2018 Property Assement

Jan. 5, 2018, 11:14 a.m.

East Maple Ridge , up 17% this year , another nail in the coffin and a reason to head further north . Last 2 assessments have added $278K after years and little to no increase .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Last edited by: DemonMike on Jan. 5, 2018, 9:21 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 5, 2018, 1:21 p.m.

East Van, after a 26% (2017) and 22%( 2016) increase I was pleasantly surprised to see a measly 4% increase for 2018.  Just to be clear, these arent property tax assessments, but land and building value assessments.  Yes they play a role in how much property tax you pay, but is by no means a direct indicator of how much property tax you will be paying.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Jan. 5, 2018, 1:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 5, 2018, 1:51 p.m.

We'll start our own Vancouver... with blackjack and sunshine!

My townhouse (Squamish) went up 12% in Squamish.  More than I thought it would, but whatever.

Jan. 5, 2018, 2:57 p.m.

I am aware of it,s not how your property taxes are dictated , we already know it,s increasing 3.6% again for this area . Every year we have to keep increasing our monthly savings for the taxes and still end up paying extra out of pocket .

Jan. 5, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

I am aware of it,s not how your property taxes are dictated , we already know it,s increasing 3.6% again for this area . Every year we have to keep increasing our monthly savings for the taxes and still end up paying extra out of pocket .

I wasnt trying to nitpick, but the title of the thread was a bit misleading.  I was just trying to make sure we were all talking about the same thing.

Jan. 5, 2018, 6:47 p.m.

I just feel lucky to be a home owner in the GVA. The increases are crazy, but I remain wary of (& prepared for) a market correction. There are lots of folks getting in pretty deep. I try to not be one of them.

Thread killer

Jan. 5, 2018, 7:42 p.m.

I hope you all will take a minute to step back and do your best not to be dazzled by your net worth.

Yes I know this is falling on deaf ears, but this is the end of a good thing.

Allowing foreign interests to treat our housing stock as speculative investments is worse than Trudeau and Harper combined.  Unfortunately, most of you won't recognize this until well after your grandchildren are living in very far-away places and you're lamenting your isolation.

So, in short, fuck you all.

Love,
R.

Jan. 5, 2018, 8:10 p.m.

Before you state anything of the sort about foreigners not being a major factor in our situation, please take a moment to go about two feet further.

If there was no impact to global speculation on local housing stocks, there would be zero impact on not allowing non-residents purchasing our housing stock.  We could learn from lesson from abroad.

OR

Our elected representatives who make the most money from property developers enact policy to benefit those very people.

Again, as someone with foresight, fuck you all and your love of cheap, disposable Chinese crap that placates your shortcomings.

For the Kiwi's here.

http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/mortgages-real-estate/foreigners-are-banned-from-buying-property-in-new-zealand-canada-should-do-the-same

From everything I see, they get it.  Where am I wrong?

R.

Jan. 5, 2018, 9:21 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: DemonMike

I wasnt trying to nitpick, but the title of the thread was a bit misleading.  I was just trying to make sure we were all talking about the same thing.

gotcha , I took out tax , no idea why I added it LO

Jan. 5, 2018, 9:43 p.m.

I'm up 60% from two years ago, and there are a lot with very high assessment hikes.

Actual taxes are up a fair bit more than the annual increase for the district.

Since the district is supposed to be taking in very little extra from all taxes, I'd like to know who is paying less than two years ago.

Last edited by: switch on Jan. 5, 2018, 9:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 6, 2018, 9:47 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Before you state anything of the sort about foreigners not being a major factor in our situation, please take a moment to go about two feet further.

If there was no impact to global speculation on local housing stocks, there would be zero impact on not allowing non-residents purchasing our housing stock.  We could learn from lesson from abroad.

OR

Our elected representatives who make the most money from property developers enact policy to benefit those very people.

Again, as someone with foresight, fuck you all and your love of cheap, disposable Chinese crap that placates your shortcomings.

For the Kiwi's here.

http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/mortgages-real-estate/foreigners-are-banned-from-buying-property-in-new-zealand-canada-should-do-the-same

From everything I see, they get it.  Where am I wrong?

R.

you can't buy RE in Bali unless you have an Indonesian passport ... they get it too

Jan. 6, 2018, 9:52 a.m.

Posted by: switch

I'm up 60% from two years ago, and there are a lot with very high assessment hikes.

Actual taxes are up a fair bit more than the annual increase for the district.

Since the district is supposed to be taking in very little extra from all taxes, I'd like to know who is paying less than two years ago.

I think there is a lot of aging infrastructure out there that needs to be replaced, its a common problem in NA, 12 kms west in the village of telkwa developers can't build a housing development cuz they don't have an adequate water system and taxes are high cuz they got no commercial tax base, i think my taxes will be higher than last year which were higher than the year before but maybe 4-5% they will be <2500$

Jan. 6, 2018, 5:33 p.m.

My house in west van is actually down 1% 2017 vs 2016 in the assessment, but up down sideways, who cares, it’s not real.

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">First off, the assessment date was 6 mos ago. A lot changes in both directions in 6 mos as we have seen. Second, until the City provides an assessment with a “sell it now” option, it’s just an opinion of what the house would have been worth considering their opinion of what all the other houses are worth. Buyers opinion is the only opinion that matters. </span>

Until you sign to sell your house its irrelevant. 

Use your house as an ATM and withdrawal as you wish via a home equity line at your own risk!!!!

Jan. 7, 2018, 12:01 p.m.

if yer ^^ down its probably because  the value is so fucking high !!

Jan. 8, 2018, 10:10 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I hope you all will take a minute to step back and do your best not to be dazzled by your net worth.

Yes I know this is falling on deaf ears, but this is the end of a good thing.

Allowing foreign interests to treat our housing stock as speculative investments is worse than Trudeau and Harper combined.  Unfortunately, most of you won't recognize this until well after your grandchildren are living in very far-away places and you're lamenting your isolation.

So, in short, fuck you all.

Love,
R.

LOL.  I am not sure any of us are reveling in our good fortune, but thanks for the tip.  I feel the value of my townhouse is extremely vulnerable however, I don't hang out with Sauron on the weekends, or whatever it is you do to maintain your sunny outlook on life so I think you are wrong about the future of the Lower Mainland (although admittedly, for other pessimistic reasons).  Climate change is the real deal and there are going to be fewer and fewer places to live in the world that one could consider desirable.  The PNW is one of those places considered to be a potential refuge and I wouldn't be surprised if that plays a small role in the foreign investment here.