2014 World Cup Thread

June 29, 2014, 11:44 a.m.

Really hate when games are decided by last minute penalties like that. Oh well. Netherlands was carrying the play pretty much since Mexico scored, so they deserved the win in the end.

Really don't like Robben though… Makes it hard to cheer for the Dutch

* Greece…

June 29, 2014, 2:56 p.m.

Dutch looked slow and tired. It was 38 C and humid. Mexico dominated the game, but couldn't put the Dutch away.

That's why the Dutch had.all the possession for the second half and were doing all the attacking.

Mexico ran out of steam, and also played to absorb the attack. Coach subbed on defenders for attackers.

As for winning on a penalty shot at the end of a game, the last minute of a game is no different than any other minute of the game.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 29, 2014, 2:59 p.m.

As for winning on a penalty shot at the end of a game, the last minute of a game is no different than any other minute of the game.

I disagree when they're iffy calls, which a number of the game deciding calls have been

June 29, 2014, 3:46 p.m.

It wasn't an iffy call, and the timing makes no difference.

This isn't hockey.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 29, 2014, 4:01 p.m.

Costa Rica!!

Holy party in San Jose tonight

June 29, 2014, 4:21 p.m.

Great save by Navas. Against the tide, Costa Rica goes thru.

Thread killer

June 29, 2014, 4:35 p.m.

It wasn't an iffy call, and the timing makes no difference.

This isn't hockey.

There are people in the world who fall like this for real, but none of them are pro athletes.

Sure ain't hockey.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

June 29, 2014, 6:08 p.m.

Good to see Costa Rica get the win, but the Dutch should easily be able to dispose of either team.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 29, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

That's why the Dutch had.all the possession for the second half and were doing all the attacking.

Possession was 55% to 45% for Holland, Van Persie was taken off after 76' with Holland down 0-1. Ochoa made 3 saves all game (plus 1 goal scored, 1 penalty kick scored) versus Cillessen's 5 (plus one score). Hardly a powerhouse performance from the Dutch team that has lead the World Cup in offense.

June 29, 2014, 8:13 p.m.

Mexico is a very good side with a defence that is hard to crack; Brazil couldn't score on them. They had more of the play in the first half, and that extra effort probably hurt them in the end. If overall possession was 55-45, then second half possession for the the Dutch must have been in the 60s, and if stats are important, the Dutch had 10 corners to Mexico's 2.

Ochoa was player of the game.

Van Persie was cooked - ran out of steam. Mexico tired at the end too. Read match reports; there will be a lot of similar comments.

Germany, Brazil, Netherlands, and Colombia can all win this.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 29, 2014, 10:51 p.m.

There are people in the world who fall like this for real, but none of them are pro athletes.

Sure ain't hockey.

This is why some people find soccer unappealing. The diving is just too much. A game with so much at stake shouldn't be decided by such an obvious dive.

Thread killer

June 29, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

Sure ain't hockey.

i watched a good chunk of the costa rica - greece game today. i had a good laugh a number of times, especially at the point where there were 3 CR players on the turf apparantly injured - all looking to see if the ref was taking notice. the hairspray on the goalies leg at one point was a nice touch too. it's like the most important skill to be a soccer player is drama/acting skills. the game is a joke and has no integrity b/c of all the bullshit that happens. it's not sport, it's 90 minutes of lying, cheating and deception.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 29, 2014, 11:08 p.m.

FIFA will no doubt review Robben's antics and it will come back and bite him and Netherlands. Doesn't help Mexico though. Robben openly admitted to diving today, though not admitting to the dive that won his team a penalty.

On a completely unrelated note, tacos were on the menu tonight for the team that undeservedly lost today on Robben's overacting.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 29, 2014, 11:55 p.m.

This is why some people find soccer unappealing. The diving is just too much. A game with so much at stake shouldn't be decided by such an obvious dive.

In soccer it's called diving. In hockey, it's called "embellishment". Getting paid to play does wonders for doing what it takes to win.

The rolling around like someone shot them is annoying, and it's a long time mystery why FIFA doesn't clamp down on it. When you get a real injury, which does happen a lot (Moreno broke his leg today), it's often hard to tell if it's real.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 30, 2014, 9:09 a.m.

mark i agree with your post , but if you just watch it as pure entertainment , without too much ( or any , for that matter ) attachment to the outcome , you are free to enjoy it for what it is : big spectacle with the hopes and dreams of the nation resting on the results .

my team , italy , went out early so now i just watch the games as an unbiased observer .