2018 - the year the world goes into the toilet?

Jan. 15, 2018, 5:49 p.m.

https://www.eurasiagroup.net/issues/top-risks-2018

For those not in the know the Eurasia Group is the world's largest political consultancy group. They publish a list of the top risks for the year ahead and this is it. Relevant to us in Vancouver is that China seems to be the #1 risk - maybe we'll see an even greater flood of affluent Chinese buying up our city and country while the politicians sit by and just let it happen.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 15, 2018, 5:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 15, 2018, 6:44 p.m.

I definitely think 2018 has that "a shitstorm's a brewing" feel to it, lots of uncertainty, which sucks cause things are going great for me and anything that deviates from the norm I now perceive as a threat to me being able to pay mah billz

Jan. 15, 2018, 11:45 p.m.

Chicken Little to the white phone please!

Jan. 16, 2018, 9:05 a.m.

Interesting.  I hadn't heard of this group before.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/eurasia-group/

Jan. 16, 2018, 9:19 a.m.

I gave up on predictions when Trump won, but I am not really that sure that China taking a bigger role and the US a smaller one is necessarily a bad thing for the world.

Jan. 16, 2018, 11:25 a.m.

"Have a little faith baby" - Oddball

Jan. 23, 2018, 10:09 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I gave up on predictions when Trump won, but I am not really that sure that China taking a bigger role and the US a smaller one is necessarily a bad thing for the world.

Hmmm.. a Commie/Capitalist country that's possibly using NK as a proxy over our long time neighbor?

I think your pinko undies are starting to show there bro....

Jan. 23, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Hmmm.. a Commie/Capitalist country that's possibly using NK as a proxy over our long time neighbor?

I am not a fan of communism, but this notion that China can spread it is just stupid.  They are looking for business opportunities, just like the US and keeping them under the western thumb is more dangerous for the long term.  For the west, I want to see a unified west gain influence over a US controlled west.  They have fucked up too many times to be the defacto leader.

Jan. 23, 2018, 1:07 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

I am not a fan of communism, but this notion that China can spread it is just stupid.  They are looking for business opportunities, just like the US and keeping them under the western thumb is more dangerous for the long term.  For the west, I want to see a unified west gain influence over a US controlled west.  They have fucked up too many times to be the defacto leader.

I only said the pinko bit b/c you mentioned you like Obama and his policies in another thread and that is borderline egregious. China doesnt have to spread Communism, they just have to spread it's own sphere of influence. As for business opportunity's, I didnt know island building and expanding territorial claims could be considered that without going trough the proper channel's (UN?). Let's leave the US foreign policy out of this as well if we were going to there. Did you hear China banned rap music?

Back to the thread, I see 2018 as one that should make the history books. Most notably, US politic's and the natural disaster's.

Jan. 23, 2018, 5:50 p.m.

Did you hear China banned rap music?

Best law ever enacted!