2016 Olympics thread!

Aug. 15, 2016, 12:09 p.m.

Lane 8 is easiest to run? Since when? Just because it has the least amount of curvature, doesn't make it the 'easiest'.

Physically, it's easiest, which is what I said.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 15, 2016, 8:21 p.m.

Sad reading the bull shit Gabrielle Douglas is dealing with for the second Olympics. It's gone from black people bitching about her hair to breast implants, didn't stand for the national anthem right. I believe this will be what makes her retire from gymnastics not aging out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-agymnastics-douglas-bull-idUSKCN10P0M6

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 15, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

Holy shit Canada's men's indoor team beat Italy to qualify I believe quarter finals.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 15, 2016, 10:35 p.m.

Holy shit Canada's men's indoor team beat Italy to qualify I believe quarter finals.

This is huge. France must be pissed. Italy had Zaytsev playing LS because they had to move
Antonov to the middle. Not sure what happened to the other mids. But definitely not the lineup that they played for the other four matches.

Aug. 16, 2016, 7:11 a.m.

Sad reading the bull shit Gabrielle Douglas is dealing with for the second Olympics. It's gone from black people bitching about her hair to breast implants, didn't stand for the national anthem right. I believe this will be what makes her retire from gymnastics not aging out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-agymnastics-douglas-bull-idUSKCN10P0M6

Another case of being bullied on twitter…. Quit twitter. Oh wait have to be on there, ego and all.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 16, 2016, 10:01 a.m.

Georgia Simmerling on our women's pursuit team is a cool story. Alpine skiing in 2010, ski cross in 2014 and track cycling in 2016. She's only been riding a track bike for 2 years. Apparently, rowing was her first choice for a summer sport, but there was too much conflict with her ski training, so she switched to cycling

So Georgia is picking a sport based on olympic medal, not for for genuine love of the discipline. A means to an end, to get that badge of honour, and then move on after the olympics. Meanwhile, some track cyclists who've been doing it for years and will keep doing it after Rio, aren't there. I get it, best qualifiers should be there, but I can't really cheer for this approach to sport. It's really not unlike riding trails for Strava KOM's…

NSMBA member.

Aug. 16, 2016, 12:09 p.m.

Another case of being bullied on twitter…. Quit twitter. Oh wait have to be on there, ego and all.

Easy to say. But since most here are insulated from it 50-75% of the problem she faces with this has nothing to do with Twitter. It s a culture thing specific to Blacks, while we see the US part play out at the Olympics. Believe me it happens just the same here in Canada. When it comes to hair blacks are so obsessed with it.

I deal with it every time my daughter sees her Granny or hear it from some of the female in laws. a year ago ripped into my wifes Cousin in law who pulled that shit at the dinner table.

First fucking comments are negative towards her hair. And this bull shit plays out daily. So Gabby Douglas could avoid Twitter all she wants she will get it from her own community. Sure she could avoid Twitter but simply removes the problem from plain sight which upsets people.

Sorry, avoiding Twitter is a short term solution to the problem. But does nothing to address it but hey we all feel good right?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 16, 2016, 1:11 p.m.

Maybe you should start your own thread on how blacks are treated in America.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 16, 2016, 3:05 p.m.

Jason Kenny - makes it look so easy.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Aug. 16, 2016, 9:33 p.m.

Yay…….

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 17, 2016, 2:30 p.m.

LOL at the current medal count table by national broadcaster:

Canada 12th on CBC
Canada 18th on BBC

GBR 3rd on CBC
GBR 2nd on BBC

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

What really counts? The total number of winner medals or the number of loser medals you also accumulate?

[HTML_REMOVED]#128521;

Aug. 17, 2016, 2:46 p.m.

Either total medal count or number of gold medals.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Aug. 17, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

LOL at the current medal count table by national broadcaster:

Canada 12th on CBC
Canada 18th on BBC

GBR 3rd on CBC
GBR 2nd on BBC

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

What really counts? The total number of winner medals or the number of loser medals you also accumulate?

😉

Yeah, but if you go on per capita basis (the US has 9X the population of Canada), the US would have to have won 123 medals to match Canada's medal-winning performance. The US currently has only won 93 medals.

Per-capita medal tables are all the rage in New Zealand:

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Aug. 17, 2016, 8:09 p.m.

Yeah, but if you go on per capita basis (the US has 9X the population of Canada), the US would have to have won 123 medals to match Canada's medal-winning performance. The US currently has only won 93 medals.

Per-capita medal tables are all the rage in New Zealand:

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

besides population, the other thing that hurts Canada is population distribution. overall our population is fairly spread out and imo that has an impact on our ability to produce a higher number of high quality athletes even though we are a fairly affluent nation. britain is a good example of the opposit of this; their population is about double that of Canada's but crammed into an area about 1/4 the size of bc. another way to look at it is per square kilometer. bc would need to have a population of about 256 million to equal the population density of britain.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 17, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

Jamaica picked up a lot of golds. That chart needs updating.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells