2014 World Cup Thread

June 27, 2014, 9:05 p.m.

FIFA sure took a bite out of Uruguay's World Cup prospects …

It wasn't a deliberate foul (contact was almost certainly incidental) but its still a foul. The rules say that physical contact on a challenge is permitted but is ruled an offence "only when an opponent is adversely affected". You can make an attempt to take the ball away from an opponent by however means you want, but you can't physically alter the attempted movement of your opponent while doing so.

Apologies, but having refereed for 10 years, there is no way thats a foul.

June 27, 2014, 9:46 p.m.

I don't see a foul. Is there a different angle that shows contact?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 27, 2014, 10:42 p.m.

June 27, 2014, 11:15 p.m.

So countries like Spain, Japan, Italy, Ghana, and Portugal are strong teams but among the lowest on the list and they are all out.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 27, 2014, 11:38 p.m.

Yeah I don't get it.

Looks like the Americas are pussies. And the English spending more time on the ground than the Italians:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 27, 2014, 11:52 p.m.

I don't see a foul. Is there a different angle that shows contact?

From the slomo below, the defender obstructs Samaras' kicking motion by inserting his leg. Hence a trip I would think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnxO-rtj25E

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 28, 2014, 12:05 a.m.

Good angle. That's a foul.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 28, 2014, 12:43 a.m.

From the slomo below, the defender obstructs Samaras' kicking motion by inserting his leg. Hence a trip I would think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnxO-rtj25E

Good angle. That's a foul.

Still not a foul. Again, having refereed for a long time, thats still a poor decision.

June 28, 2014, 1:06 a.m.

Samaras was impeaded in taking a clear shot on goal. It was done by the defender clipping him when the defender was not playing the ball and Samaras was about to shoot. This was illegal contact that wasn't intentional nor extraordinary, but it did provide the defender an unfair advantage. As such, it is a foul.

This is like a shot that goes off a defenders arm in the box. The defender may not have attempted to impede the ball with their arm, but they did and it gives them an unfair advantage.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 28, 2014, 9:12 a.m.

switch , i'd suggest it was intentional or at the very least done with the intention of preventing samaras' good clean strike at the ball .

either way : foul .

i watched it live , and in the game replay it looked like the guy tripped on his own foot .

rain', with all due respect . . . this was soccer you were reffing :lol: and not hockey ?

June 28, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

switch , i'd suggest it was intentional or at the very least done with the intention of preventing samaras' good clean strike at the ball .

Intent doesn't matter. The CI player was not challenging for the ball and his action "adversely and unfairly affected" his opponent. So its a foul. Its in the rulebook.

June 28, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

Chile lost to Brazil today, but played what was surely one of their best games of the World cup. Hats off to Chile.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

June 28, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

That was a close one alright. I hate when it goes to penalties. Chile should be proud about coming so close to slaying the hosts. The Uruguayans will be slaying Suarez now. Surely they could have used him vs. Colombia.

Thread killer

June 29, 2014, 11:12 a.m.

That was a squeaker for the Dutch!!

WTF, Over?

June 29, 2014, 11:21 a.m.

Dutch looked slow and tired. It was 38 C and humid. Mexico dominated the game, but couldn't put the Dutch away.