2016 F1 thread.

Nov. 27, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

lol Hamilton driving slow. Not much of a teammate.

He's a dick. Livin' it up when he wins [HTML_REMOVED] a big baby when he loses. No class.

The turning point of the race for me was when Nico passed Verstappen. Once he got by without incident, the title was pretty much his. He must have been pretty nervous and wondering if Max was gonna pull one of his controversial moves while he was passing him.

Thread killer

Nov. 28, 2016, 1:59 p.m.

lol Hamilton driving slow. Not much of a teammate.

Lol, so what would you do in that exact situation?

(Bearing in mind that Mercedes constantly remind us that both drivers have equal status [HTML_REMOVED]unlike Ferrari[HTML_REMOVED], AND they've already wrapped up both Championships….)

Nov. 28, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

from his twitter account.
A tribute to his parents.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t[HTML_REMOVED]rct=j[HTML_REMOVED]q=[HTML_REMOVED]esrc=s[HTML_REMOVED]source=web[HTML_REMOVED]cd=1[HTML_REMOVED]ved=0ahUKEwiH4bzH0szQAhUE_IMKHU55AbQQqQIIHjAA[HTML_REMOVED]url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsport%2Fformulaone%2Farticle-3976282%2FNico-Rosberg-thanks-parents-F1-world-championship-victory-releases-video-early-laps-kart-child-aided-father-Keke.html[HTML_REMOVED]usg=AFQjCNEAD9nCP6bHTQyJ-EMu31md5YGz4Q

Nov. 28, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

Super happy that Nico got the title. He is not my favourite driver but much more deserving of the title in my view and also (I believe) had the most race wins ever without having won a title. So it was overdue.

Again Verstappen showed how good he is by managing to keep the pace up double the distance anyone else could on the super soft tires.

I did not have a huge issue with Hamilton's tactics but his ignoring the team and BS in the press conf / subsequent interviews are what really highlight what a knob he is.

He kept referring to reliability being the reason that he wasn't champion… Well sunshine, if you had showed up to the first 4 races, and actually bothered to learn what the knobs on the steering wheel do (in Azerbaijan) you may have had enough points to win, even with the reliability issues.

Previously it has been Nico with the reliability issues and while he had a pretty good run this year he also beat Lewis fair and square early in the season and dealt with his own engine mode issue much more quickly.

Lewis won 10, but was very, very lucky to take the win in Monaco. With out that it would have been 9 wins each.

Nov. 28, 2016, 4:38 p.m.

Lol, so what would you do in that exact situation?

I would do what ever other driver would do, and that is to do what the team asked.

I hope Mercedes suspends and fines him.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 28, 2016, 6:25 p.m.

Ricciardo would have taken that Monaco win by about 7 seconds if his team hadn't of screwed up.
I think Nico's consistency counts for something. He was red hot at the end of last season [HTML_REMOVED] carried it into the beginning of this season.
People are hinting that Red Bull will be closer to the Merc's pace next year. We will see. Lots of changes happening.

Thread killer

Nov. 28, 2016, 6:33 p.m.

I would do what ever other driver would do, and that is to do what the team asked.

Yep, just like Senna or Schumacher would have done!
It may not be pretty but it takes a ruthless determination to get to the top of any sport. You won't succeed by rolling over to the frankly ludicrous request that Paddy made or Nico embarrassingly pleaded for.
Nico should have grown a pair and attacked Lewis to prove he's a deserving World Champ ;-)

I hope Mercedes suspends and fines him.

I bet he's quaking in his boots….

BTW: I love Hamilton as a driver but he can be a miserable bastard during interviews. I switched off and went back to sleep after Nico finished his start line doughnuts….

I also chuckled to Vettels comment about "dirty tricks" like he wouldn't have done the exact same thing (not that he'd need to with his #1 status at Ferrari)

Nov. 29, 2016, 1:15 p.m.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/readers-theories-the-finale-of-the-rosberghamilton-saga/

Some interesting opinions.

Thread killer

Nov. 29, 2016, 2:50 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks Abu Dhabi was the third time RBR totally missed on the strategy call for Ricciardo? Throwing away the whole strategic advantage to 'maybe' undercut Kimi was a poor idea, and Max did demonstrate how good the RB-X was on the prime tire, so I'm filing that away as another poor strategy call that realistically cost him a podium.

Ricciardo was the only driver more consistent than Rosberg, and I'd put Checo and Grosjean into the running for impressive drives over the year - but Nico put it all together, drove clean races from whichever position he was in (except Austria), and even the bad races (Monaco) still put together a points finish.
I still think the Haas/Grosjean run in the first few races was phenomenal for the sport, and Force India is still my favorite team particularly after conclusively demonstrating that they could build a faster car than the rest of the pack on half the budget is just amazing.
To me the real questions of next year is if Mercedes can build too big an advantage in pre-season testing, or if RBR can stay in touch then it'll be down to whether Daniel or Max can get a better handle on the new cars - looking forward to even the possibility of those two fighting it out for wins if they can snooker Mercedes on strategy.

Dec. 2, 2016, 5:28 a.m.

Wow !
Nico retires !

Dec. 2, 2016, 9:27 a.m.

Yeah, that just blew the whole driver market wide open.

Wonder if the delay is so that they can see of Werhlien can make the cut, or just because they'll have their choice of anybody they want.

Dec. 6, 2016, 3:34 p.m.

Everyone's talking about who would be a good replacement for Nico.
The list goes on and on.
Toto said he has been contacted by at least half the field of current of F1 drivers.

I haven't read it yet, but would be interested to hear Rosberg's opinion.

Dec. 6, 2016, 3:57 p.m.

Everyone's talking about who would be a good replacement for Nico.
The list goes on and on.
Toto said he has been contacted by at least half the field of current of F1 drivers.

I haven't read it yet, but would be interested to hear Rosberg's opinion.

not sure what Daniel ricciardo's contract is with redbull but… Merc would do well stealing him. although he may not want to be on a team with Hamilton.

Dec. 6, 2016, 8:24 p.m.

I can't see Red Bull letting either of their drivers go. They have 2 of the best.

I would make a guess at a few drivers who did not contact Toto were Kimi, Fernando [HTML_REMOVED] Seb.

The question may be do they want a driver who can challenge Lewis, or do they want a #2 driver?

Does the new driver really want to deal with a head case as a team mate?

Thread killer

Dec. 12, 2016, 10:15 p.m.

The question may be do they want a driver who can challenge Lewis, or do they want a #2 driver?

Does the new driver really want to deal with a head case as a team mate?

Mercedes was bold enough to let them race, and continued to do so despite Spain and Austria this year - I think they'll be content to try and put two very good drivers in there to where they maximize the number of instances where at least one of their drivers will be untouchable for the whole race weekend, barring a mechanical.

I don't there is an F1 driver around who would turn down having a teammate they potentially take issue with (again, the teammate is the biggest opponent) in order to have a seat in the fastest car of the season.

RB-11 will be the closest car, as the 2017 formula will probably be an aero efficiency formula instead of power like 2014. Daniel and Max will likely be quite content, although I wouldn't rule out a Verstappen contract buyout. Mercedes picking up Vandoorne would also be surprisingly logical, as would picking up Checo from Force India (although if Ferrari has a tough year, he'll be faster in the Force India than Vettel or Kimi).