33 dead in school shooting.

April 17, 2007, 12:07 a.m.

well yes i understand what you are saying. But I mean you know the whole manifest destiny type crap.

But again, what society hasn't had elements of that in it's history?

April 17, 2007, 12:18 a.m.

Sick and horrifying.

I know this is knee jerk, and simplistic, but whenever I see another shooting like this in the Sates, I can't help but think to myself that "The Right to Bear Arms" is indeed the very worse of any right a free and democratic society can offer it's citizens.

I know, I know, I know…we have had similar tragedies in Canada. I know. What is stopping any one in Canada going out and getting a gun, and doing the same thing. I know. You don't need a gun to kill someone. I know.

I know all these things are true and realistic. But, for whatever reason, the US has this gun culture that, year after year, seems to be getting more and more out of control. Watch…the overwhelming reaction down there won't be to clamp down on gun control, rather, you'll see a dramatic increase in sales of handguns, under the misguided belief that "I need one too, to protect myself."

Sort of like giving kids candy, and telling them not to eat it.

Giving the common citizen the right to buy firearms- without proper training or at least licencing- is pure idiocy.

Yes, this happens in other countries. We have Islamic militants in Russia taking schools / movie theaters hostage and killing at will. I know. This isn't segregated to the US.

But, it seems that a staggering number of these types of incidents are happening in the US, and most seem to be non-political. That's what is frightening, above all else. In the US, they have a real cultural problem with killing one another that seems to have nothing to do w/ politics, and everything to do with misguidance. It seems that the overwhelming opinion down there seems to be that going down to the "Rod N' Gun" shop, picking up a .45, and killing your problem is the way to go.

Some may agree, some may not, and I fully expect to be flamed at some point for expressing this opinion. I already got into it / a colleague in Seattle. Great guy, and very close w/ my familly, but he's a true blue Republican, and to a person they seem to only view things the Republican way.

This makes me sick to my stomach.

That's all for me. Rant over.

~Saddened and pissed for the innocent lives lost.

The shooter was not an american citizen- the right to bear arms was never his in the first place.
The guns he used had the serial numbers filed off- they were certainly not purchased legally.

650 Racing: Poppin' our collars, tossin' up dollars.

April 17, 2007, 12:33 a.m.

The shooter was not an american citizen- the right to bear arms was never his in the first place.
The guns he used had the serial numbers filed off- they were certainly not purchased legally.

Which is still not an argument against tougher gun legislation.

Thank god the US has killed all those muslims so that there's no terrorism anymore.

This space intentionally left blank.

April 17, 2007, 12:35 a.m.

I just got home from afternoon shift and really have not read much about what happened. Where was this guy from?

April 17, 2007, 12:52 a.m.

1994 - Gun Deaths per 100,000 people:
USA: 14.24
Canada: 4.31

Looks like a huge difference until you look at the fact that this is out of 100,000
USA [HTML_REMOVED]#37; of gun deaths out of 100,000: .01424%
Canada "" : .00431%

This is a difference of .0093%. A small difference.

http://www.guncite.com/cnngunde.html

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

April 17, 2007, 12:56 a.m.

Looks like a huge difference until you look at the fact that this is out of 100,000

your parents are gonna be PISSED when they see your report card

turn off sigs…it will change your life

April 17, 2007, 12:57 a.m.

i think you got those percentages wrong

April 17, 2007, 1:03 a.m.

oh so i forgot to type a 9. sorry, i am morbidly obese and my fat fingers have a hard time on this spooge-encrusted keyboard of mine.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

April 17, 2007, 1:16 a.m.

oh so i forgot to type a 9. sorry, i am morbidly obese and my fat fingers have a hard time on this spooge-encrusted keyboard of mine.

Er… no matter what units you put it in, the US still has 330% of the shootings that canada does with those numbers.

This space intentionally left blank.

April 17, 2007, 5:04 a.m.

people should be free to do what they please. We dont need big brother looking out after us. the police cant do their job so citizens should have the right to be armed.

not anyone can just go out and grab a gun by the way. Federal background checks, over 21 for a handgun, and some states require training.

if the gov. restricts gun purchases the only people with guns will be criminals. And how can we expect the authorities to protect every citizen?
everyone needs to have the right to protect their person and their family.

im not saying this should be the wild wild west again. i just believe an armed society is a polite society. And i hate the idea of the government being used as a crutch by society. so just keep that in mind before you guys all go crazy about gun control. because that really isn't the argument here. mental health is the reason this happened.

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

April 17, 2007, 6:11 a.m.

people should be free to do what they please. We dont need big brother looking out after us. the police cant do their job so citizens should have the right to be armed.

not anyone can just go out and grab a gun by the way. Federal background checks, over 21 for a handgun, and some states require training.

if the gov. restricts gun purchases the only people with guns will be criminals. And how can we expect the authorities to protect every citizen?
everyone needs to have the right to protect their person and their family.

im not saying this should be the wild wild west again. i just believe an armed society is a polite society. And i hate the idea of the government being used as a crutch by society. so just keep that in mind before you guys all go crazy about gun control. because that really isn't the argument here. mental health is the reason this happened.

Every line you write is complete Republican bullshit and propaganda. The big difference between gun culture in the US and Canada IS that, yes, for the most part guns are only in the hands of criminals up here. It is very likely that most statistics for US and Canada show "criminals" don't commit most of the gun related crimes. They are committed by every-day citizens who get there hands on guns.

Was the nut job yesterday a criminal before he started killing people? The two nutters who shot up Columbine? The list goes on…

I'd like to pick apart your uneducated opinion bit-by-bit, but frankly I'm still too pissed about this, and about reading opinions like yours, to do this in a clear and concise manner.

Maybe somebody else has the fight in them.

BTW…the percentages shown above reflected a huge gap between the US and Canada. Do any search, and most show similar huge gaps between the USA and the rest of the industrialized world.

Many are older, late '90s, but the trend is the same. The trend and result scream out that the USA has a huge gun control problem. You can't solve this problem by putting more guns in the hands of average citizens…this is just complete backwards, illogical thinking.
http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNSTAT.html

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html#usa

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

April 17, 2007, 6:37 a.m.

Every line you write is complete Republican bullshit and propaganda.

And I despise you Left wing twaddle you quote the party line like some brainless moron the problem is not guns but people.People have been taught by the left that its not their fault they are screwed up, blame mom or dad or maybe their 3rd grade teacher but it's never their fault that they are drug addicts or homeless or whatever.Lack of Personal responsibility is the root cause of the problems that are being faced in the states and here,(if it's not your fault then somebody else must be causing your problems so shot them and the problem goes away)so instead of blaming guns and buying into the media hype honest thought would be a better idea I think.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

April 17, 2007, 6:48 a.m.

wether it is left or right-wing bs, the problem still is that people still have access to guns, people be it the average citizens or criminals will still use guns to kill, and people still do not have enough access to mental health support so that they might get help before they take that drastic step. And the even bigger problem that no one, government on any level or side, citizens on any level are willing to step up and change the status quo.

April 17, 2007, 6:53 a.m.

Anyone who knows me knows I am far from left wing. I lean mostly right on most issues.

The difference between me and it appears you is that I have an ability to think freely, outside of my political party lines.

Yes, all those things are the root, but you cannot deny the common and consistent problem and culture that in the United States, gun related deaths are WAY higher than anywhere else in the free world. It isn't even close.

Give sick peaple easy access to fire arms, and guess what happens? Statistic, and hard evidence like yesterday prove that- shocker- they USE THE GODDAMN GUN TO SHOOT OTHERS!

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

April 17, 2007, 6:58 a.m.

Calgary is in a state of alert right now after a thwarted school shooting planned in the south of the city last week.

I don't think it is fair to call this an american problem.