2014 World Cup Thread

June 24, 2014, 8:58 p.m.

Twitter is teh funneez.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/who-can-resist-italian-subs-other-twitter-reaction-to-suarez-bite/

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Suarez?src=tren

https://twitter.com/hashtag/soccerbeaver?src=hash

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 24, 2014, 9:13 p.m.

If the games are played in a milder climate, teams from northern countries will do better; food or fans do not have nearly as much effect. Time zone change has an effect if there isn't time to adjust, but they have time. Plus, there are a lot of South Americans playing outside of their continent and they have to make the adjustment too.

Soccer season is during the cooler part of the year in Europe, basically our hockey season, so playing in hot weather is atypical for the Europeans. Many players from warmer areas and the tropics, even if they play a few years in Europe, have still spent most of their lives conditioning and playing in the heat (we are talking mostly about guys in their 20s) …

June 25, 2014, 7:22 p.m.

This wasnt the finest moment in World Cup refereeing:

It would've been really cool to see the Greeks just pass it to the keeper and acknowledge the referee f*ck up. That's easy for me say from my behind my computer though.

June 26, 2014, 2:01 a.m.

this is also mandatory for canadians tonight ;)

June 26, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

this is also mandatory for canadians tonight ;)

I think those would sell well in Ghana and Portugal too …

Suarez at his FIFA hearing today …

9 game/4 month suspension.

June 26, 2014, 8:19 a.m.

This wasnt the finest moment in World Cup refereeing:

It would've been really cool to see the Greeks just pass it to the keeper and acknowledge the referee f*ck up. That's easy for me say from my behind my computer though.

I don't like the Greek team but the ref totally got the call right. It was a penalty shot.

Look at this angle.

June 26, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

It was absolutely the right call. It's amazing what different camera angles do and how people try and use it to their advantage.

June 26, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

I don't like the Greek team but the ref totally got the call right. It was a penalty shot.

Look at this angle.

It was absolutely the right call. It's amazing what different camera angles do and how people try and use it to their advantage.

Thats e-sarc that Im missing, right?

June 26, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

The Luis Suarez decision:
http://talksport.com/football/luis-suarez-handed-four-month-worldwide-football-ban-after-chiellini-bite-14062698536

- 9 match ban, effective immediately (which is severe, misses all of this WC and all the qualifiers for the next which could mean Uruguay doesnt get into the next)
- 4 month ban from ANY football-related activity (incl stadium ban, training ban, admin ban).
- 100000 Swiss Franc fine.

Id still liked to have seen more (again, from an LFC fan) but its also the harshest ban (i think) that FIFA has EVER handed out (the next in line was for an intentional leg break).

June 26, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

Germany [HTML_REMOVED] USA

Ghanaian goalie makes throws game? Tin foil says receiving yes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 26, 2014, 8:18 p.m.

Mad Dog Suarez . . .

June 26, 2014, 8:26 p.m.

Mad Dog Suarez . . .

And in 33 games this past season he won the scoring championship (31 goals) in England and tied for that in Europe (C Ronaldo). He also won player of the year.

June 27, 2014, 10:51 a.m.

FIFA sure took a bite out of Uruguay's World Cup prospects …

Thats e-sarc that Im missing, right?

It wasn't a deliberate foul (contact was almost certainly incidental) but its still a foul. The rules say that physical contact on a challenge is permitted but is ruled an offence "only when an opponent is adversely affected". You can make an attempt to take the ball away from an opponent by however means you want, but you can't physically alter the attempted movement of your opponent while doing so.

June 27, 2014, 6:03 p.m.

And in 33 games this past season he won the scoring championship (31 goals) in England and tied for that in Europe (C Ronaldo). He also won player of the year.

. . . and the Liverpuddians think the ban is unfair.

Three bites and yer out.

The guy has mental problems.
edit : or i should say mental health issues.

June 27, 2014, 6:19 p.m.

. . . and the Liverpuddians think the ban is unfair.

Three bites and yer out.

The guy has mental problems.
edit : or i should say mental health issues.

Psychological therapy and treatment should have been included with the ban.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk