2013 - 2014 Canucks

March 4, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

Am I correct that Lu will still suck cap space out of the Canucks payroll for years to come … even after the trade? Seems to me that this was some sort of penalty because of the structure of his crazy ass 14 year contract or something.

Yikes….I hope not. If this is the case.
Off with Gillis head

March 4, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

Agreed. It was funny that they effectively kept this same team and expected the result to be different in subsequent years. When was the last time (prior to today) that they really made a positive trade?

Funny, I've felt the exact same way about the Penguins for the past 3 seasons :???:

March 4, 2014, 3:03 p.m.

the biggest mistake so far was trading schnieder. even if they got nothing in return at the time (which is essentially what they got today) trading luongo instead of schneider would have been the better move. at least they'd still have a top goalie.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 4, 2014, 3:06 p.m.

Agreed. It was funny that they effectively kept this same team and expected the result to be different in subsequent years. When was the last time (prior to today) that they really made a positive trade?

I won't disagree that they couldn't seem to get there even though they came so close, but "their time was over and to be ready for years of misery. this team is done for a while." isn't really the same thing. LOL.

It sounds more like what my brother always says regardless of the year because he knows I am a fan and it will piss me off (and eventually he might be right).

March 4, 2014, 3:10 p.m.

I won't disagree that they couldn't seem to get there even though they came so close, but "their time was over and to be ready for years of misery. this team is done for a while." isn't really the same thing. LOL.

It sounds more like what my brother always says regardless of the year because he knows I am a fan and it will piss me off (and eventually he might be right).

look back and the evidence is there, i just think the hope of a cup skewed people's vision. the team was not as strong as people thought. they definitely had some luck along the way as well.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 4, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

i won't be surprised if gillis is gone at the end of the season regardless of whether they make the playoffs.

if they do get it it's going to be a quick exit anyway.

Ellen Langer

March 4, 2014, 3:14 p.m.

look back and the evidence is there, i just think the hope of a cup skewed people's vision. the team was not as strong as people thought. they definitely had some luck along the way as well.

Yup. And then when things didnt work so well the next year… it was time to do some liquidation because the players still had value and were not totally found out. Now they dont and they are.

Its too bad, because at the time, they probably could've brought in some really exciting names.

if they do get it it's going to be a quick exit anyway.

yip

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Not many teams make it to a cup final without a bit of luck.

Like just about everything in life, the highs probably weren't as high as they seemed, the lows not as low.

It's a bit silly to look back on a President's trophy winning, cup final making team and think "Yep…should've blown 'em up then." Should've done more, for sure…but I think if you're going to argue that the team wasn't as good as people thought then, you could probably argue that the team isn't as bad as people think now, as well.

March 4, 2014, 3:40 p.m.

Not many teams make it to a cup final without a bit of luck.

Like just about everything in life, the highs probably weren't as high as they seemed, the lows not as low.

It's a bit silly to look back on a President's trophy winning, cup final making team and think "Yep…should've blown 'em up then." Should've done more, for sure…but I think if you're going to argue that the team wasn't as good as people thought then, you could probably argue that the team isn't as bad as people think now, as well.

i'm defnitely not saying they should have been blown up, but you did have the top players having career years and then prtety much disappearing in the playoffs. i think the team would be in a better place if the goalie situation had been dealth with differently, but that was a storm that started to brew when gillis gave luongo that contract. a lot of this mess began before the cup run, we're just seeing the effects of it now.

in the end it's a shame for hockey fans in this city.

Ellen Langer

March 4, 2014, 3:47 p.m.

Does any other team have a rookie goalie with only 25 NHL games as a starter? :eek:

March 4, 2014, 3:52 p.m.

I don't think they had luck, they were just not built for the way the playoffs were headed. The truth is that the 2011 SCF loss just gave a lot of people that didn't like the Canucks (which was a lot) a reason to claim they were not the real deal and they knew it all along despite coming within a game of the cup and winning the presidents trophy 2 years in a row (164 lucky games?). Even the 2012 playoff bump in the first round was not that indicative of the team's demise since they met the Kings on the most dominant playoff run in recent memory and certainly the greatest performance from an 8th seed of all time. It really wasn't until 2012-13 season that they lost their shine and stopped looking like a contender. Hardly the start of years of misery, but the lack of decent trades to match the strength in the west along with the goalie saga really started to take it's toll at that point.

I think most fans knew they were treading water at the start of this season and with the incredible performance of Hawks, Ducks, Sharks, etc trades were needed. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the known names are gone by next season and we'll see how it goes. The league is about to see a landslide of movement of players.

March 4, 2014, 3:55 p.m.

The problem with the Canucks is that they don't have enough actual Canucks on their team. Heart is going to win in playoffs.

:canada:

March 4, 2014, 4:03 p.m.

Anyone mention that lou and thomas are team mates yet?

I am not a fan of this trade. We have horvat for a centre and why not get huberdeau and some much needed youth sigh

I hope the boss is swift in a firing if there's to be one. Frightening to think what we'll get kesler if that happens.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

March 4, 2014, 4:09 p.m.

Does any other team have a rookie goalie with only 25 NHL games as a starter? :eek:

Flames Reto Berra only has 29 played