3D Printing?

May 21, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

Anyone here gotten into this? I ordered a printer and scanner this week. After a little practice, gonna try scanning broken kids toy parts to see how well I can repair, and avoid throwing into the waste stream.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 21, 2016, 11:09 a.m.

Anyone here gotten into this? I ordered a printer and scanner this week. After a little practice, gonna try scanning broken kids toy parts to see how well I can repair, and avoid throwing into the waste stream.

I detect a flaw in your plan :)

May 21, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

1. Scan broken bits
2. knit together in model space
3. print
4. Profit??

May 21, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

I've played around with our MakerBots at work. Be prepared to make some waste the first few times until you dial in the print settings. When things go wrong, it's quite spectacular what can happen with melted filament spraying about.

We don't have a 3D scanner, our MEs design everything they print, it's fantastic for prototyping before handing a design over to the fab shop.

May 21, 2016, 4:20 p.m.

I have a few printable gun file if you want.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

May 21, 2016, 10:52 p.m.

I have a colleague who does a lot of printing of various types of items. It took him a couple full days to assemble the unit.

The hardest part of printing is getting the material to be the correct consistency. He buys the material online and then works out the correct temperature via various tests.

It's pretty interesting. He printed a silver coin that looked like real currency.

Most of what he prints are parts for a lunar rover that he's entering in the Google Xprize competition.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 21, 2016, 11:05 p.m.

Is that friend from Plan B? Are they even close?

May 21, 2016, 11:07 p.m.

Also this would be amazing to own: https://markforged.com/product/mark-two-industrial-strength-3d-printer/
Carbon fiber reinforced parts

May 21, 2016, 11:36 p.m.

Yes.

They have a lot of the stuff done. Working on long distance communications. It's amazing what they are able to do with a few milliwatts over Bluetooth.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 22, 2016, 1:33 a.m.

Buddy ordered a 3d printer and it came in a million parts…..1 year later and he is still trying to get it online.

May 22, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

Buddy ordered a 3d printer and it came in a million parts…..1 year later and he is still trying to get it online.

Sounds like your friend got one of the 3d printer kits that you have to assemble the printer yourself. This is a bad choice for beginners. Calibration alone for these things sucks at the best of times.

If you have the cash I would go for a LulzBot Taz mini or Taz 6.

It has the self leveling hotbed, self cleaning heads and very compatible with different filaments. Calibration is very easy and a few hours out of the box you can be printing some of the demo's.

https://www.sparkfun.com is the retailer that I purchased from online.

May 22, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

^^^

Agreed. I spent over a month researching models, pretty much decided on the taz 5. Then got wind that the taz 6 was due for release on May 17 so waited a bit for that.

Ordered from printyourmind3d.ca, based in Calgary. They seem to be the only Canadian supplier stocking them.

May 22, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

I have had a makerbot for 3 years. Its addicting but the fail rate and maintenance are quite high as well. The products get better and better every month. I have never tried a scanner. Its not a click, click, and be happy art. You have to mechanically inclined to problem solve and tune the machine and have lots of patience.

Currently printing a oil bottle holder for my bike stand that I designed.

Its a great hobby to keep you busy in the evenings and winter.

May 22, 2016, 1:38 p.m.

Why not just print a printer?

But, srysly, is it cost effective to print stuff - how much do the substrates cost, or does it vary wildly?

May 22, 2016, 2:21 p.m.

Why not just print a printer?

People actually do that, but since I lack the starting point I have to get one to seed the others.

But, srysly, is it cost effective to print stuff - how much do the substrates cost, or does it vary wildly?

Basic PLA and ABS is about $25-40 per kg, and there are lots of more expensive materials to print with. To print something like this Han Solo iPhone case takes 30 grams of material - so materials cost about 75 cents to a dollar to print something that size.