2014 World Cup Thread

June 19, 2014, 7:28 a.m.

is football not popular in china? or what are the reasons they don't have a good team?

The Chinese have a few reasons they themselves say why they suck at football.

The professional leagues in China are all corrupt and matches are fixed
The players are corrupt and bought
Coaches have to save the face of star players and can't criticise their performance on the field in front of teammates
Young Chinese men are too individualistic
The Chinese language itself is not suitable for excelling at team sports

www.natooke.com

June 19, 2014, 7:46 a.m.

There's no ? in TEAM!!!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 19, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

Cahill for Australia has the goal of the tourney so far over Van Persie.

Pffft….are you kidding me? Persie was by far the goal of the century. Running and launching your head at a ball that is accurately hitting mesh is far more difficult (and painful).

:trinity:

June 19, 2014, 10:14 a.m.

is football not popular in china? or what are the reasons they don't have a good team?

Ask Drogba how well his two months in China went.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 19, 2014, 10:45 a.m.

Football is probably the most widely played sport worldwide. But believe it or not, football is pretty much a fringe sport in the 4 most populous countries on earth - China, India, the US and Indonesia (and 6 of the top 10 if you throw in Pakistan and Bangladesh) - those "non-football" nations are almost 1/2 the world's population (over 45%).

June 19, 2014, 10:48 a.m.

Pffft….are you kidding me? Persie was by far the goal of the century. Running and launching your head at a ball that is accurately hitting mesh is far more difficult (and painful).

:trinity:

That goal was amazing on a few levels. To even try a header from that far out, and to lob the keeper with that header, after running at full pace and beating the defenders. It was just all out ridiculousness.

June 19, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

You could kinda ask the same thing about the US. 350 million people, wealthy country, all the infrastructure needed… it may not be their #1 sport, but its certainly popular. It comes down to youth systems, coaching, development, the link between amateur-pro, etc.

June 19, 2014, 11:59 a.m.

That goal was amazing on a few levels. To even try a header from that far out, and to lob the keeper with that header, after running at full pace and beating the defenders. It was just all out ridiculousness.

It's definitely one for the highlight reels.

Gervinho's goal today was a great run.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 19, 2014, 12:12 p.m.

The only reason it would not make the Goal of the Tournament would be because it would be more appropriate for the category of "Circus Act" than "Football Goal".

June 19, 2014, 1:54 p.m.

Have to hand it England, they're certainly consistent.

June 19, 2014, 2:46 p.m.

Football is probably the most widely played sport worldwide. But believe it or not, football is pretty much a fringe sport in the 4 most populous countries on earth - China, India, the US and Indonesia (and 6 of the top 10 if you throw in Pakistan and Bangladesh) - those "non-football" nations are almost 1/2 the world's population (over 45%).

This really drives the point home:

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 19, 2014, 2:58 p.m.

Have to hand it England, they're certainly consistent.

Rooney doesn't blow that free kick wide, that's a whole different ball game. But alas, England still sucks

June 19, 2014, 3:17 p.m.

Rooney doesn't blow that free kick wide, that's a whole different ball game. But alas, England still sucks

.. or Rooney doesnt hit the bar from basically inside the net, or Rooney doesnt put it into the goalkeepers hands from 8 yards out.

I know he redeemed himself by scoring.. but he really should've had 2 or 3.

That said, no one was good.

Jagielka and Cahill looked scared of Suarez. Henderson is bland. Gerrard wasnt great. Sturridge was basically passing the ball into the goalkeepers arms. Welbeck was useless. The only player that I think was somewhat good was Baines.

June 19, 2014, 3:26 p.m.

June 19, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

My 5 year old is tougher than these guys.