2014 World Cup Thread

June 24, 2014, 12:30 p.m.

So sad to see such talent with no control. Balotelli is another shining example of a real talent that loses it all the time.

Yup. Disappointing really.

Who would've bet on England and Italy to not advance?

Italian manager resigns after the lose.

So many South American teams advancing on

Depending on what happens tomorrow, Nigeria could advance having only scored one goal in group play so far.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 24, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

ok , i did not know that .

he is officially off my list of good sportsmen .

That was his third time as well. He also flirts with being a racist. Absolute minimum 1 year ban, from all competitions, minimum.
(This is coming from a Liverpool supporter)

June 24, 2014, 12:44 p.m.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 24, 2014, 1:09 p.m.

so why the F is he holding his teeth , like that is going to draw some kind of foul on the guy he bit ?

now i actually dislike the guy .

June 24, 2014, 1:22 p.m.

Twitter is teh funneez.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/who-can-resist-italian-subs-other-twitter-reaction-to-suarez-bite/

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Suarez?src=tren

https://twitter.com/hashtag/soccerbeaver?src=hash

June 24, 2014, 1:52 p.m.

He's a habitual biter.

The first time I saw Luis Suarez up close, I thought … "A soccer player with a mouthguard - cool." Then I realized that's no mouthguard. I bet being bit by him must feel like being bitten by a horse.

June 24, 2014, 2:31 p.m.

Apparently the max ban he can get is 24 months or matches… whichever is least. I hope he gets all of it.

June 24, 2014, 2:56 p.m.

Fu$%. Bring Vinny Jones out of retirement to smash the teeth out of that losers head. Goon style. There is probably a more relevant player for the job but that is all i could come up with. Not that he was an angel either.

What a fu#^n douche bag. 3 times penalized for biting??? Piss off and get out of the game forever.

WTF, Over?

June 24, 2014, 2:59 p.m.

Samaras trips himself and sends Greece to the knockout round. Brutal call for Ivory Coast.

If they're going to keep blowing this many penalties that are such big deciding factors in games, they should move the kicking spot back. Make it less of a guaranteed goal.

That or just instigate video replay like every other professional sport in the world…

June 24, 2014, 4:25 p.m.

2 year ban for Suarez please, restricting him to guest appearances on Walking Dead.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 24, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

Not to defend Suarez, but that image is photoshopped. Teeth marks weren't nearly that visible.

June 24, 2014, 5:05 p.m.

Yup. Disappointing really.

Who would've bet on England and Italy to not advance?

Italian manager resigns after the lose.

So many South American teams advancing on

Depending on what happens tomorrow, Nigeria could advance having only scored one goal in group play so far.

England was never a contender. They are rebuilding, and have some great prospects, but few expected them to go far.

South America is always strong. Brazil is favoured to win it all, which is like every cup. Argentina is always a favorite; they are the best qualifier from SA, along with Colombia. Uruguay was in semi finals of last World Cup, and won best SA team last year. Chile has very strong team, backed by star from Barcelona.

This tournament is often a team's to lose rather than to win. Some teams didn't step up.

The climate is also having an effect on the game. They should ban games in place like Manaus. Humidex of 41C in the evening is too hot.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 24, 2014, 7:21 p.m.

South America is always strong. Brazil is favoured to win it all, which is like every cup. Argentina is always a favorite; they are the best qualifier from SA, along with Colombia. Uruguay was in semi finals of last World Cup, and won best SA team last year. Chile has very strong team, backed by star from Barcelona.

South American teams do better when the World Cup is in South America, and European teams do better in Europe. Makes complete sense. Familiar climate, food, language, atmosphere, more fans etc. Every World Cup held in the Americas has been won by a team from the Americas. Every World Cup held in Europe has been won by a European team, with one exception - Brazil won in Sweden in 1958. If a non-Americas team could win a World Cup in Brazil, I would pick Holland this year.

June 24, 2014, 8:24 p.m.

Not to defend Suarez, but that image is photoshopped. Teeth marks weren't nearly that visible

Well, best notify CBC, BBC, SportsNet and USA Today then, because that's the image they're running.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/fifa-investigating-alleged-luis-suarez-bite-1.2686531

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28010944

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/world-cup-2014/luis-suarez-bites-italy-opponent-in-world-cup-game/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/luis-suarez-bite-italy-uruguay-world-cup

June 24, 2014, 8:30 p.m.

The climate can be harsh and has the most effect on teams (wait for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, if it happens). Here's an example of climate.

In the 1994 World Cup, players were not allowed to take drinks during play (only at half time). Ireland's coach Jack Charlton got shit for giving one of his players a water bottle, and he was rightfully outraged. The heat was ridiculous in New Jersey, and players walked off the field at the end of the game with salt caked on their faces and lips having lost up to 4kg. In the semi-finals, Brazil played Sweden in LA where it was 80F and not humid, while Italy played Bulgaria in New Jersey where is was 97F and 80% humidity. The latter two teams had one day less to recover and had to fly across the country for their finals. Both teams were zonked, and Italy played defense the whole game while Bulgaria lost decisively.

If the games are played in a milder climate, teams from northern countries will do better; food or fans do not have nearly as much effect. Time zone change has an effect if there isn't time to adjust, but they have time. Plus, there are a lot of South Americans playing outside of their continent and they have to make the adjustment too.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells