread around the viewpoint, head back down the road as fast as you can while drinking the remaining 12 beer. Shoot anything that moves, and anything else that might move. Arrive home, turn on some Nascar or Monster truck racing and brag about the wild day of 4X4ing with your buddies while you crack the whiskey bottle open.

At least that's how we did it back in the day.

you forgot to shoot the burning furniture :rolleyes: It seems wherever there is to 4x4 theres burned vehicles, shotgun shells, and garbage.

damn rednecks…

April 30, 2007, 10:28 p.m.

you forgot to shoot the burning furniture :rolleyes:

What do you think the empty cans are set up on? duh

April 30, 2007, 10:38 p.m.

:lol: i laugh every time i see the bullet holes in the signs on burke

there also used to be a beer can tree on sawblade couple years ago, but it's long gone now

April 30, 2007, 10:39 p.m.

Check out BC4x4.com. I think it's the first Sunday of the month) or maybe Saturday. They also have a forum for newbies.

Learn the limits of your truck, what will break and not break. Figure out how to side-hill, self-recover, off-camber, and reverse. Discover your approach angles, your clearance issues, and how crappy your factory lockers are.

You will not wheel any better in a lifted truck than a non-lifted truck. You will just discover bigger stuff to get stuck on.

Have fun. And bring your wallet.

Tim

Red meat is not bad for you, its green fuzzy meat that's bad for you.

Synchro, Derwood, Wayne P and me - Team Newfie. No CFA's allowed.

April 30, 2007, 10:44 p.m.

:lol: i laugh every time i see the bullet holes in the signs on burke

there also used to be a beer can tree on sawblade couple years ago, but it's long gone now

There are holes in a sign on Eagle too.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

April 30, 2007, 10:50 p.m.

There are holes in a sign on Eagle too.

i would seriously love to drive my truck up lungbuster

April 30, 2007, 11:10 p.m.

it's not rocket science.