2016 F1 thread.

Oct. 22, 2016, 10:25 p.m.

Yes, overall the coverage is very good. I don't care for Johnny Herbert or Anthony Davidson, but the rest of the crew are good. Like all the extra coverage on TSN such as track parade, pre [HTML_REMOVED] post race paddock etc.

Thread killer

Oct. 29, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

Hamilton looks focused.
Rosberg appears to have pulled a rabbit out of a hat on that last lap of qualifying.

Oct. 29, 2016, 10:05 p.m.

I think Hamilton has more natural talent than Rosberg does. Nico has to work harder for it. That said, I would really like Nico to win the title this year.
Where did that 5th place qualy from Hulkenberg come from? Dude is killing it. Crowd would have loved his team mate up there with him.

Thread killer

Oct. 31, 2016, 1:07 p.m.

lol max verstappen
:rawr:

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 31, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

Oh, and lol Vettel too apparently.
:rawr::rawr:

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 31, 2016, 3:25 p.m.

The FIA has got to get these rules straight. Why punish one driver but not the other? There were a few places where a driver should have/ could have been penalized in the Mexican GP. First lap alone had Hamilton [HTML_REMOVED] Rosberg both going off [HTML_REMOVED] not suffering. Verstappen should have been made to give that place back to Vettel. That would have avoided Seb's coming together with Ricciardo. I don't think Seb should have been penalized for that incident. There has been much worse happen so far this year that has went unpenalized. Massa's second to last race coming up at home. They should do something special for him.

Thread killer

Nov. 1, 2016, 3:28 p.m.

Anyone follow Formula E? A couple of ex F1 guys in there. Kind of the way of the future. Take that Middle East(and Texard [HTML_REMOVED] Albertard.)

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 2, 2016, 8:46 a.m.

The FIA has got to get these rules straight. Why punish one driver but not the other? There were a few places where a driver should have/ could have been penalized in the Mexican GP. First lap alone had Hamilton [HTML_REMOVED] Rosberg both going off [HTML_REMOVED] not suffering. Verstappen should have been made to give that place back to Vettel. That would have avoided Seb's coming together with Ricciardo. I don't think Seb should have been penalized for that incident. There has been much worse happen so far this year that has went unpenalized. Massa's second to last race coming up at home. They should do something special for him.

They changed the rules before Austin due to all the BS Verstappen and a few others were pulling with the crazy blocking. Seb was one of the most vocal to get the rules defined and the penalties defined. He was caught napping, or swearing at Charlie, and tried to cover it very , very late. He deserved it for sure. If he had not blocked, Ricciado may have gone deep anyway and he could have cut back inside on exit.

Yes, Verstappen should have been made to give the place back straight away but you could look back every year to a couple of situations where that type of thing has happened and they all got a penalty after the race. Seb should have kept his cool and held off Ricciardo.

Hamilton's was less challenged so not entirely surprised he got away with that.

Nov. 3, 2016, 9:25 a.m.

ahem . . . like I called it.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37860557
A Canadian in F1 next year.

Nov. 3, 2016, 3:02 p.m.

Cool. His dad's a BILLIONAIRE? Jesus, I guess 95% of the guys on the grid come from money. I mean, kids' karting as a hobby isn't exactly for the middle class I imagine. Or maybe I'm wrong?
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 10, 2016, 2:01 p.m.

Anyone follow Formula E? A couple of ex F1 guys in there. Kind of the way of the future. Take that Middle East(and Texard [HTML_REMOVED] Albertard.)

I do, even got to watch the Long Beach ePrix the first year. Genuinely entertaining, and that is the growth opportunity for the FIA if they manage it well.

Passing is still hard (basically once they're in top gear, the drag and max power draw functions as a soft limiter).

What I do want to see with Formula E is a longer race format, where you have to finish in the car you started in, with a 30% longer race. Two pit stops, battery recharging technology ends up in the fore, and there would be a LOT more strategic diversity (push hard early until the tires get over temperature, then run consistently from the front in clean air for two stints // go deep in the first run and be overtaking with some stretches of clean track // middle of the road optimal using power and pace to overtake those on strategy 1 without getting caught out and overtaken by the ones on strat 2)

Nov. 10, 2016, 9:58 p.m.

Why don't you start a thread about Formula E if you wanna talk about it? This thread is about Formula 1, the best cars [HTML_REMOVED] drivers on the planet. The drivers in Formula E are not the best drivers, that's why they are there.

Thread killer

Nov. 11, 2016, 4:15 p.m.

FP2 - nothing to choose between Hamilton and Rosberg

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t[HTML_REMOVED]rct=j[HTML_REMOVED]q=[HTML_REMOVED]esrc=s[HTML_REMOVED]source=web[HTML_REMOVED]cd=1[HTML_REMOVED]ved=0ahUKEwim9fLG96HQAhWh7YMKHaDUA_cQqQIIHDAA[HTML_REMOVED]url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.formula1.com%2Fen%2Flatest%2Fheadlines%2F2016%2F11%2Ffp2---nothing-to-choose-between-hamilton-and-rosberg.html[HTML_REMOVED]usg=AFQjCNEdYu93JFV-qw08Tx8e0NBC2cMC-Q[HTML_REMOVED]bvm=bv.138169073,d.amc

Nov. 12, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

Why don't you start a thread about Formula E if you wanna talk about it? This thread is about Formula 1, the best cars [HTML_REMOVED] drivers on the planet. The drivers in Formula E are not the best drivers, that's why they are there.

Put Lucas di Grassi in a Le Mans prototype and he's fast, though the reference point for that is Nico Hulkenberg's unprecedented success in the third 919. There's not that much in it at the top level, and if Formula 1 ever fins itself being more fuel economy limited, it might become a viable feeder series, instead of a pasture for drivers with either a bit less skill, or in the case of the top guys, no eight figure backers to buy them a seat in a mid pack team.

This next year is likely to be all about who the better engineering interfacing drivers are with the new tires and aero package. That puts Seb and both Nicos in better positions than they would be otherwise, but leaves me worrying for outfits like Williams [nothing against Valtteri, but his strengths as a driver are elsewhere]. Adrian Newey's participation will make Red Bull a real contender, so that's why in my mind the teams that will benefit most with the 2017 changes are Mercedes, Renault, Red Bull, and to a lesser extent Ferrari

Nov. 13, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

The best drivers on the planet (by miles) are in rallying. Always have been. Put Ogier in a Mercades with zero prior tests and he'd be what, a second or so off? Put Hamilton in a WRC and ask him to try and finish within a minute of Ogier over a rally and he would probably die.

Formula E is the future as are electric road cars. That's why VAG got into Formula E and not F1 after leaving WEC. Average age for an F1 fan is nearly 50 the last time I heard. The FIA needs to attract a younger audience and loud, partially combustion engined F1 cars are seen by young people as being less advanced than a Tesla!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman