2014 World Cup Thread

July 8, 2014, 2:51 p.m.

That was definitely NOT what I expected ….holy moly. Sooo…Argentina or Team Oranje….we'll see.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 8, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

This might be a bad time to be wondering the streets of Rio in a German colours.

July 8, 2014, 3:29 p.m.

Might also be a bad time to wander the streets of Rio as a Brazilian team member!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 8, 2014, 3:29 p.m.

well , there are lots of brazilians of german descent .

not what anyone expected , and even though i did switch to germany after my team went out , i would rather have had an exciting right to the finish game to watch .

some of those fans bawling their eyes out . . . sure it is great to be passionate about your team and the game , but . . .

so will the brazilians get behind germany , or their south american neighbor ?

July 8, 2014, 3:45 p.m.

Im pretty sure most Brazilians would rather see any team win over Argentina.

July 8, 2014, 3:53 p.m.

July 8, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

That was definitely NOT what I expected ….holy moly. Sooo…Argentina or Team Oranje….we'll see.

Who do you want to see in the final?

Van Persie has been off. If he can get well and Schneider has a good game, they will be much more of an offensive threat than the Brazilians.

Argentina's strikers have not done well, except for a decent game by Higuain last match. Makes for too much reliance on Messi.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 8, 2014, 4:12 p.m.

Just want to see Robben and his diving/whining act gone. Saw enough of his act with Bayern.

He's a great player, he doesn't need to dive.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 8, 2014, 4:33 p.m.

so will the brazilians get behind germany , or their south american neighbor ?

Pretty fierce rivalry between Brazil and Argentina, so I don't see many of them making that jump.

That said, for a bandwagoner like me, go Argentina. My German co workers are far to happy with themselves right now. Need to knock em back down a peg in the final

July 8, 2014, 7:45 p.m.

Holland seem to have lost their edge, starting off with a bang and then fizzling out, finally needing penalty kicks to beat Costa Rica. Argentina has improved (from a mediocre start) with each game, but I don't think they are improved enough to beat De Dutch, especially with Dimaria out of the lineup. Germany have been looking like a juggernaut, controlling play the entire length of the pitch.

July 8, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

Germany will have an extra day of rest, which is an advantage.

If Van Persie and De Jong are fit and on, the Dutch can win.

Argentina has to really gel. Di Maria being out of the lineup will hurt.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 9, 2014, 5:56 a.m.

Who do you want to see in the final?

Van Persie has been off. If he can get well and Schneider has a good game, they will be much more of an offensive threat than the Brazilians.

Argentina's strikers have not done well, except for a decent game by Higuain last match. Makes for too much reliance on Messi.

I honestly do not know - for me, Argentina ahs still a kind of flair, a magic - similar to the one of Brazil before yesterday's match, if you know what I mean.

Holland, well, my parents in law live near the border in the outskirts of Aachen, and it would be definitely "special" and odd. Missus and me think of going to Aachen for the finals.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 9, 2014, 11:17 a.m.

Who do you think would be the best opponent?

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

July 9, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

yeaaaaaah, I don't see many Brazilian supporting Argentina… ;)

July 9, 2014, 3:18 p.m.

Argh, just don't go to penalties please. Ned will win if it goes to penalties.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk